Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #1

2009 Simba 34', batterie switch solénoïde

After physically disconnecting and reconnecting all Chassis and House batteries for troubleshooting something else purposes, the House Battery Switch located on the left entrance wall was pushed more than once in attempt to energize the circuit. Result: no clicking sound, no power to any accessories and interior lights. Battery Boost Switch later was also pushed: same results, no clicking sound.

The story goes like this. While troubleshooting an intermittent malfunction with the Chassis Battery Charging Contactor, located in the driver side lower front lower compartment, I removed it, gently knocked it and reinstalled it. Still, when engine is running, the House Batteries were not charging, as it should. So, I thought it is definitely malfunctioning, and I will replace it with a new one.

But, for now..., my problem is emerging additionally from somewhere else.

Although, to my knowledge, the Chassis Battery Charging Contactor circuit and the House Battery Switch circuit should not have any relationship. But one never knows…!?

Anyhow… Back before my removing and reinstalling the Chassis Battery Charge Contactor, while pushing the Battery Switch I could hear that familiar clicking sound coming from around the center of the dash or possibly from around the underhood front engine compartment.

Question: Can anybody tell me where exactly the Battery Switch Relay is located?

When found, I will try to jump the two main connectors momentarily, in order to facilitate troubleshooting its problem.
Ulysse49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #2

HI Ulysse49; It sounds like your house battery disconnect solenoid is not kicking in from your description. As these solenoids age the contacts can become pitted and not make contact. Do you have the factory owners manual? Most Monaco products have info in the manual about that solenoid and sometimes it location. What has worked for me was to flip the switch rapidly and sometimes that has caused the solenoid to energize. One time I could not get that procedure to work. So I tried just turning on a small load like an overhead light and that did the trick. You are probably ready for a new solenoid, once where you find it's located. Hope this info helps this late in the evening. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a wiring diagram, if not you might try getting one from REV

https://www.monacocoach.com/technical-assistance
If you make a request ask for house, chassis wiring diagrams along with the data or build sheet. Not sure if they still provide but worth a try.

As to location of the house disconnect relay I would start at the battery disconnect and follow the wires. In my case it is in the same compartment since they limited amount of larger AWG wire runs to the various components. Not sure what type they would of used but in my case it looks like this https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/w...relay-120-901/
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #4

Ulysse49-

I have a set of wiring diagrams for a 2009 Safari Simba. I will send you a copy, if you send me your e-mail address in a private message. Do not post your e-mail address here (in public) as the spammers will get it.

It sounds to me as if you have a couple problems going on. Your coach may be very similar to mine, and if so I am familiar with the parts you are troubleshooting.

To begin, two questions:

1) Is your Simba a gas or a diesel?
2) Does the Front Distribution Panel look like this one? If not, please provide a picture of your coach's Front Distribution Panel.

In the picture, the BATTERY BOOST relay is circled (en rouge) and the HOUSE BATTERY DISCONNECT relay (controlled by the switch by the entrance door) is the yellow-labeled black "can" to its left. The circuit that controls the house battery charging from the chassis alternator is on the small circuit board above them- the one with the red, black and blue wires.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #5

OK, good news! Problem with the Battery Switch in stairwell solved this morning. Will publish more details and trainee aid photos, sometime towards the end of the day today.

In short: It's a Code 18.
(By Code 18, I refer to the distance between the Electrical Board on my motorhome and Jo Blow.
Electrical board, which would have been working well after all if left untouched by Jo Blow who played Expert yesterday, trying to fix something that was already working well. If you know who I am talking about...!
Old 04-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #6

In reference to my goofy fix yesterday, briefly said, «*a picture is worth a thousand words*» Well, here are three of them.

Picture no. 1
This is how wires/cables are to be correctly connected.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...7&d=1619401920

Picture no. 2
This shows the big red cable that I have obviously forgotten to reconnect. And so, it was rather hanging down loosely.
Note that I missed seeing the connecting lug at the end of the cable not connected due to my standing point of view. So, I simply had the impression, I guess…, that it was connected somehow to something else. Connected to what? Go figure…!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...8&d=1619402153

Picture no. 3
It’s only once I revisited the Electrical Compartment this morning that the light in my foggy yesterday’s mind, finally lite.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...9&d=1619402346

I therefore promptly reconnected it properly. And that sure ended briskly my Battery Switch nightmare.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...7&d=1619401920

The very first thing I did then, is to get up, look around and try to see if anybody had witnessed the scene where I was the hero…!
Note: You only see my finger. I made damned sure that you wont ever see my face and by so, be able to recognise me if you ever in the futur come running into me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_095841034.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	326327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_095553812.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	326328  

Name:	IMG_20210425_095521359.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	326329  
Old 04-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #7

Reply to 8.3Oilburner

[QUOTE=8.3Oilbuner;5725870]HI Ulysse49;
1) It sounds like your house battery disconnect solenoid is not kicking in from your description.
My reply) As I explained a little bit earlier in this post, I finally fixed the problem by simply reconnecting the feeding red electrical cable to the House Batteries Solenoid, which I had mistakenly overlooked its existence.

2) As these solenoids age the contacts can become pitted and not make contact.
My reply) Thanks for this wise piece of information. It kind of second my diagnostic this time on the Chassis Battery Charging Solenoid. It too is fading, and probably due probably to internal pitting.

2) Do you have the factory owners manual? Most Monaco products have info in the manual about that solenoid and sometimes it location. What has worked for me was to flip the switch rapidly and sometimes that has caused the solenoid to energize. One time I could not get that procedure to work. So I tried just turning on a small load like an overhead light and that did the trick.
My reply) Yes, I do have the owners manual, but it only shows the location and of the Battery Switch and its function in relation to the DC Fuse Panel.

2) You are probably ready for a new solenoid, once where you find it's located.
My reply) Yes, indeed, I am ready for a solenoid change..., but obviously not this one, as it proved to be working well after all. Now my first culprit causing the House Batteries not to charge while the engine is running, is the Chassis Battery Charge solenoid, leading substantial electrical power to the House batteries as required. First thing tomorrow, I'll be hunting for one in my neighbourhood RV Parts or Heavy Motorised Equipment/Vehicle Parts provider.

3) Hope this info helps this late in the evening. Good luck!

My reply) Well, 8.3Oilburner, I did slept better last night after your answer, knowing that I was not left alone, stranded in a Battery Disconnect Switch nightmare...
Thank you for your assistance,8.3Oilburner
Old 04-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #8

Thanks, jacwjames, for your advices.

As you can read in my previous reply post, I did fixe my Battery Switch not being powered by simply doing what's right instead of what's wrong. In that, I reconnected the big red power cable to the Battery Switch Solenoid, which is located in the driver side front basement compartment. And... Tadam!

Thank you kindly again, jacwjames.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Ulysse49-

1) I have a set of wiring diagrams for a 2009 Safari Simba. I will send you a copy, if you send me your e-mail address in a private message. Do not post your e-mail address here (in public) as the spammers will get it.
My reply) Yes, l1v3fr33ord1, by all means. I will PM you my e-mail address.

2) It sounds to me as if you have a couple problems going on. Your coach may be very similar to mine, and if so I am familiar with the parts you are troubleshooting.

To begin, two questions:

1) Is your Simba a gas or a diesel?
My reply) It is a gasser
2) Does the Front Distribution Panel look like this one? If not, please provide a picture of your coach's Front Distribution Panel.
My reply) It is unbelievably similar, except for few cosmetic differences. Mine is set up for a Workhorse Chassis. I will try posting a picture of it in its overall appearance (an upright picture, that is, contrary to the previous ones I posted recently...)

3) In the picture, the BATTERY BOOST relay is circled (en rouge) and the HOUSE BATTERY DISCONNECT relay (controlled by the switch by the entrance door) is the yellow-labeled black "can" to its left. The circuit that controls the house battery charging from the chassis alternator is on the small circuit board above them- the one with the red, black and blue wires.
My reply) Ah Ha...! It all make sense, now. No more mystery nor misery understanding how it works. Big thanks for your invaluable contributive explanations, l1v3fr33ord1.

[QUOTE=l1v3fr33ord1;5725994]
Old 04-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #10

Good morning Ulysse49; Glad everything has worked out and thanks for letting all of us know what you found and what was done to correct the problems. This forum keeps my mind in working order to read and hopefully help in these situations. Have a great week!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #11

Ulysse49-

I'm happy you found the problem and it was an easy fix.

The BATTERY BOOST solenoid is a Trombetta 734-1221-020. An Internet search shows several sources for that part number.

Before you replace the solenoid (and that's not easy because of the way it's attached to the panel) you should determine if the BIRD daughtercard is working correctly. I suspect it is not. If it is not working correctly, the BATTERY BOOST solenoid never activates.

Here's how you test that the solenoid is working correctly:

1) With all charging sources (converter, alternator and solar) off, take a small wire and jump the house battery 12V to the stud on the solenoid. The solenoid should close. Remove the wire. The solenoid should open.
2) Measure the voltage across the big lugs of the solenoid with it open. There probably is some voltage difference. Close the solenoid as above. The voltage difference should go to zero if the solenoid is working correctly. Remove the wire to open the solenoid.

Here's how you test the BIRD daughtercard to see if it's working correctly.

1) Measure the voltage on the chassis side of the solenoid. If it's above 12.3 volts, run the headlights for a while to lower the voltage.
2) Measure the voltage on the house side of the solenoid. It should be 12.6V or less.
3) Plug into shore, and make sure the converter is on. The voltage on the hose side should go up to at least 13.3 volts (indicates the converter is charging the house batteries).
4) Measure the voltage on the chassis side of the solenoid. For about two minutes it should be the same as it was. At around the two-minute mark, the BIRD daughtercard closes the solenoid (via that red wire) and the voltage on both sides of the solenoid should be the same. If the solenoid never closes when the charge side is 13.3 volts or more and the other side is 12.3 volts or less, then the daughtercard has failed.

Don't worry, though- you can buy a replacement daughtercard. I have a part number and source for that.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #12

Here are 2 pictures of the Control Panel installed on our 2009 Simba built on Workhorse Chassis.

Name:	Control board front view.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	326470

Name:	Control board oblique view.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	326471
Old 04-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #13

Thanks, l1v3fr33ord1, for your well thoughtout explainations and wise advices.

What I call Chassis Charge solenoid, is quite possibly called BATTERY BOOST solenoid. Any which way it is called, I tested the thing, and here is what I did and what result I got.

!) I unconnected the signal wire of the Battery Boost solenoid, applied 12v DC to the small single stud and the solenoid cliqued.
2) Under this solenoid Closed condition, the House Batteries side (big stud) indicated 12.6v and the Chassis batterie side indicated 12.39. Both figures were the same as before I started the test on respective solenoid side (big lugs).
3) I then concluded that the Battery Boost solenoid (Chassis Charge solenoid) was not relaying the current across its main lugs.

Here is a portrait... of the culprit standing alone with an accusation of failing to perform assiduously while on duty, so to speak...

Name:	Chassis Charge Solenoid.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	326474

As for the Doughterboard serviceability, I am looking forward to run tomorrow the test you suggest.

On the other end, while I was first troubleshooting the Battery Boost solenoid, shortly after starting the engine, after approximately 2 minutes of engine running, a clear clic sounded from the area of the Battery Boost solenoid.

This kind of convinced me that, at least..., the Closed Signal from the Control board had reached the Battery Boost solenoid.

By the way, I ordered today a Trombetta 734-1221-020 solenoid. So, all you honorable IRV2 Members reading this post..., STAY TUNED!
Old 04-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #14

Just a quick update… This morning I disconnected momentarily shore power, waited about 10 minutes and then asked my wife to reconnect it while I stood sitting right in front of the Control Panel.

Result: No clicking sound at all, even after waiting over 5 minutes. Voltage read 0 at the small signal stud on the Battery Boost solenoid.

Unlike the case where I had started the engine 2 or 3 days ago, and at that time it did clicked after about 2 minutes, shore power revealed now as nothing in effect to the solenoid in that condition.

And yes, the daughter-board could pretty well be malfunctioning. But at this time, I kind of want to focus on replacing the Battery Boost solenoid… as soon as I get it from submitting yesterday my order.

Tags
switch