Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw624 View Post
I too have a 2012 Knight. Please keep us informed as to how they fix your issues. Our smoke detector also sounds off even when running the toaster! They should have put it 10' further forward. We have to run the exhaust fan on conv. oven every time we cook or toast. We received service bulletin for the trans/eng and took it to be re-scanned. That made a big difference. No more jerking and a noticeable increase in mileage. I've also had to replace several (10+) halogen 10 watt G4 base light bulbs at over $5 a pop. Has anyone tried the LEDs if so how do you like them? Also had a heater hose that wasn't properly routed spring a leak because it was rubbing on the engine and had to cut it and splice and tie it up. The door didn't latch properly or hold open in even a light breeze. Hydraulic pump leak. Air leveler was shorted. Several shades that have to be rewound regularly. Toilet that the pedal has to be pulled up to stop the water. Most items have been resolved. The latest thing is the ice maker quit working. Will be trying to get this fixed 1/7/13 or at least a start!
I replace all my G4 bulbs with LED's. One thing you have to note is that there are two sizes of light fixtures. The large ones on the ceiling and smaller ones in the bath and slides. The first LED's I got were too big for the small fixtures but I did find some that were smaller that fit good. The light output seems to be less but usable.

My 36 has an electric operated toilet so there is no petal.

I have had no problems with the shades, I do not use the ice maker, my door holder won't hold the door open either. My smoke detector is over the dining table so it hasn't been a problem. I have had numerous other issues with a few noted in this forum. Other that replacing the rear A/C unit I have had to do all the repairs myself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I too have a 2012 Knight. Please keep us informed as to how they fix your issues. Our smoke detector also sounds off even when running the toaster! They should have put it 10' further forward. We have to run the exhaust fan on conv. oven every time we cook or toast. We received service bulletin for the trans/eng and took it to be re-scanned. That made a big difference. No more jerking and a noticeable increase in mileage. I've also had to replace several (10+) halogen 10 watt G4 base light bulbs at over $5 a pop. Has anyone tried the LEDs if so how do you like them? Also had a heater hose that wasn't properly routed spring a leak because it was rubbing on the engine and had to cut it and splice and tie it up. The door didn't latch properly or hold open in even a light breeze. Hydraulic pump leak. Air leveler was shorted. Several shades that have to be rewound regularly. Toilet that the pedal has to be pulled up to stop the water. Most items have been resolved. The latest thing is the ice maker quit working. Will be trying to get this fixed 1/7/13 or at least a start!
The sooner you get rid of those halogen bulbs the better. They are hot, inefficient, and prone to failure. LED's are cool, and efficient. A replacement LED will cost you about three times the cost of a halogen bulb but will likely last the lifetime of your RV.

When I bought my 2010 Winnie, I was replacing halogen bulbs on every trip and paying more like $7 a pop. The combination of the heat and vibration just makes them a bad choice for a motorhome application.

You can find excellent quality LED's online at sites like - LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS . Wherever you buy there are four important things to consider, fixture type, brightness, physical size and color of light created. While ordering online will get you the best price, doing your initial trials at a Rally may be a better approach as you can work with a vendor to find the right LED. This is especially true of the visual appeal of the light as that is quite subjective.

I struggled to find LED's that were the same temperature (light color) as my halogens. My wife didn't like the brighter, whiter colored light that the first LED's I tried produced. Also, unless you want a hodgepodge appearance to your lighting, you probably want to replace them in groups, i.e. all the lounge area lights at once. I started out just replacing them on an attrition basis but, again, the wife didn't like that approach. Finally, I just bit the bullet and swapped the vast majority out together.

You can get the size right by just measuring your fixture and choosing the right size replacement. As another poster mentioned, the replacement LED's usually come in a disc-shaped package and you need to make sure it is of small enough diameter to fit inside the fixture.

Replacing the halogen bulbs is one of the best upgrades I've made to my coach. We do a lot of dry camping and I no longer worry about the power draw when leaving on a few lights. I've been running mostly LED's for over two years now (about 30 throughout the coach) and haven't had to replace one yet. I kept halogen in a few seldom used locations (reading lights and the like) and use my stash of removed halogen bulbs to replace them when they, inevitably burn out.

Good luck with your new coach. We've been very happy with our Winne but it took about a year to get all the little nuisance issues corrected! A trip back to the factory, towards the end of our warranty period was very helpful.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I've owned 3 new coaches including this one, and it has always taken me at least one year to make the issues go away. It also takes me time to make the "ride" the way I want it (inside and exterior improvements). Too many to list at this time. deSanford Ps waiting for new "DIESEL" sounding horns.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
I too have a 2012 Knight.We received service bulletin for the trans/eng and took it to be re-scanned. That made a big difference.
I have the same issue with my Knight - taking it for service this Friday. Can anyone tell me where to find this service bulletin? I've been searching and cannot find this on the internet or this forum.

I listen to the conference call today and that this issue (surging) was mentioned. It was said that an engine calibration fix is available now and one for the transmission will be available in June.

Thanks,
Kevin
SpaceK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
The "Authorized Field Change G-12913" was issued by Navistar in June 2012. I got one from Monaco too.

It stops the surging that was talked about but I saw no increase in performance or mileage. Make sure you go to an experienced service facility, one that has successfully done the update before. I ended up spending a day and $200 in fuel the first time and they didn't do it right. The second time (at a different location) the Tech knew what to do but the first try must have screwed something up as it took another full day to get it updated correctly.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #20

you can find LED replacements G 4 base from several vendors on E Bay about $1.50 each free shipping on quantity of 10 Direct from China changed mine a little whiter light than halogen
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #21

My service bulletin came in the mail. I took it to a Navistar truck shop for the service. They had to make a call because they don't usually work on MHs. Nav told them to do it. I'm not sure why it took some so long to have programmed. They hooked up the computer and it took 45 min. to upload. It was a little over a hour there. They told me the big trucks have the same problem.
dw624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #22

I kept the bulletin. It's called AUTHORIZED FIELD CHANGE 12913. It covers HR Ambassador and Monaco Knights built between 5/13/2011 to 3/19/12. So if you refer to that change order, the dealer shouldn't have problem. The scan shouldn't cost you anything.
dw624 is offline   Reply With Quote