Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

2008 Camelot 42 roadside Bedroom slideout update

Discovered rear side of slide out was about 1/2 lower than the front side. Put some planks under it and slowly raised it till it was level. Went in bedroom and was able to see the front roller without removing anything. It looked fine. Lifted up the bed and took the thin plywood platform off and discovered the rear roller and that it was damaged. I was able to get a socket on the four lag screws that attached the roller to the camper frame and remove it (see pic attached). Because that roller was so far out of adjustment it was causing the rubber outer wrapping to start to come off (see pic attached). The biggest mystery to me right now is how this roller got so far out of adjustment. It was secured with four big lag screws and did not look like it had moved. The rear side of the slideout was definitely about 1/2 inch lower than the front side (used rule on the outside and measured distance from bottom of slide to opening is wall of camper. This is what was causing the the bedside cabinet to rub on the floor carpet and the slideout to hesitate when going in and out. Has anyone ever seen this before and have any idea what might have caused it. I am going to start calling parts dealers to find a new roller and looks like I can actually move the roller unit over about an inch and drill new screw holes for mounting. But before I do I am really concerned what caused this and how to prevent it from happening again. Thanks for any info or ideas. Getting ready to go on an 8 week trip through New England and trying to prevent any "surprises"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	164942  
jwm4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

Can't help with your question, but I interested in how you raised your slideout. Planks to distribute the force, that I understand, what did you use to generate the force.

I'm interested since the slide is generally around 4 or 5 feet above the ground. Not a lot of jacks that height.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm4007 View Post
Discovered rear side of slide out was about 1/2 lower than the front side. Put some planks under it and slowly raised it till it was level. Went in bedroom and was able to see the front roller without removing anything. It looked fine. Lifted up the bed and took the thin plywood platform off and discovered the rear roller and that it was damaged. I was able to get a socket on the four lag screws that attached the roller to the camper frame and remove it (see pic attached). Because that roller was so far out of adjustment it was causing the rubber outer wrapping to start to come off (see pic attached). The biggest mystery to me right now is how this roller got so far out of adjustment. It was secured with four big lag screws and did not look like it had moved. The rear side of the slideout was definitely about 1/2 inch lower than the front side (used rule on the outside and measured distance from bottom of slide to opening is wall of camper. This is what was causing the the bedside cabinet to rub on the floor carpet and the slideout to hesitate when going in and out. Has anyone ever seen this before and have any idea what might have caused it. I am going to start calling parts dealers to find a new roller and looks like I can actually move the roller unit over about an inch and drill new screw holes for mounting. But before I do I am really concerned what caused this and how to prevent it from happening again. Thanks for any info or ideas. Getting ready to go on an 8 week trip through New England and trying to prevent any "surprises"

There was quite a bit of discussion of this topic a few years ago on another forum I frequent. With the slide all the way out, look at the underneath part of the slide from outside, where the roller will support the weight. You can probably see black roller marks on that surface. Some times that surface is actually damaged where the rollers are. It's plywood and will on occasion get crushed by the weight of the rollers/slide. If that is the case, several people solved the problem by mounting metal 'runners' for the rollers to run on. Something like 1/8-3/16" stock. The metal sheet needs to be a few inches wider that your roller and long enough so roller stays on it during full slide in/slide out operation. Counter sink pan head screws or mount the screws outside of the roller operation. You don't want the rollers to be hitting the screws.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Can't help with your question, but I interested in how you raised your slideout. Planks to distribute the force, that I understand, what did you use to generate the force.

I'm interested since the slide is generally around 4 or 5 feet above the ground. Not a lot of jacks that height.
With the slide fully out, I've used a heavy bottle jack, put a vertical wood 4x4 on top of it and on top of the vertical 4x4, I put a horizontal 4x4. You can only pick up a slide an inch or two before the top of slide will start hitting the bottom of the 'slide hole' in the coach. Gotta be careful though, you can damaged the slide if you just keep cranking on that bottle jack.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

That is exactly what I did. I used an old boat jack. put a short piece of 4x4 vertical on top of it and used a 2x8 flat across the bottom of the slide out. I measured how far up from the opening in the wall to the bottom of the slide on the side that was ok. I then measured the other side of the slide and it was lower by 3/8 of an inch because of the damaged roller. I then slowly jacked up that side till it was the same height. I put the 2/8 and jack very close to the side of the side of the camper to prevent any twisting. Worked fine.
jwm4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cass Hudson is a good source for replacement rollers.

https://casshudson.com

Call Cass Hudson 800-423-1511 and ask for Debbie. She is very knowledgable and will help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Cass Hudson is a good source for replacement rollers.

https://casshudson.com

Call Cass Hudson 800-423-1511 and ask for Debbie. She is very knowledgable and will help you.

And Monaco may have them in stock because they replaced two of ours in Coburg in March.

Cheers,
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
And Monaco may have them in stock because they replaced two of ours in Coburg in March.

Cheers,

No highjack of thread here, how was Coburg, do they still have a parts person and department?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
No highjack of thread here, how was Coburg, do they still have a parts person and department?
I can't compare it to the "old" regime because this was our first visit to the mothership, but there were lots of people working on lots of coaches in March when we went in. They had our Aquahot and slide parts in stock. We needed a custom piece of SS plate fab'ed and they had it done overnight locally.

Cheers,
Old 06-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
I can't compare it to the "old" regime because this was our first visit to the mothership, but there were lots of people working on lots of coaches in March when we went in. They had our Aquahot and slide parts in stock. We needed a custom piece of SS plate fab'ed and they had it done overnight locally.

Cheers,

Good to know.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2004 Monaco/Safari Zanzibar and the slide roller on the passenger side slide (kitchen) has gone bad. It looks just like the one in the #1 post above but is longer. I can't find a part # on it. Haven't called Monaco yet.. that is for tomorrow. Thought I would ask if anyone knows who the manufacture is for these rollers? I have the old one off, just need a replacement. I will also call alll the obvious Monaco suppliers of parts as well till I exhaust resources or find it.

Thanks everyone. I an confident someone knows the source!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco certainly has them. 800-509-3417. I had two replaced and I don't recall the cost for the parts being too bad.

Cheers,
Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As stated, contact Cass-Hudson, at number above, they make those rollers and assemblies for the industry. Just bought and replaced a roller on bed slide of our Dynasty, looked just like that roller in number 1. Found no other damage anywhere. Less that $30 from Cass-Hudson, roller only. Monaco sells roller and brackets for about $100 for the 5" and more, obviously, for the 11". Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thought I posted a reply, but doesn't see it actually posted :( I called Monaco, they have the full assembly for app. $98 Call Cass Hudson they have what I need for $29 -- it's on the way.

Tags
slide, slideout