Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #15

I removed the Power steering cooler today and brought it to my radiator shop. it has a pin hole in the center. brought it to a weld shop to get tig welded but the guy couldnt get to the spot. so looks like I may need a new one.

Does anyone have a source for a aftermarket cooler that would work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering cooler.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	260179  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I would think some shop could fix that... Even if they had to basically plug that one core. Probably would still provide enough cooling.
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #17
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. Check a good radiator shop. They should be able to recore it. The in/out fittings and mounting hardware would be reused .

While you are at it, you may want to check the charge air cooler. Those orange seals give out and it needs to be repaired. If it got twisted, it might have cut some of them.

Good luck! I’m blown away by your energy!
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #18

made some more progress this weekend. did some welding on the cracked arm that supported the front air bag. then fabricated a new rear wheel cover. made it half at a time since I used the mold from my front cover. . Man I hate fiberglass. after 2 showers I still itch..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	welding.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	260477   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel cover1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	260478  

Name:	wheel cover2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	260479  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #19

Hi. Haven't had much chance to work on the Motor home lately. But I did get the new windshield installed. it took about 3 hours to complete. I was a bit fearful i would crack it but all went well.
Since the prior windshield and gasket was missing I really had no idea what the gasket looked like. I could have save a bunch of money buying a gasket from another source other than coach glass. but I got the windshield and gasket quick. I picked it up from the local shipping hub so I just left it on my work truck and the tool boxes were almost the exact height of the bottom of the Beaver. I recruited my wife to help lift it into place and worked the gasket around with some wooden knifes I made out of shims. I then used some soap water and a bent tip scratch awl tool from harbor freight to lock the outside seal in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	windshield1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	264462  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #20

so I am having a bit of a problem with the turn signals. The do not work. no noise no nothing. could be unrelated but no brake light works either. did just find a fuse f81 that was blown. I changed it out but did not fix the issue.
headlights, tail and running lights and reverse all seems to be fine.
Any help on this would be welcome
Old 10-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #21

Wow, I am super impressed with your fabrication abilities. When you purchased coach did it come with a salvage title.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Wow, I am super impressed with your fabrication abilities. When you purchased coach did it come with a salvage title.
Thanks. yes it has a salvage title.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #23

Are the doors also fiberglass.
Amazing job on the glass work.
I can't seem to glass a tiny area without looking like 4 yr. old in a mud puddle.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Great job on the body part fabbing.... I feel worthless now for buying a used front cap for my project!
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
What is your fiberglass process? Are you alternating layers of 1708 and Chopped-strand (or similar layering mix)?

How many layers did you use (what thickness) for a fender or generator cover?

And, what kind of resin are you using (epoxy, polyester, etc.)?

Great job. Good luck with everything.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
I would think some shop could fix that... Even if they had to basically plug that one core. Probably would still provide enough cooling.
Quite true...
More years than I want to think about I had a Ford Falcon station wagon... A replacement water pump had a catastrophic failure on the freeway one day and the hub with the fan still attached flew into the radiator. At the time I could not afford a new radiator, or even a new core. The radiator shop rodded out the remaining cores and plugged the damaged 6 cores and told me that cleaning out the gunk got back more cooling than the 6 that they closed off would cost me...

I drove that car for several more years before it got totaled.... Didn't have any cooling issues. I was forced to retire it when it was T-boned right through the drivers door by a Chrysler New Yorker at 35 MPH...

Mike
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #27

The doors are all aluminum. Yes I alternated chopped strand and woven. about 2 layers of each but some areas maybe another layer. So first I am making a piece to make my mold from. one the mold is made i start with mold release, 2 coats of gel coat, then lay up the fiberglass. I did have some trouble with the inside corners because of the 90 degree bend. then I mixed some resin with bondo and created a small cove over the gel coat. this allowed the cloth to make more of a gradual bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What is your fiberglass process? Are you alternating layers of 1708 and Chopped-strand (or similar layering mix)?

How many layers did you use (what thickness) for a fender or generator cover?

And, what kind of resin are you using (epoxy, polyester, etc.)?

Great job. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #28

I was following your project. Everything we do on these takes huge amounts of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Great job on the body part fabbing.... I feel worthless now for buying a used front cap for my project!

Tags
beaver, rebuild