RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ

About to purchase a 2007 Monaco Diplomat. Has 34,000 miles, 400HP ISL Cummins engine, Roadmaster chassis, 4 slides & in really excellent shape. Is there any particular items or problems I should look for with this year? The coach is located at Lazy Days in FL!

Thanks for any info

countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had ours for five years with no problems.

Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here we go and at no particular order:

1. Make sure that the coach have a documented service history. Oil and lube in particular.
  2. Paint work / clear cote peels where walls joints up with the roof, and on the front and rear cap.
  3. Windows will puncture and get cloudy. Some will only be visible in certain light conditions, but will nevertheless be punctured.
  4. Slide-out toppers are stitched with thread that is rotting. They will need re-stitching or being replaced before they "give up the ghost" and leave the RV while you are doing 60MPH on the free-way.
  5. Norcold fridge needs to have latest recalls done, or even better - have the Amish system installed.
  6. Check the underside of the slide for de-lamination. Especially around the edges.
  7. Check the underside of the slides that they are not being "chewed up" by to small support rollers.
  8. Check the wind shield for damage/cracks and check that it sits well in the rubber seals all the way round. Many a wind shield have popped out of its setting.
  9. Faucets tend to leak because of the poor quality that Monaco installed.
  10. Give the tires and very close look. If they are the original GoodYears they could have "rivering" on the front tires. This will effect the ride considerably. Tires from 2007 or earlier will need replacing very soon. Not a cheap fix.
  11. The original Monroe shocks are most likely "shot" and will need replacing.

Make sure that Lazy Days carries out all repairs before you part with your money. We bought our RV from new from them in Florida, and we sat for a full month in their RV park while they sat on their hands. We had a list as long as your arm and they fixed close to nothing.

Everything is repairable and if you are handy with a wrench you could do all of it yourself - especially with the help of iRV2, but the more you can get Lazy days to do, the less you have to do.

I hope that my comment haven't put you off you too much, because basically it is a nice RV. You didn't mention the price? Did you check RVs for Sale, Used RV at RV OnlineŽ , Used Motorhomes, RVs, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Used Campers, and Used RVs ?

Here is an 08 for what I would consider a good price 2008*Monaco*Diplomat 40SFT w/3 Slides*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale .

Good luck on your purchase.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

I have the exact same coach with 35,000 miles. Had it for 2.5 years and think it is really a great coach. Never broke down or had a major issue and gets a consistent 8 mph for us at 60-65mph. Overall a solid coach in my opinion.

However, I've had the same issues as Danes Nos. 2, 4, 5 & 10, plus it has blown the exhaust manifold gasket, the hydraulic tank failed due to poor design (but welded and supported for nearly nothing), sanicon failed, and a couple minor things.

In addition to having them fix anything that is wrong, I would seek replacement of the likely big ticket items you'll soon have to purchase/fix: Goodyear tires are most likely rivering and need to be replaced ($3,500); check paint at the roof lines and front/rear cap ($2,500 repair); slide toppers are due to be replaced, request all new batteries if it has originals, shocks, repair/support the hydraulic tank, replace drive belt.

The 4-yr aftermarket warranty cost us about $3,500 or $4,000. We have about broken even on it so far with covered repairs costing about $3,500. Seems to be well worth the investment because you will definitely run into some issues over time.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

I have taken your advice & provided Lazydays with a complete list of all the potential problems. In addition, I told them I wanted all new tires! The Cummins engine problem is my biggest worry. I didn't see any info about the problem on their web site.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The Cummins engine and the Allison transmission are the most reliable componants on the Diplomat. They are both solid as a rock if maintained according to recommendations. Biggest risk for the engine is if debris can find its way past the airfilter and goes directly into the engine. Check filter and hoses carefully.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair
I have taken your advice & provided Lazydays with a complete list of all the potential problems. In addition, I told them I wanted all new tires! The Cummins engine problem is my biggest worry. I didn't see any info about the problem on their web site.

Thanks for the info
Here is the recall info. If you call Cummins with your engine serial # they will tell you if your engine is in the recall:

May 18,2007
Associate Administrator for Enforcement
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20590
Dear Sir or Madam:
The following information is submitted in accordance with the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration's reporting regulations, 49 CFR Part 5 73.6.
Cummins Inc. (Cummins) has decided that there is a potential safety-related defect with
respect to connecting rods in ISL CM850 diesel engines manufactured by Cummins and
installed as original equipment in those motor vehicles identified below.
1. Product identification and customer channels.
This defect involves Cummins ISL CMS5O diesel engines produced for recreational
vehicle applications between October 17,2005 and April 18, 2006. There are 2 159
engines in the subject population that we intend to campaign.
All ISL CM850 engines in the subject population are covered by this recall. The ISL
CM850 recreational vehicle ESNs eligible for this campaign range from 46543077 to
46603939. A complete listing of the subject populations by vehicle manufacturer is
attached in Appendix A.
2. Identification of the item: Connecting Rod
Engine Make: Cummins
Model: ISL CM850
Part Number: 3971 393
Function: Transmit energy from the piston to the crankshaft
3. Estimated extent of defect population.
Cummins estimates that approximately 3 3% of the subject population of engines could
experience a connecting rod failure. Cummins will pursue a 100% recall on all engines
in the subject population.
Cummins notes that the Company has voluntarily decided to conduct this recall.
Cummins Inc.
500 Jackson Street
Columbl~sI,N 47201 LISA
Phone 18123775000
cummins.com
07E-033
(4 pages)
4. Description of defect.
The connecting rod contains a machining defect in the wrist pin bushing of the rod that
could cause a seizure of the piston pin, which if allowed to progress, can lead to engine
failure with the possibility of the rod rupturing the block cavity, oil and debris on the
roadway and vehicle crash.
5. Chronology of events.
Over the later months of 2006, Cummins received reports of ISL CM850 engine failures
of recreational vehicles in the field. The failures were occurring on ISL CM850 engines
built after October 1 7, 2005.
In response to these reports, Cummins Service Engineering and Cummins Product
Engineering investigated the failures and coordinated problem solving activities. On
May 11, 2007, these activities led to a management decision to conduct a safety
campaign on ISL CM850 recreational vehicle engines built between October 17,2005
and April 18,2006.
To date, Cummins is not aware of any injuries, fatalities, or crashes that were the result
of this defect. It is estimated that approximately 3.8% of the subject population could
experience an engine failure.
6. Remedy program.
Cummins will recalibrate the engine control module. Additionally, Cummins will
enhance the Engine Protection System enabling it to provide early detection of the
failure mode and avoid more serious engine damage and resultant safety hazard. This
will involve installation of a new valve cover with a crankcase pressure sensor. Prior to
failure, the new crankcase pressure sensor will provide a signal to the dash with a red
light. A red lamp gives an indication to the driver to stop the engine as soon as it can
safely be done The campaign will be completed without charge to engine owners.
Cummins notes and emphasizes that all covered vehicles involved in the campaign were
sold with a 5- year or 100,000 mile warranty and are estimated to have extensive
warranty coverage remaining on these engines to cover future repairs as needed.
7. Part 577 notice letter.
The customer notice letter is in the process of being prepared and will be submitted in
draft to the agency as soon as possible.
8. Conduct of recall campaign.
Subject to concurrence of its OEM customers, Cummins will be conducting the
respective recalls with the customers of each OEM.
9. Customer/owner notifications.
Notifications are expected to begin in July 2007, once Cummins is in receipt of the
OEM recall authorizations and customer lists.
Please advise the undersigned of the recall campaign number assigned by the Office of
Defects Investigation to this recall. Cummins campaign code for this recall will be
C0713.
Sincerely yours,
Steven R. Butler
Director - Product Safety
Phone: 812-377-3713
Fax: 8 12-377-3265
E-mail : steven.r. butler@cummins.com
Appendix A
OEM No. of Engines
Country Coach 94
Foretravel 9
Freightliner Custom Chassis 666
Monaco 818
Spartan 499
Western RV 58
Cummins Distributors 15
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The ISL CM850 recreational vehicle ESNs eligible for this campaign range from 46543077 to 46603939.
Ask Lazy Days for the "Recreational Vehicle Data Card" for the vehicle. If they say they havent't got one - tell them to contact Monaco Service and ask for one. The Data Card is issued by Monaco and will be in their files.

Our 2007 Cummins engine has a serial number about 30,000 numbers higher than 46603939, so if this is a straight forward serial number you should be OK.

BTW - if you want to see the 2007 user manual, you can find it on my website.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Just a question, I am sure the right answer will fly back soonanyway were any of these engines used in the 2007 model year? I think the re-call letter that I got from Monaco indicated like less than 200 or so of their coaches built in late 05/ early 06 were canidates for the recall.

Also I think that the failure was occuring within the first 1000 miles. That was good becaues I had about 6000 on my rig when I received the notice and had mine done.

If the recall has not been done yet, its still free right.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #10

What is the asking price on the coach if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is my guess!

"Sale pending" on the sticker?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #12

$159,900

Tags
monaco