Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #15

I was about to ask if you had heard anything on the Arms. Wednesday will be three weeks for mine being ordered. I didn't think the two weeks Jim stated was going to hold up. Mine are not broken and the inspection I did doesn't show any issues to the naked eye but I want the peace of mind. Hopefully within the next week we will hear something.
skinr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #16

Yeah...I tried to press her for an expected date, but she didn't know. We'll cross our fingers for next week. I feel summer burning!
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Question 2007 Cayman 34SBD

I recently bought a 2007 Monaco Cayman 34SBD. How can I determine if my unit is one of the affected chassis? I had a mechanic inspect the arms and he was unable to detect any cracks or faults. Is there a way to inspect the arms and determine if they are faulty? Has any one had a broken arm analyzed to determine the method of failure? Are the arms a solid steel component or a formed unit?
KDNolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:50 PM   #18
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
The cracks are hard to see in the early stages. Check around the plate that U-BOLTS hold the arms to the axle. Look for red rusty dust. I took pictures and couldn’t see the cracks. When the arms were off you could see the metal was cracking. I will try and fine pictures that were posted back in 2007 or 2008 other have post pictures also.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:32 AM   #19

The cracks would be at the rear of the axle, at teh top and right against the plate that holds the arm to the axle. It would often be impossible to see with teh arms in place.

The mode of failure is fatigue. The cause, as always, is attributable to an attempt to save production costs. From what I have read from many posts over the years, the original arms were outsourced to a vendor who designed the arms using alloy steel. After a couple years of production, Roadmaster decided they could fabricate the arms themselves, but did 2 no-no's in doing so. First, they used low carbon mild steel, which is not nearly as strong as the original alloy steel, and then, where the arm requires a bend, they made the bend with a weld. The arms started failing immediately, and they were recalled. This was in the 2002/3 time frame. In the recall they re-designed the arms so there was no weld at the bend...but they still used 3" mild steel square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. This 3rd design arm was installed in the '02/03 coaches under recall, and were used in all the other medium framed coaches going forward up until the bankruptcy in 2009. These arms would last up to 12,000 miles before failing. Ours actually lasted about 64k miles, so they were better...but still a weak design for such an important part.

I understand the need for bankruptcies in business. I think it is criminal, though, that the DOT and Monaco were not at least held accountable to notify owners that there is a life-threatening flaw in thousands of coaches. We are the original owners, and they made no attempt in the 13 years we owned the motorhome. Our coach has been on the Blue-Ridge Pkway, through the Rockies 6 times over 12,000 foot mountain passes...carrying young kids. I shudder thinking about what would have happened to us if this had broken on a 6% mountain down grade rather than on a level Louisiana freeway!! It is mere luck that nobody has died due to this. But then, if any coaches have gone over a mountain drop there would be little to prove it was the trailing arm and nobody to sue if you did. We may just not have heard about the unfortunates?!?
Old 06-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #20

Spoke with Ann at Roadmaster and she didn't instill any confidence that the trailing arms would be shipped in the next 2 or 3 weeks. She mentioned the U-Bolts were the hold up this time. I have a long trip planed the end of August so hope they make it before then.
Couple of short trips scheduled next couple of weekends. I've inspected the arms and took all the paint off of the stress places and have not seen any issues to the naked eye so feel confident I'll be good the next couple of little trips. I'll do a couple quick overviews while on the road to make sure nothing shows up.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #21

Source Engineering replaced mine last August. Mine were so bad on my 08 Cayman XL that they couldn’t understand whY they didn’t fail.
urnborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:10 PM   #22

Still no word...5th week. Covid is a funny time. I am starting to sense that anything imported is backordered. Every project I have going has that one item that can't be found!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
2007 Monaco Cayman XL 34SBD Trailing Arms

I just purchased a 2007 Cayman XL 34SBD and the seller was willing to split the cost of replacing the arms as he didn't feel right selling a unit that had a potential of a serious incident. He bought the unit second hand in 2008 and was unaware of the recall on the swing arms until he listed it for sale and other potential purchasers asked if the recall had been completed. He sent it to the Heavy Duty Shop for the certification and asked them to look at the swing arms to se if there was any issues. The shop couldn't find any signs of cracks or deformation but wouldn't sign off on them either. He asked me if I would be willing to split the cost of the repair. Of course I would as I had intended to get this resolved anyway. The Shop in Vancouver BC ordered the arms from Source Eng. and they will be installed in the next couple of weeks. After reading the previous posts I am wondering if I need to have the Ride Enhancement Package installed. From what I understand the issue is that the OEM Air bags and shocks were the same for all the RR4R chassis. Since my unit is the smallest and lightest of all the units will I expect to have the same harsh ride as the bigger units?
As a Note: The unit will be parked for the next 3 years at a local RV park while I'm on project and won't be driven unless it needs to go to shop for service. Do I need to change out the air bags and shocks and should I wait until I'm ready to take it on the road?
Thanks for all the great info this group offers.

2007 Monaco Cayman XL 34SBD
2018 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel
KDNolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #24

Well, I got word the arms shipped on Friday for a projected delivery on 13 July. Now I am trying to get word from Source about the ride enhancement package.

That's good you are getting the cost split, as it is a sizable price tag. The prior owner never heard about the "recall", because the 2007 never had one. By the time everyone realized there was a problem with the "new" arms Monaco was in bankruptcy and simply washed their hands of the whole affair.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #25

I have a 2008 Monaco La Palma XL. Was that model included with the recall??
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #26

The only "recall" was for 2002-2003 model coaches.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #27

Received word that my arms should be delivered this afternoon. Guess I will work on swapping them out Friday instead of heading to the beach.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #28

Yep, finally got my arms today. Took almost 2 months...put a real damper on the summer travel plans this year. At least I'll feel safer for the next trip...back to "ignorant bliss" about any other looming unknown problems.

I've got to decide whether to install the arms at the storage facility or to limp the coach to the house, where I have all the power tools...and the beer!

Jim got back about the ride kit and hopes about a month to get the shocks for that job.

Tags
monaco, rear