Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

2010 Monaco Riptide Problems (ATS & Disconnect Switch)

I purchased this 2010 Monaco Riptide May 21st 2010 and have only been able to take it out twice all summer.
They have replaced the ATS Box (transfer switch) twice, a solenoid switch behind the battery center and about 4 other things too lengthy to get in to right now. Most are electrical. ugh!

My most concern is this. I disconnected the chaise battery by using my indoor disconnect switch, but it didn't work.....had just picked it up to have the solenoid switch replaced so it would.

Then I went to the motor itself and manually disconnected the battery by taking off the positive and negative cables off the post. Walked back in coach and the rig started right up!? I then turned off my coach batteries (using the disconnect switch, it worked) and tried the key in the ignition and it started right up again!

The only possible conclusion I can come up with is (a) the service tech I had working on it the day before hard wired it to the coach batteries or (b) it came hard wired to the coach batteries from the Factory! I can't prove it either way at this point, though I'm taking it back to the dealer this week. Unfortunately, they are 5-6 hours from my home town.

Does anyone out there know anything about this? I have heard that hard wiring the chaise to the coach batteries can cause ALL kinds of other problems electrically.

All the techs I talk to tell me it doesn't matter is I had spent a million $'s on a Class A, they all have bugs to get out after purchase. Is this true?

Coach has already been in the shop for 30 days over the last 3 months, since purchase. Afraid my excitement over buying my first Class A has diminished.

Thanks,
Riptide
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

I'm totally guessing here but it almost sounds like

There is a short which is allowing backfeed...
The trombetta relay is somehow on full time.(batt-boost solenoid)

You need a strong electrical man at the dealer to really trace this down.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Riptide:

In reading your symptoms, it sounds like someone has paralleled the coach batteries with the chassis battery. That is why when you disconnect the chassis battery, the coach will still start and the battery disconnect then isolates the coach batteries.

Will the coach start without the chassis battery connected and the coach batteries connected but isolated with the cutout switch located inside the coach? This should isolate which side of the Trombetta relay has the problem. This problem should be easy to isolate by handwalking the large cables which go to the motor starter and insure they are not tied in with the coach cables going to the DC distribution panel.

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

Thank you for you response.

Monaco has contacted a "transport company" to pick up my Motorhome in the morning and drive it to the dealer to get worked on.

I will forward these suggestions to my tech over there, just for a little more insight.

I appreciate your help.

Riptide
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Glad to hear Monaco LLC stepped up and is having the coach transported instead of you having to spend more time and money getting it back to the dealer so they can repair it properly.

By following Lash's suggestions they should be able to isolate the problem. They should also be able to get wiring diagrams and other technical help from Monaco LLC to fix it, and they should fully test all the disconnect, charging and boost functions before you get it back.

Unfortunately, you are the final QA person so you will also have to fully test it to make sure it is fixed right before you accept it.

Good Luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
Riptide....

Electrically, some of the responses given are all feasible and the RV Tech should be able to figure it out quickly with some knowledge, schematics and a meter.

On the Monaco side of things, consider yourself lucky if you have what appears to be minor repairs under your warranty. We have a 2010 Monarch which is very similar to the Riptide and we have had major problems from day one. Short list on the major side would be new radiator replaced, rebuilt transmission, complete dash replaced, ceiling came down due to glue delamination which ended up to be mechanically fastened (which is better), replaced (2) leveling jacks, TV replaced, water pump replaced and several what I would consider to be minor repairs done.

On the bright side, Monaco out of Coburg, OR and Paul Evert's RV in Fresno, Ca. replaced or repaired every single detail in a timely manner. They made restitution for the inconvenience and was more than fair during the entire process. I didn't have those feelings in the beginning as I wanted to give back the coach and asked for my money back. They said they would back up whatever was wrong through the warranty process and they proved it. When both a dealer and manufacturer do what is expected, I feel others should know. If they didn't, believe me I would post that as well.

Bottom line, I believe you'll be taken care of with Monaco. Good luck with your coach and have a good time with it!

Fred
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Riptide,

The old Monaco, and I assume the new Monaco, would work with most RV repair shops to fix warranty issues. In the past, there was no need to take a new coach back to the dealer you purchased it from. If you have problems after they haul your coach off this time, then talk to local RVer's and see if there is a local RV shop that they like. Then go talk to them about your issues. They can call Monaco and there is a very good chance that Monaco will authorize them to fix your issues. Local shops that make a living selling service generally do a much better job than dealers that make their money selling coaches. Also, you end up having the work done locally, so if there is a follow on problem, it is just a short drive down to have it looked at. In my 25 years of RVing, I have found that avoiding having work done at dealers worked out well.

Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

I can't help but read the above and then people post that the new Navistar controlled Monaco has a new quality procedure? They have a lot of work to do and as far as I am concerned.....SHOW ME...until I see a better network of service centers/dealers that they claim will exist...as I've said before...meet the new boss...same as the old boss...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote