RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 PM   #1

2007 Monaco Camelot 42DSQ

Looked at this rig today...somewhat interested as it pushes most of our buttons: King bed, Tag axle, side radiator AND a bath and a half!!

But...not in the best shape, outside mirror on passenger side is missing. Awning over door was missing, couple of rock chips in windshield, stove cover missing, carpet in bedroom really dirty...most of those aren’t that big of a deal...but I feel they’re asking WAY too much!

Take a look and let me know what you think..please.

https://www.applewayrv.com/product/u...dsq-1114151-10
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
NADA low retail (my reference point when shopping) is $88K. For $130k you can buy a 07 Dynasty.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

Good morning, Spokane (My old home town)

Wow. First, that is a great looking coach! I do have some observations but they are mostly just for your consideration.

Chassis - Monaco was building coaches in what I consider to be three classes. The Camelot was what I think would be a great representative of the middle group. The big differences between the middle group and the top group include the chassis, the drive train choices and the glitz and glitter, if you will. The latter is not a quality issue, but rather a cost and quality issue so most of that is not that important to us. I am not a chassis expert, at all, but while the Camelot is not (I don't think - it wasn't in 2006) built on the S-Series chassis, it is still a great and well built coach. I would not be afraid of that. I suspect that the Camelots may be very comparable to at least some of the engine and transmission choices for the Dynasty, at least, in the upper coach group. When it comes to chassis, drive train and glitz and glitter, I would expect the Camelot to be a nice coach. (These three factors can and do come into play when establishing the value/price of a coach.)

AquaHot - I was noticing the floor vent for HVAC in a couple of the pictures that would suggest that the coach has a furnace instead of an AquaHot system. We wouldn't trade our AquaHot for anything, but it could be argued that the furnace option offers a higher "quality of heat" choice at a far lower installed cost. The furnace option is the classical choice for heating RV's, so while it's an observation, it's not a deal breaker, either way. (The HVAC design and implementation also comes into play when establishing the value/price of a coach.)

TV - I was trying to tell from the pictures, whether the front TV was original or had been updated. If it has not, while it might not be a big expense to do the job, there would be quite a bit of work to bring the entertainment system up to par for today's expectations. I'm assuming it has a satellite TV antenna of some type, and hopefully automatic, and hopefully with more than two LNB's so it can deliver the high quality pictures we've come to expect without a lot of manual manipulation.

Awnings/Toppers - It looks like all of the slide topper awnings are very tired. They are sagging a bunch. And you mentioned that the door awning was missing.

How is the paint - Coaches of this vintage have a history of having the paint in the very dark color areas "spider webbing" or checking. It turns the coach into a twenty-footer, but the coach still can look very nice. It's just frustrating to see it happen and not be able to do anything about it.

My first thought is that the coach is very overpriced. We have a one year older Dynasty that is in really very good condition. It does not have any major flaws that I know of and if someone offered us what they are asking for that coach you are looking at, I would probably break my wrist grabbing my key fob to hand it over to them.

In my opinion, if I were the buyer, for the price they are asking, I would want them to replace all of the slide toppers and the door awning, and the main awning too, if it isn't in really good condition.

I would require the mirror to be repaired and, depending on how you feel about it, maybe even the carpet replaced that is in trouble. And for us, the stove cover is pretty important. These coaches aren't long on counter space, and we definitely use the counter over the stove top when we aren't using the burners. Not so much on the kitchen sink cover(s). We do keep the right (smaller) half of our sink covered, again for the counter space.

A new windshield will probably cost between $2,000 and $2,500 to replace. Also, if the tires aren't free of checking or significant wear, and are more than six or seven years old, they could easily put you out another $5,000 to replace them.

You would want to be shown that the heating and air conditioning all works properly, whether it's a furnace and A/C's or if it's the AquaHot and heat pumps. I would hope it would have three heat pumps, if it has the heat pump option. Be shown that the generator has been taken care of and operates properly. Try to get an indication of the maintenance history on the coach. The engine, transmission, generator, etc. should have a service history that you can see and have.

For the price they are asking, I would not accept anything less than pristine. You can probably find Dynasty's and even Executive's in that price range that would be in really pretty good condition. I think that you are in an excellent position to demand a lot from them, and unless they are totally out of contact with reality, they will know that.

Check out other dealers on-line before you satisfy yourself that they are asking a fair price for that coach. It it turns out to be a good price, please let me know, and I'll re-think what I would be willing to sell ours for. Cheers and good luck to you in your searchings.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Difference Dynasty and Camelot

The biggest difference in a Camelot and Dynasty is how the house is fastened to the chassis. The Camelot’s aluminum house is bolted to the RR10S chassis while the Dynasty’s house is welded steel and part of the chassis... picture below and items 11 and 7.
The Dynasty does not have problems with popping windshields out or breaking them.
The Camelot doesn’t specify that it has a TRW steering gear box...may have the Sheppard which is not adjustable and many have replaced it with an adjustable TRW... #10 below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E60E54D-3B34-43D9-96F8-631323C84781.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	285676   Click image for larger version

Name:	480681D8-1E4D-4270-9C3F-664FC43F0E8B.jpg
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	285677  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8D1063DC-6B24-480F-A9B8-CDC84659D30A.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	285678  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:39 AM   #5

You have been given great advice and a lot of things to think about, there are people here that know much more than I do.

NADA works great for the dealers not the consumer especially if they are uninformed. Don't let a new polished rig make you overlook the deeper possible issues.

If simple things aren't taken care of or neglected then what about the important items, Brakes, tires, shocks, regular maintenance, water systems etc. these items can cost you $$$. Price out some if the items that concern you or you think should be replaced.

Just a few thoughts and only my opinion.

Good luck on your endeavor.
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The price seems high compared to what else is on the market.
I just checked RV Trader and there are 6 Dynasties of the same year listed for less money. A Camelot is at least 2 grades below the Dynasty.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think think the price is high as well.
If I was to sell my 2008 HR Scepter 42PDQ (seriously thinking about it) I would price it a lot less, probably closer to the 100K mark.
And it has a lot of extras and in better shape (Ok, minus one minor scrape)

Go to the different web sites (and google search) and you will find a lot of different prices (from way overpriced to what's wrong with it?) Find identical coaches and I'm sure you will find something better and or newer for $130K or less

Don't forget the search is half the fun!

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco