RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #1

22.5 Tire Size Increase, 2001 Diplomat

Just purchased a 2001 Diplomat with 255/70R22.5 tires. Am considering a larger tire size to run cooler, maybe 295/80R22.5 or 305/85R22.5 or even 11R22.5. Has anyone made one of these tire size increases? Will any of the sizes fit?
MonteY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't done what you're planning, but a word of advise. With dualies, you have to watch the width of the tires. If they are too wide, they will be too close when mounted. When this happens, the gaps closes and can catch rocks and other debris between the tires, which can cause serious damage, blow outs and the results of that.

Of course a responsible dealer *should* warn you when this happens, but good to know if they don't.

Another note. Tire temp has more to do with proper inflation, rather than size. A properly rated tire with your coach weight, properly inflated for that weight is all that is needed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
The sizes you mention will likely have a problem with clearance in the top of your wheel well, but also the fronts when turning.

I changed mine to 275/70/22.5 load range H and they work fine. When you go to a larger size than you now have, your speedometer will not read correctly due to a larger tire size. You will need to go the tire makers site and find the revolutions per mile for your calculations as well as other information you will need.

I have attached some information on how to change the dip switches on the back of your speedometer to adjust this. One of these files is an Excel spreadsheet where you can insert numbers for your tire and get the setting results for the dip switches.

Bad part is you have to pull the dash out at the top for access, so remove ALL the dash screws first. You will also need to remove the back up monitor first. It has a knob on each side behind the dash that must be removed to get it out - a very tight fit. If you need more info about this or other information about this coach, contact me direct rbdtanasi at gmail.

Rex Darley 01 Diplomat 40 PBD
Attached Files
File Type: doc BeeDe speedometer calibration.doc (45.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: doc Speed calibration for my speedometer.doc (26.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Speedo page one 54626401.pdf (147.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Speedo page two 54626402.pdf (31.7 KB, 33 views)

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't own a Dip but a windsor is pretty close. I would say 295/75/22.5 or 295/80/22.5 or 11R22.5 would probably work. Check the specs closely on any 305's as most will require at least 9" rims. On my windsor, Monaco originally put 275/75/22.5 but ended changing them to 295/75/22.5 as the smaller tires were overloaded with a rated 12000lb front axle. My LF will rub slightly on the steering arm on a hard right turn. There is a steering stop you can adjust to eliminate the rub. Do a search on the yahoo Monacoers site for more relevant Dip info.
The rev's per mile is a bit smaller on any of these three options. If you use a GPS the speedo inaccuracy is less of an issue.