Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well, he did say his waste tanks were resting on his water 'pump', not water tank.

You really think that's what he meant ?

If he did it must be sagging worse than I thought .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 06:50 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post

Ray
On our 2006 Diplomat the gray and black tanks extend out past the fresh water tank on the road side. The water pump is directly beneath the gray tank mounted on the wall. If you look in the following photo you can make out the water pump in the lower left. The fresh water tank is on the floor behind the two heaters. The plywood does not extend that far and may not be intended for support but has some other purpose.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadside view of tanks before SeeLevel.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	204415  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
On our 2006 Diplomat the gray and black tanks extend out past the fresh water tank on the road side. The water pump is directly beneath the gray tank mounted on the wall. If you look in the following photo you can make out the water pump in the lower left. The fresh water tank is on the floor behind the two heaters. The plywood does not extend that far and may not be intended for support but has some other purpose.

Bob

Bob , yes I see the pump in there ,
amazing how much stuff monaco has
installed in your compartment .
Literally , most of that equip is scattered all over my coach .
The good side is most is probably easier
to get to , the bad is it uses up more
valuable space .
I appreciate your pictures , they are eye opening for me .
Ray
Old 05-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post

Bob

Why does it appear as though six or seven water lines are disconnected from something? Was something needed to be removed to take this picture?

Rick
Old 05-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post

Ray

After looking at Bob's compartment from
the other end , the pump side , it now appears that sagging onto the pump is exactly what he meant .
From the conversation before and thinking of my setup I never imagined
even the possibility , my bad .

A support of that overhanging end may

be all that is needed .

Ray
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #20

Based on what I can tell from the two pictures, I would probably recommend emptying all three tanks, get a strategic measurement from the left and right sides where the tanks are probably not sagging and purchase three Cypress 2 x 4’s and rip them all the same height. Obviously the pump needs to be removed and could potentially be re-installed on the cantilever side of one of the 2 x 4’s with the addition of a plywood backing, that would run past the clear water tank to support the unsupported black tanks. The 2 x 4‘s would be using the stronger edges of the clear water tank for support, usually the clear water tanks are stronger and more flexible. An additional piece of plywood may need to be inserted between the black tanks and the new 2x4’s where there is no plywood at this time. This is all assuming that you’re clear water tank is very well supported by the bottom of the coach.

Another option might be if you could slide a sheet of plywood on top of the clear water tank, Jack up the black water tanks to the proper height and spray expansion foam between the two plywood sheets using a long spray nozzle.

Keep in mind if these tanks settle too much they can crack at joining branch pipes going to each plumbing fixture, they can also pull the vent pipes out of there sealant on the roof, jacking them up could also cause cracking and sealant that needs to be re-addressed.

Rick
Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Why does it appear as though six or seven water lines are disconnected from something? Was something needed to be removed to take this picture?

Rick
Definitely something was removed. Here are a few more photos to explain. The first is what the service bay looks like today. And the second is the panel that was removed to gain access to the tanks, etc. when we installed the SeeLevel system. The SeeLevel sensor for the fresh water tank can be installed on the opposite side but the black and gray must be installed on the road side because those tanks are sloped on the curb side. That panel has been removed three times for various reasons. One was to install the power water hose reel in the upper right.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Service bay.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	204553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removed panel.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	204554  

Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #22

My set up is just as Nodines. When checking the curb side there is no problem.
It is hard to tell what is happening but it’s possible my tanks are sagging in the foot or so beyond the plywood support on the road side. It is really hard to tell without removing my white panel in the wet bay.

In looking at Nodines, mine also sits on the plywood and then the water tank. Note that the Bay doors are not wide enough to replace the plywood without removing the black and gray tanks and angling the plywood.

My tank is resting on and pushing on the water pump quite excessively and that is in the wet bay.

I do believe the fix is as others have suggested and figure out a way to get an additional support in there. This will require removing the white panel in the wet bay. Once I tackle this I will let everyone know what I’ve found. I wished I wasn’t the first to experience this.
Doug.terri5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug.terri5 View Post
My set up is just as Nodines. When checking the curb side there is no problem.
It is hard to tell what is happening but it’s possible my tanks are sagging in the foot or so beyond the plywood support on the road side. It is really hard to tell without removing my white panel in the wet bay.

In looking at Nodines, mine also sits on the plywood and then the water tank. Note that the Bay doors are not wide enough to replace the plywood without removing the black and gray tanks and angling the plywood.

My tank is resting on and pushing on the water pump quite excessively and that is in the wet bay.

I do believe the fix is as others have suggested and figure out a way to get an additional support in there. This will require removing the white panel in the wet bay. Once I tackle this I will let everyone know what I’ve found. I wished I wasn’t the first to experience this.
Doug,

Getting that panel out is a chore. You must reach up from below and work blind to disconnect some of the water lines. After everything is removed let the panel drop down so the top of the panel will clear the compartment door opening. Next flex the panel so each side will pass thru the opening. If there is anything you need to do while that panel is out be sure and do it. If you think you would like to install SeeLevel tank sensors then do that while the panel is out.

I am not sure if Monaco corrected their poor electrical design on your model year. On our coach 90% of the AC duplex outlets in the coach are powered from one single 15 amp breaker on the inverter. We tired of going out at bath time to reset that breaker when a air dryer, etc. was turned on. While the wet bay panel is out is a good time to add a few duplex outlets to the bath area for hair dryers, electric heaters, etc. If you look in the upper left of our wet bay panel you will notice a 20 amp electrical twist type connector. A romex cable is routed from there across the top of the tanks to the opposite side of the coach and then up beneath the vanity. Two duplex outlets are installed, one below that vanity and one in the hallway. When we connect to shore power we connect that power cord. Comes in handy in cool weather to keep the wife warm with a small heater.

PS Where that 20 amp twist connector is was where the crappy tank level sensor used to be. After the SeeLevel was installed it was junk and we removed both that one and sawed out the one in the control panel. The hole in the control panel was used to house our solar charger monitor.

Bob
Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #24

Bob,

This is all very good advice! I appreciate all of the comments from everyone and I think I'm on my way to figuring out a solution. It may be a couple of weeks but when I have the time to tackle this I'll post pictures.

Thank you
Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #25

The fix

Hi all!

I thought I'd try to post photo's of the sagging holding tanks in the 2008 Diplomat. I put a piece of angle iron across the outside edges of the tanks. I glued and screwed a piece of 3/8" wood to the angle iron to keep the metal from contacting the tank and screwed this to the sidewall using heavy machine screws.

The tanks had actually settled about 2" down and made it very difficult to hook up the slinky and, the black water tank was actually pushing down onto the water pump.

I've put a new impeller in the sanicon and replaced the water hose in the reel as well as replaced all water line washers.

I'll see how this works.

Doug
Attached Images

Tags
tank