Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2007 Patriot Thunder Electrical Mystery

I have simultaneously lost the passenger map light, DS and PS overhead cockpit lights, the porch light, grab handle lights, and the sliding step well cover.

All fuses appear to be fine. With the ignition ON the affected panels don't show LED test indications, but some of the "dark" panels contain items that operate normally.

Anyone have this happen before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Run Panel .jpg
Views:	87
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	89174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	89175  

RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you looked through these links.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2474317]Have you looked through [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/beaver-owners-technical-information-94028.html
these links.[/URL][/B]
Thanks, 007

One of the secondary postings in those threads in fact led me to the only 2007 Patriot Thunder owners manual I've found on line.

Sadly, I have no electrical diagram for the rig, which came with almost no documentation.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

Hi there "RVneophytes"

I don't know how similar the '07 Patriot Thunder is to the '06 Dynasty, but from the look of your picture, they are likely quite similar. I made a drawing of the coach battery DC system for our coach, and it might be of at least some help. it is attached. I've also attached a drawing that I made of the rear run panel. I'd be curious what you find. But if yours is like ours, there are four breakers stacked on the right side of the Big Boy. The second one down from the top feeds through the lower of the two relays just to the right of them to the front run panel and the circuits you can see on the other drawing.

I'd probably start checking at the front run box with the cable that comes from the rear of the coach. In the front run box, if our rigs are similar, you will have four lugs on the left wall of the box. The top two are probably bussed together. On ours, the bottom lug closest to you is the landing for the cable coming from the rear run box. Check for voltage, there. You can get a reference ground from the ground bus in the upper right corner of the run box.

If you have voltage there, the problem has to be with the feed to your board or boards. If you don't have voltage, check for voltage on the breaker and the relay that I described that you will find in the rear run box. If the really is not passing current, check the voltage on the coil terminals, and go from there. Those are associated with the "salesman switch".

All of the circuits I described above feeds boards #11, #12, #13, #14 and #15 in the front run box. On these boards, the fuse terminal closest to the LED's is the 12V supply bus for the card. They are all commoned. So you can check to see if the board has 12V present by testing any one of those fuse lugs.

Good luck!

PS: The drawings for our '06 Dynasty say that they are also applicable to the '06 Patriot. So chances are good that our designs are quite similar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Single Line - Domestic Battery Basic Single Line.pdf (79.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf Rear Run Panel.pdf (38.7 KB, 47 views)
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
All fuses appear to be fine.
Appear? Did you just look at them visually?

You really need to use a meter or test light to check fuses. Quite often a fuse can look good, but still be bad because of a small crack in the fusible element. Sometimes a bad fuse is obviously blown, sometimes it looks perfect yet still is bad.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Super Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Appear? Did you just look at them visually?

You really need to use a meter or test light to check fuses. Quite often a fuse can look good, but still be bad because of a small crack in the fusible element. Sometimes a bad fuse is obviously blown, sometimes it looks perfect yet still is bad.

That's a good point for those reading this thread in the future.

I've used my little puller-tester so much that its teeth are nearly gone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuse tester.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	89249  
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Problem Isolated, I Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Hi there "RVneophytes"

All of the circuits I described above feeds boards #11, #12, #13, #14 and #15 in the front run box. On these boards, the fuse terminal closest to the LED's is the 12V supply bus for the card. They are all commoned. So you can check to see if the board has 12V present by testing any one of those fuse lugs.

Good luck!

PS: The drawings for our '06 Dynasty say that they are also applicable to the '06 Patriot. So chances are good that our designs are quite similar.
Well, I've always wanted to do electrical work badly, and now I am

First, the row of lugs along the bottom are checked for voltage; all except the one fed by the upper relay are powered. That is the one that supplies the front run box.

Next, voltage is checked at the upper of the two relays. On the inboard side of the relay, 12V. The outboard (right) side is dead.

Then, we check the continuity of the lead to the relay, it is good.

I'm thinking a new relay is required... A new one is available at Sherry Butler's RV Power Parts Plus website HERE.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	89256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2537.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	89257  

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	89258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	89259  

Old 03-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #8

Try toggling the "salesman" switch by the door, two or three times. If it is that relay, you can check two things. First, put your hand on it while your "significant other" toggles the switch to verify that it is physically operating. (It won't shock you.) Second, if it is physically operating, there's a good chance that after a closure or two, you will have power.

If it doesn't operate, check for voltage on the operating coil terminal.

Than, go for buying the replacement relay. Again, good luck to you. You are on the right track!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I'm thinking a new relay is required...
Yes, it sounds like power is not getting past the relay. But did you check if the relay coil has power? If the coil is powered, and there is no power getting past the relay contacts, then the relay is bad. But if the coil does not have power, then the contacts are supposed to be open and you can't make any assumptions about the relay, you would have to track down why the coil isn't being energized first.

(Sorry if this is obvious, like the fuse tester, but it's not clear from your description whether you tested this.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Relay Was the Culprit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Yes, it sounds like power is not getting past the relay. But did you check if the relay coil has power? If the coil is powered, and there is no power getting past the relay contacts, then the relay is bad. But if the coil does not have power, then the contacts are supposed to be open and you can't make any assumptions about the relay, you would have to track down why the coil isn't being energized first.

(Sorry if this is obvious, like the fuse tester, but it's not clear from your description whether you tested this.)
It turned out that the relay was the culprit: simply plugging in a repacement worked. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, 007

One of the secondary postings in those threads in fact led me to the only 2007 Patriot Thunder owners manual I've found on line.

Sadly, I have no electrical diagram for the rig, which came with almost no documentation.
I have a complete wiring diagram/wiring/schematic book for my 06 Beaver PT that probably is real close to what you have. If you need any drawing from it I can shoot a pic of them and send them to you, just let me know what you need.

Lee
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Photo of Schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee0920 View Post
I have a complete wiring diagram/wiring/schematic book for my 06 Beaver PT that probably is real close to what you have. If you need any drawing from it I can shoot a pic of them and send them to you, just let me know what you need.

Lee
What a magnficent idea! Many thanks. If it fits as an attachment to this thread, all the better. I mean, someone in a similar pickle might stumble upon it years from now.

If it doesn't fit, drop me a private msg and I'll happily send an email address.

Tags
electrical