RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #1

2008 Monaco Knight water leak in rear slide

Hi all!

My right rear (driver side) seems to let water come in on the carpeted floor area of the slide. The area is the bottom of the slide on the right side of the bed. The water comes in in this area and gets the carpet on the slide not the floor of the motorhome wet. Will do this after a lot of rain.

Any thoughts as to why? I have checked the rubber slide seals and seem ok. I am wondering if water comes down the side of the slide on the outside and is coming in under the slide? Anyone have this issue?

Thanks.

Steve

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did you check the rubber-seal at the top of the slide also?

One of my slides is positioned so low that the rubber-seal doesn't meet the roof of the slide, and this could potentially be a source of a leak.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check all the seams on the slide out. Sometimes they forget to seal them. Water gets into the bottom seam on the slide and travels inside.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Are you missing the drip rail (rubber) at the bottom of your slide ?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

I have the drip rail. Water must be coming in from the bottom of the slide. No water from the top in the rig.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is missing on the drivers side front slide and water was seeping into the bottom and soaking the carpet. I moved the slide in and then back out again and it stopped the seep ?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm having the same problem. It appears that the water is getting to the very bottom of the slide, and gets by the bottom of the drip rail. The water will follow the trim at the bottom of the slide and come inside. If you caulk the trim at the bottom of the slide, the water should run off before coming inside. You can also put a little extra caulk between the bottom end of the drip rail toward the inside of the slide. This will also cause water to drip off the bottom of the slide in lieu of running the trim inside the coach. Good luck.
Mutt
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to confirm where the water is coming from here is what you can do. Bring the slide in a little so you can see behind the fascia. Have some one run water on the bottom seam of the slide, you should be able to see it coming in. Also if you run your fingernail along the seam you may feel where the caulking is missing.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My '06 Dip did the same thing. Finally found it to be the seam between the outside wall of the slide and the "face frame" around the outside wall. My slide has a 3" "frame" around the face of the slide (on the outside wall as you're facing the slide. It's almost as if the slide has a picture frame around it). The seam between this frame and the outside wall of the slide was where the leak was occurring. A bead of clear silicone around this seam cured my leak.
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a problem on the rear passenger slide with water getting in when it rains hard and long. Next time it rains go out and look at the horizontal floor of the slide at the area the water comes in. On mine I could see water flowing (capillary action) along the underside of the slide toward the inside. The large rubber slide seal doesn't fit snuggly enough up against the slide floor so water seaps in between the floor and seal.
I tried everything to stop it with some luck but not a 100% cure. I think the floor of the slide is tipped slight toward the inside. My true cure is once leveled I raise the opposite side of the coach slightly with the levelers. The water flow then is directed away from the coach wall instead. It doesn't leak at all and I don't notice the difference in the coach being unlevel.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This may be tough to describe, but I'll try...
There probably is a 'drip-cup' (really just a molded intention) at the bottom corners of the slide seal on the coach itself that is supposed to catch the runoff coming down the slide-wall and big seal. Be sure the vertical seal on the coach wall 'flips' when opening the slide and helps channel water onto and out from the drip-cup.
Mine wasn't flipping and allowing just enough water to make it past the drip-cup and running inside the coach at the points you described.

HTH
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #12

To all with this issue. Which rear slide lets the water in? Mine is the driver side. And it comes in on the side facing the front of the coach, right side.

Steve
Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Some of my side rubbers were not "flipping" so while at the Coburg facility in Ore. the shop put some heavy duty SAND PAPER TAPE about 2" wide on the slide to make sure the rubbers flipped. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, if you will look at Huckshaven's photo, you will see the piece of trim that I spoke of above. Even though the photo shows the drip rail, the trim at the bottom of the slide will let water follow the top of the trim past the side flap, also shown, and can come inside your coach. That is what is happening on one of my slides, especially if one side of the coach is higher than the other. You will need to caulk that trim piece so the water will run off before it gets past the seal flap. I am going to caulk my bottom trim pieces on each of my slides next week, and install a piece of the drip rail to see if that will remedy my leak problem. Hope this helps.
David

Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote