Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

2008 40 Monaco Diplomat PDQ in a 13’ door

Hi, new member here. I just purchased a 2008 40’ Monaco Diplomat and my storage has a 13’ high door. The brochure says the coach height is 12’10” and to add 5” for the satellite that puts me at 13’3”. Is it possible to drop the air bags to drive it inside the 13’ door? Once inside the height is much higher.
Mit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 12:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My older Monaco drops 4"s with the air dumped! You will have to see how much yours does drop, then make sure it does not automatically air back up when you put it in gear! Last thing you need is it to air up halfway in! May have to time it, see how long it takes to air back up, if it does, as most do, when you put it in gear! How fast can you back it in?
If you get it lined up, and dump your air, and are quick?
Also you can take a straight 2"/4" and stick it from the top of your roof, measure to the ground, then measure to the highest point, add the two, to get a really close idea of how high you coach really is!
Rail!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #3

Raise the door

I know you are trying to avoid this, but if you want to get it in and out and back in again, bite the bullet and raise the door height...add a panel, add a section to the track. Lift brackets inside. Adjust the frame, trim and siding. For what you paid for the rig, you may as well drive in and out without having to think about this.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the satellite dome? Most of these set up for Direct TV do not work anyway so you could remove it.
Are your AC units the low profile Dometic Penguin models (about 9.5")? Sometimes they are swapped for the taller Brisk Air.
Do you have the Power Gear air leveling system?
It is also important that the driveway in front is close to level.
Your antennas are going to hit so make sure they are the spring base design.
Make sure you accurately measure the door.

If you remove the satellite system and manually lower the coach I think you can make it. Back up to the door and climb on the roof and look it over. Then you will need two dependable spotters placed in a good position.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Thank you for the replys.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would try to increase the door height if possible.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If he dumps the air, isn't he also going to lose brakes?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
Hi, new member here. I just purchased a 2008 40’ Monaco Diplomat and my storage has a 13’ high door. The brochure says the coach height is 12’10” and to add 5” for the satellite that puts me at 13’3”. Is it possible to drop the air bags to drive it inside the 13’ door? Once inside the height is much higher.
Brochures are written by marketing folk. The first thing I'd do is measure YOUR coach. I spent decades in marketing. Trust me (marketing speak), measure the coach.

Cheers,
Old 07-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Brochures are written by marketing folk. The first thing I'd do is measure YOUR coach. I spent decades in marketing. Trust me (marketing speak), measure the coach.

Cheers,
yep, marketing has a two drink minimum so make sure to measure your own coach.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My '05 Dip measures 12'2" (no sat. dish) sneaks in my 13' door, barely. The door doesn't travel all the way parallel to the floor, so I lose a few inches of clearance. Plus, the driveway has a slight incline into the garage, which adds a few inches to the height to the coach. I can hear the radio antennas hit. Whew! I've never heard anyone say it's an ok idea to drive with the air dumped.
bklaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
With air leveling you can lower it and move at a slow speed while lowered BUT you will find when you measure it’s not that tall. My new ride is 12’6” at the edges with the raised rails for the awnings and 12’8” to top of Sat dish.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #12

Thanks guys. I planned on measuring the height and all of you have confirmed that I should.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
MIT12, I have the sister to your coach, a 2008 Endeavor 40PDQ, you cannot dump the air bags and still have reliable brakes, if any. When you dump the air to lower the coach, it dumps all the air tanks, not just the air bags.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #14

Air is what lets the brakes release no air pressure will set the brakes to where it won't move. If you are able to move it with the air dumped on the suspension make sure you check front tire clearance to body before you turn your steering. On my coach, I always make sure I have my steer tires straight before I dump the air. On mine, I can dump the suspension air and not loose pressure in the rest of the system.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, monaco, monaco diplomat