RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cool 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador GPS

While traveling some to some new destinations this summer I found out the hardway that the GPS system installed in my my 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 DFT was not designed for an RV. We ended up on some small residential streets with low hanging trees and there was no way to turn around. Fortunately there weren't any curbs or sidewalks so we were able to maneuver around some of the low hanging branches by driving on the parkway. When we finally reached our destination I began doing some research on my GPS only to find it was not an RV or truck GPS. I don't understand why Holiday Rambler would go through the trouble of doing a permanent installation of a Nuvi GPS that's hard wired into the coach and looks custom made for the coach, without it being an RV GPS. For a few dollars more they could have installed the real deal. After this experience I decided to purchase a Rand McNally. We'll see how it performs on our next excursion.

eddie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie0 View Post
While traveling some to some new destinations this summer I found out the hardway that the GPS system installed in my my 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 DFT was not designed for an RV. We ended up on some small residential streets with low hanging trees and there was no way to turn around. Fortunately there weren't any curbs or sidewalks so we were able to maneuver around some of the low hanging branches by driving on the parkway. When we finally reached our destination I began doing some research on my GPS only to find it was not an RV or truck GPS. I don't understand why Holiday Rambler would go through the trouble of doing a permanent installation of a Nuvi GPS that's hard wired into the coach and looks custom made for the coach, without it being an RV GPS. For a few dollars more they could have installed the real deal. After this experience I decided to purchase a Rand McNally. We'll see how it performs on our next excursion.
We had to do the same thing, the Garmin Nuvi 55 they supplied is at the bottom end of Garmin GPS models. I looked at trying to replace with a Garmin Dezl 560 which was basicly meant for Truckers. But ended up replacing our old 7" Magellan (that died after 5 years) with the new 7" Rand McNalley, I know that I never could trust the Garmin in our Coach, with that said have been mislead by every GPS I ever had but the Nuvi designed for cars was scary.

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

We have had so many RV's over the years, that I have always had a portable GPS. In the early years, I ran a laptop with GPS software and an external GPS antenna. Today, I use a ASUS 10" tablet with the CoPilot Live App (was under $10 when I bought it) and set it in RV mode. There is a trucker's version, but lots of bucks. Updates are free and I can move the tablet where ever I want. It also has trip routing software so I can plan the trip anywhere and then take the tablet with me in the RV. My maintenance software, truck stop locations, fuel mileage app, service center app, etc. are all on the same tablet. Portability.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Co Pilot

We use co pilot exactly the same way.....Are there any GPS that will fit the mount for the Holiday Rambler 2013?
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We (and 3 of our camping buds) are fans of the Garmin rv760 with free lifetime maps and traffic...

of course you still have to update the maps to get the best routing though
Old 11-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva51 View Post
We use co pilot exactly the same way.....Are there any GPS that will fit the mount for the Holiday Rambler 2013?

I had looked into that and was hoping that the Garmin Dezl 560 would fit and work. Unfortunately I couldn't find one to see. Seems that it was designed more so for commercial trucks than rv's. So went with the Rand McNalley 7735, also comes with lifetime free updates
Old 11-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie0 View Post
It does not matter which GPS you have, even one designed for RV's will sometimes send you down a bad path. We have the RV760 and it tried to send us up a narrow mountain road to over 8000 feet and back down again just to get to I-15 when we were leaving Zion National Park. We had driven that road the day before in the car and knew the GPS was crazy.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Now they use an in dash, Magnadyne combo GPS, radio, CD, DVD and weather radio and it seams to work for highway or city to city but I don't trust it yet so I still use the RM7720 to get around and find campgrounds. Hope it works out, only time will tell
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
It does not matter which GPS you have, even one designed for RV's will sometimes send you down a bad path. We have the RV760 and it tried to send us up a narrow mountain road to over 8000 feet and back down again just to get to I-15 when we were leaving Zion National Park. We had driven that road the day before in the car and knew the GPS was crazy.

Bob

Have to agree with you Bob, one thing GPS has taught me is to double check the route on Google, especially for the final access to my destination. I had the destinations on the wrong side of the road, have been routed to the back of a campground etc. They are a great tool but definitely not fool proof.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
ANY manufacturer supplied gps is the least cost option and always out of date...

I got a couple of upscale cars lately and in order to get backup camera I had to get gps... (know much better now !)

The audi's maps were at least 2 years old when we got it (maybe 3) and after we turned it in 3 years later, they still hadn't released any updated maps !

thank you very much - I'll go with the quarterly updated Garmins to give me a better shot...

Tags
gps, holiday rambler