Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #1

My 2004 Monaco WDD on the 22K chassis with full water tank and full fuel and propane has just 535 pound CCC. I installed airbags on the rear, heavy duty sway bars front and rear, Bilstien shocks, davis tru-track and rear trac-bar. I know thats alot. But I need to know what can be done about the front leaf springs or the auxiliary elastomer springs to bring them up to 24K specs. I'm full timing and desperately need the extra cargo carring capacity.vehicle@harbornet.com
aerbusrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #2

My 2004 Monaco WDD on the 22K chassis with full water tank and full fuel and propane has just 535 pound CCC. I installed airbags on the rear, heavy duty sway bars front and rear, Bilstien shocks, davis tru-track and rear trac-bar. I know thats alot. But I need to know what can be done about the front leaf springs or the auxiliary elastomer springs to bring them up to 24K specs. I'm full timing and desperately need the extra cargo carring capacity.vehicle@harbornet.com
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
aerbusrv...
Welcome to iRV2 and hopefully the Monaco forum! I apologize for being so late welcoming you...I guess better late than never!

I feel this may get better responses on the Workhorse forum- so I am putting a shortcut to there...

Again welcome to iRV2 ...just ask for Monaco Karma when you are ready...and hopefully you will get some answers soon!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aerbusrv:
I know thats alot. But I need to know what can be done about the front leaf springs or the auxiliary elastomer springs to bring them up to 24K specs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bringing a W22 up to W24 specifications is so much more involved than springs alone.

A W24 and W22 share the same gear-set in the differential however The W24 uses the Allison 2000 series transmission which is rated for the increased weight capacity. If your were to increase your spring capacity to W24 ratings you would be over loading the transmission.

In order to increase the weight carrying capacity of your RV consider doing something with the 8.33 pounds per gallon of water you are carrying. Is a full tank of water needed at all times? I carry 100 gallons of fresh water, that's 833 pounds of water. Chop 500 pounds off that and you have increased your CCC to 1035 which may help you. I only carry at best 20 gallons at a time and I fill my tank as needed and then only after I have arrived at the location where I need the water. When conditions demand, I carry 3 - 7 gallons water containers and I would rather get the water and uploaded it into my tank after the vehicle is parked. Now the challenge is to unload the water when you leave, black water will only weigh so much however your gray tank could hold as much as 500 pounds of water. If at all possible I would dump that as soon as possible in a suitable location.

Full timing has its challenges. "IF" you haven't touched or used something that you are carrying all the time - throw it overboard. I had a 1 year no-touch rule. if it isn't touched within a year the next time I touch it it goes into storage or the garbage. I carried a lot of excess hardware and fluids of all types. Sort out what you need and dump the rest.

Air bags will not increase your weight carrying capacity at all. They will help trim out the coach so its more level from front to rear and that's all they do.

Consider reduced weight strategies and I would unequivocally tell you that there isn't anything further you can do to your suspension that will increase your weight carrying capacity.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #5

Thanks Driver
I have been drainging the fresh water tank for all of our trips and yes that does increase the CCC. However, that only brings the CCC up to about 1,000 lb's according to the factory label on weights and measures. Herein lies the problem, we need to have a copacity near 2,000 lb.'s. Right now without any fresh water, we are over a 1,000 lb. and I have removed everything that I possibly can. In my first message I forgot to mention that the factory specs stated the CCC with out a lot of the assesories that actually came with the rig. When I weighed the rig at the state police scale, the 535 lb. CCC was not there. I only had 250 lbs. of CCC capacity left. That's why I'm trying to find a solution to the front suspension. The rear air bags that I have are supposed to support another 1400 lbs.. And you are correct, the 24K chassis does use a different transmission, as well as brakes, they are slightly larger and I can correct this.
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
aerbusrv,
I can understand what you are dealing with, having had a similar situation ourselves. And I really appreciate that you are trying to modify your coach to handle more weight instead of just overloading it. Since we were going to live in our motorhome, our resolution was to trade it in, and having enough CCC was one of our priorities. Although we felt we could have maintained 1000 pounds of stuff, we didn't want to compromise on what we took with us, or compromise on safety. We went from approx. 1000 to approx. 4700 and now do not worry about over-loading. Sounds like you are trying to do the responsible things like getting it weighed and knowing your limitations. I wish you good luck.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote