Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2013 HR Vacationer not charging house batteries while driving.

I know this has been asked before and I know the basic answer about the solenoids. Disconnect is working and chassis is being charged when on AC. House batteries are not getting power while engine is running. trying to find someone with a wiring diagram or can tell me how this particular board handles the solenoid. In particular is it looking for a particular voltage? should it start charging as soon as the engine is running?

Any help from another late model HR gas owner would be helpful.

Also I emailed the HR service center and asked them for any troubleshooting info and after a week still no response.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure it is supposed to charge them? Mine doesn't, I have the household fridge and the inverter keeps it going all day while driving with no charge. Plug in to electricity at night and it recharges the batteries. If you boon dock then the generator auto start will fire up when it senses the low voltage and charge them too. I also have a solar panel that charges them. Maybe yours is different. Randy
Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
HR

I have a 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34SBD and the house batteries are charged by the engine alternator when the engine is running.

They actually charge up quicker that way then when hooked up to shore power.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the HR
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Randyman, Manual says it will charge.
Smokey, I have the same unit they didn't change much between 2012 and 13. My big question is when does it start to charge.
I am just trying to figure out if it is the solenoid or the circuit board.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieChief View Post
Smokey, I have the same unit they didn't change much between 2012 and 13. My big question is when does it start to charge.
Easy to check the solenoid. It is the same solenoid that activates when you use the aux. start. Have someone push the aux. start switch while you listen to see if the solenoid activates. If it does activate, use a vom to check continuity between the two large terminals to make sure it is making contact inside the solenoid.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I find if hard to believe that the house batteries do not get charged while driving, as stated in previous post. That doesn't even sound right. Most newer coached have a BIRD system that keeps all the batteries charged while driving or on shore/gen power.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Charging house batteries

Quote:
My house batteries went low one night due to the cold temps and the furnace running a lot and as a result I could not start the generator in the AM. Rather than use the boost switch, I just wanted to see how long it would take to get enough charge in house batteries to start the generator by running the engine.

Ran the engine for 5 mins. and then hit the generator start button and the generator fired up. Volts were at 12.05 by then.

Hope this helps

Mike
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron thanks don't know why I did't think to try the boost switch. I will check that tomorrow. Hopefully I can figure out where the problem is.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #9

The solenoid from the factory is the cheapest one they can get that goes bad in less than a year...Mine did, then replaced it with the gold contacts Trombetta relay (the model # should end in a 20 and not 10 like the one you have)...and no more problem...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you need a new relay, You can get it from JP Power in Ocala Fl. for $44.95 plus shipping. The part # is 114-1211-020
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Your rig is a '13 model. Is it still under warranty? Could end up being HR's problem, not yours.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I am just outside of the warranty period by a couple weeks. Good thing is the culprit appears to be the contactor. Ron my unit has a different part number. The cost for the new one $20.30 plus shipping from PJ Power in Florida.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well I am just outside of the warranty period by a couple weeks. Good thing is the culprit appears to be the contactor. Ron my unit has a different part number. The cost for the new one $20.30 plus shipping from PJ Power in Florida.
Good, I'm glad they were able to help you. They carry just about every solenoid made, and are easy to work with. When I ordered mine, I had it in two days.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Put the new contactor in and everything works like it's supposed to.
Thanks to everyone for the info

Tags
batteries, cat, charging, house batteries