Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

2007 Monaco Knight

Hello, my parents are looking to get into their first Class A from various 5th Wheel trailers. I've been reading lots on the forums and have found this one. Used MotorHomes
What do you think in general? They want to spend under $100k, I really think that a Diesel Chassis would be much better then a Gas, even with the extra price hit.

Thanks for the guidance.
Cummins610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is the Monaco website for some comparison features. http://www.monacocoach.com/monaco/brochures.htmlI personally think you can upgrade a model or two for that price. Also, I think you might find that coach slightly underpowered depending on the terrain you will visiting. Take you time and do some reading and become familiar with potential problem areas to look for. This website has some very knowledgeable people available to help you out. Use the search engine here to find out all you can before you jump in and buy. Also, let us know how the coach will be used.....weekends, a few months at a time, full-time, parked for 6 month seasonally. Look carefully at the differences between the chassis on different models and read what is reported on this site. Will they be towing a vehicle and if so what weight? How new are the tires on the coach? Side or rear radiator (rear on the model you are looking at). Washer/dryer vented or not? How many slides and what is the weight carrying capacity? A tag axle will give you more capacity and will likely be more stable and easier to drive than a non tag. ( not in ever case though). Most important is to get good service records and past history if at all possible. Otherwise you have to start over with replacing all fluids, hoses, etc to establish a base. Good luck in your hunt and welcome to IRV2.com.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well I have the same MH only in the PDQ and love it.Had a few issues but all in all it has been great. As far as power, it will get the job done without any problems. Yea everybody wants more power but that power train will do you just fine. I pull a 5000 lb toad and have no problems.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #4

I'm not a fan of the fridge in the slide. Some folks report that the cooling is not as good as having a "chimney" going straight up. The ones in a slide have side vents. Also, if you put as much food and beverage in that fridge as we do in ours, it certainly add a large amount of weight to the slide.

Some people are replacing their propane/electric fridge with a desirable residential unit and having the fridge in a slide restricts the height of residential fridges that you can choose from.

A fridge in the slide does open up the floor space nicely when the slide is extended, just be sure you still have good access to the fridge when all the slides are closed up. If you stop for lunch at a rest stop, you most likely will not be able (nor should you) extend the slides. It would be very rare to have that much room in the parking area.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We run the 2007 Monaco Knight DFT, and love it. The earlier comment about the fridge does not relate to our experience - our fridge in the slide has performed flawlessly in both electric and propane. And as recently as last weekend in Laredo TX (102 degrees every day) - still making ice cubes faster than we could use them! We have not found the Cummins ISC to be underpowered for our needs - we haul a small Ford Fiesta. Yeah, we will not be taking any Rocky Mountain passes at 70 mph, but that is ok by me. We believe it is the journey and not the destination, though I have to admit, we are heading to the Yukon in a few weeks, and that is one destination I am looking forward to! If the floorplan meets your needs, go for it!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's certainly a nice coach, but I wouldn't consider it a "steal" at that price. There's a lot of great used DPs on the market now and book value doesn't mean much.

Take your time. I think the earlier comment about being able to "upgrade" to a higher priced model for that price is probably right on the money.

Best of luck.

Rick

BTW, we have a fridge in our slide and love it. I'm sure it's a problem is some cases but we even use the cabinet above it to store bottled water and beer and haven't found the weight to be an issue.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco