RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2009 Cayman Intermittent Starting Issue

In the past couple of weeks, I've had intermittent issues with the coach starting. It's driving me a bit crazy, as it only happens occasionally.

When I turn the ignition key on, the dash lights, camera and transmission panel all light up. When I attempt to start, it sounds just like a weak battery. The starter either doesn't turn at all or turns slowly (laboring). If I hit the "battery boost", the engine will fire right up. What's crazy is that I can try again the next day and start it several times without a problem... then the next day, it will not start! I went out this morning and started it four times... it worked great.

I've checked the batteries... they are only three months old and test fine.

I've checked all the battery connections between the chassis batteries and the starter... they all look clean and feel solid. Plus, the battery boost has never failed (so far). I've also checked the ground connections.

I'm beginning to suspect the battery disconnect switch (it's about the only component in the circuit). Is it possible that it is allowing enough amperage to light up the dash, but not start the coach? How do you test the switch? Is it serviceable or should I just get a new one?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Ron

RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #2

Had the same issue on my 97 32' Monaco Dynasty. Engine battery terminals looked fine no corrosion or white stuff. Just for grins I undid the cables and cleaned the terminals and cable connections, problem solved. It's started fine ever since. I'd try cleaning them. Only takes a few minutes to do it.

Gary
Leslie, MI

44Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Tonner View Post
Had the same issue on my 97 32' Monaco Dynasty. Engine battery terminals looked fine no corrosion or white stuff. Just for grins I undid the cables and cleaned the terminals and cable connections, problem solved. It's started fine ever since. I'd try cleaning them. Only takes a few minutes to do it.

Gary
Leslie, MI
I will give it a try. Cleaned them when I put the new batteries in three months ago... but you never know!

Thanks,

Ron
Old 11-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Okay... I've checked the terminals. Any other help out there?

Ron