Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

2008 Signature engine died on interstate

Driving along I 4 in Florida and all of a sudden my accelerator quit and engine shut down. Had it towed to Cummins where they say an 5 amp fuse had blown shutting down the engine. Replaced with a 10 amp fuse and engine seems to be running ok, I am concerned that a 5 amp fuse will blow but a 10 will not. Any ideas what might be causing this, they can't even tell me what fuse it is. I am not picking it up until I have answers. Thanks for any help
wbnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If the circuit was only supposed to need a 5 amp fuse to protect that circuit, putting a 10 amp fuse in is foolhardy and a potential fire hazard. I think you're right in asking what circuit needed the new fuse and why they think increasing the fuse size is a proper repair. If they won't tell you, I'd pick up the RV from that shop (use a credit card and then stop payment) contact Cummins and ask them if it's their suggested solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

Was it raining when it happened?
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #4

Just after we got our coach, we were running down I-75 at 70mph and it quit on a Sunday morning. We managed to get to the side of the road okay, but it would not start. Made a ton of calls with no help at all. I went into the Rear Run Panel and started looking around. I found an ign fuse burned out. It was labeled for a 25 amp fuse and there was a 5 amp fuse in that spot burned out. I installed the proper 25 amp fuse, the engine started right up, and that, knock on wood, was 6 years and 65,000 miles ago with no further problems. Maybe yours is similar?
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

wbnjr, somebody knows what fuse they changed. The shop needs to ask the technician. How are you going to fix it again if it blows again and you are stuck on the side of the road. I am sure it what they call an ignition fuse in the Rear Run Box but there are several that can cause the trouble. Was there a 5 amp fuse in a 10 amp spot or what? If you find out what fuse it was I can look it up on the wiring diagram and tell you what it goes to.

So did you find the steering a little heavy when the motor died. I was in the middle lane on I12 in Baton Rouge when mine stopped running. I cut off a lot of cars in the right lane while fighting the steering wheel. I happened to find a open spot on the guard rails to pull it in.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with others, replacing a 5 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse is not a repair nor a solution. You need to find out exactly what that circuit feeds and diagnose the actual issue.

The first trip we took our 03 Dynasty on after purchasing it 8 years ago our coach died about a mile from our house as we were departing. Upon diagnosing the problem on the side of the road I found the circuit feeding the television interlock relay in the front run panel to be the culprut. Temporarily I disconnected the TV interlock so we could continue on our way without interruption. Upon arriving home I diagnosed a short in the wiring. My first thought was possibly at the televsion as a higher probability than anywhere else. Sure enough, upon removing the TV out of the overhead cabinet I found a pinched wire that had finally wore through and shorted out.

Keeping a wiring schematic with your coach is invaluable as far as I am concerned.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
YC1

Any fuse can just commit suicide. I have changed thousands of them in 40 yrs that no short or overload caused. I too would insist on knowing which fuse failed. And then post it here as suggested because many of us have schematics and layouts.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #8

I have been in the heavy equipment repair, field for 35 years.

I have never heard of or experienced, fuse suicide.

Fuse`s are to protect wiring from overload conditions. They only blow, when the current exceeds it's capacity.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have been in the heavy equipment repair, field for 35 years.

I have never heard of or experienced, fuse suicide.

Fuse`s are to protect wiring from overload conditions. They only blow, when the current exceeds it's capacity.
Fuses are an electronic component and can fail just like a transistor. They are electromechanical devices. Relays contacts fail, fuses fail. The term suicide probably was not the best choice of words but the do fail by themselves. I own an electronics repair company and we have changed thousands of fuses in 40 yrs. Most were doing their jobs, some just gave up the ghost.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I would find out which one it was. Then I would get it home, put a Multimeter setup for Current (amps) in series or use it across the fuse connections to see what amperage is being used. Just putting a larger fuse in is not the way to fix it.
40+ years as an electrical/electronics controls engineer.

Tags
engine