Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

30 amp power to generator start up question

when im plugged into 30 amp power and my generator is running .i turn off the generator and the motorhome looses power for a second and flickers back on.i notice the tv and cable box will shut off and turn back on instanly.it kinda bugs me becuase my sattelite box will need to go throught the system set up and that takes about 5 minutes.

is this normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The reason there is delay is because of the Transfer Switch. Actually, when switching power sources, you should shut down anything in the coach that is drawing large amounts of 120 volt power. Then switch to the other power source, and then power up your item's in the coach. When I want to exercise the generator, I turn off all of the power consumption devices in the coach. Flip the 50 amp breaker off at the pedestal. Then start the generator and turn on the devices inside the coach AFTER the generator is supplying power to the coach. I always make sure that there is sufficient draw on the generator to actually exercise it and not just let it idle. Once done, I turn the devices off in the coach, stop the generator, flip the 50 amp breaker back on, then my surge protector takes another 2 1/2 minutes to go through its test before 120 volt power has been restored to the coach. Once I have power to the coach, I go around and turn everything back on. This procedure is the safest one to use without risking any damage to your transfer switch, devices inside the coach, or your circuits.

Regarding the satellite box, you may want to install a battery backup to save the settings. I just have to go through and reset the 120 volt clocks that don't have battery backup in them, like the microwave.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

I believe that would be from your power selection relay switching over and is normal operation. (At least it is in my first and only RV.) I also believe you are not supposed to switch power sources under load; it can cause pitting in the contacts of the relay.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes this is normal.. There are two ways you can fix it, and,,,, they may or may not work.. Here is my experience

When I was subscribed to DISH the receiver was happy but the Motosat in-motion Sat-TV antenna would re-set so I lost signal till it re-aquired the bird.. With DriecTV. it did not.. NOTE: same antenna, same controller, same, same, same. different result.

Now.. My solution.. I have a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 inverter/charger. when I loose 120vac or when it goes "out of spec" the inverter kicks in faster than the eye can see (Wall almost) and the receivers never loose power so they never reset.

A UPS should do that too.. (Though strange things can happen with a UPS since the MSW output of most of 'em may bother a sat receiver till real power is restored.... Should not be a major issue, close to the one I had with the Modosat dome on Dish)

The problem with a UPS is.... it will beep at you less you turn it off when you pull the plug and head down the road. (or run the genny)

My Recommendation is either a UPS (Turn it off when not needed) or ... Well. a TRUE SINE wave inverter like the Prosine..

SInce I have IN-Motion antenna.. I can record shows while driving and watch 'em later.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #5

maybee you need to just get an upgade sell that old beast.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

Normal in some rigs, not in others.

Our last coach was a 2003 Beaver Santiam, the same coach as the Monaco Diplomat and HR Endeavor. In that coach and in our current one, there was never enough lag to cause the satellite receiver to reboot. Sometimes the lights will flicker when going from generator power to inverter power, but that's the worst that happens.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One other thing... Earlier I suggested a UPS for the TV and sat receiver.. However I forgot something important

DO NOT HOT SWITCH

Auto Transfer switches can fail if you hot switch

(Hot switching is either starting the generator when connected to shore power WITH STUFF TURNED ON (hot) or, shutting down the same way.

Turn off everything you can.. The Sat receiver is ok, if it's got good surge and spike protection (A good quality UPS) but make sur water heater, Air conditioners and the like are all TURNED OFF

In fact. It is recommended you turn off the main breaker at the park outlet (or in the motor home) before changing power sources. and wait 3 minutes if you have Air Conditioners on, before you re-power
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One other thing... Earlier I suggested a UPS for the TV and sat receiver.. However I forgot something important

DO NOT HOT SWITCH

Auto Transfer switches can fail if you hot switch

(Hot switching is either starting the generator when connected to shore power WITH STUFF TURNED ON (hot) or, shutting down the same way.

Turn off everything you can.. The Sat receiver is ok, if it's got good surge and spike protection (A good quality UPS) but make sur water heater, Air conditioners and the like are all TURNED OFF

In fact. It is recommended you turn off the main breaker at the park outlet (or in the motor home) before changing power sources. and wait 3 minutes if you have Air Conditioners on, before you re-power
Is there an authoritative source for that advice?

In all my years of reading RV-related forums, I have never seen that one before. In the seven years we have been fulltiming, we have "hot switched" hundreds of times.

Is this advice generator-dependent?