Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Rick,

Glad you got these problems fixed.

BUT, and this is a big but, the system you have in place is inferior to the original inverter/charger that is there. It is only keeping your batteries charged.

An inverter will actually provide 120 volt power when you are not plugged or running the generator.

My guess is that the previous owner must have rewired the main and subpanels and bypassed the original inverted circuits since it had a pass through function. They must have have rewired and just connected the feed wires from the main panel to the subpanel.

This will work but not nearly as robust as the original system. If you are OK with running the generator all the time to have 120 volt power when not plugged in that's great. But for me having an inverter is not optional. We do way too much boon docking and dry camping.

This is what came on my rig Xantrex RV2012, 2000 Watt, 12 Volt RV Inverter This is now obsolete.

There are newer versions that provide Pure Sine Wave PSW power if you use sensitive electronics and if I were to upgrade I'd look at one of these.

Good luck,
Glad I could help and in the end it was a relatively easy fix for the issues you were having.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 06:16 AM   #16

Inver/ conver

Jim
I just notice my A/C meter (Not working) it was yesterday it is located in attachment picture? Also same pic shows invert remote control of the RC7.

Well we’ll that’s a surprise not happy knowing that I guess I need to look for replacement, 1 main reason
After going though bad luck. I believe the company JC is a good company I just got bad product.I replaced the refrigerator with the Amish style HVAC.The one I installed turned out to be a bad compressor the company was Honorable and sent me a replacement immediately install that works great for a month then stop dead.I just contacted the company again they sent me a third one after reviewing the third one before install back plates were bowed so severe that I could not bolt that into the back of the plastic refrigerator without busting it so I sent it back they refunded money. Then and bought me a residential HVAC Samsung 18 cuft. All that said
I need power during the time driving down rd while not running Generator as you said.
This is what was in mine I believe (trace engineering RC7&RC7GS)
Is this company (Xantrex RV2012, 2000 Watt, 12 Volt RV Inverter This is now obsolete.)
Will it be hard to replace???
Will look in provide Pure Sine Wave PSW power if you use sensitive electronics and if I were to upgrade I'd look at one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6DEB9EC-DA4D-463C-BD1D-07E6C25CD476.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	354428  
Easy does it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #17

Picture

Last was upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A04B59C0-393D-4F77-AD2D-A9625495D074.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	354429  
Old 01-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I thought I was having trouble with my inverter last year and started checking what it would take to replace but ultimately I was able to fix my problem, which was downstream of the inverter.

Since all the original wiring is there is should not be too difficult to install an inverter. The original inverter was probably 2000 watt which was probably a RV2012 Xantrex (also known as TRACE), which I find is plenty of power for me. I know others have upgraded to a 3000 watt.

There are two major brands that are normally used in an RV application, Xantrex and Magnum. Xantrex would drop right into place with minimal modification. A Magnum may require changes but is doable, people like the Magnum because you can by individual repair components if you have problems, while the Xantrex would probably have to be sent to a repair facility.

A new inverter will require a new display even if you stick with a Xantrex, but you should be able to use the same communication cable (looks like a phone cable but is wired differently).

There may be other things required depending on the model you choose.

I recommend doing some research. Here are a couple popular models

https://www.xantrex.com/power-produc...2v_newgen.aspx

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/in...tional-vehicle

You will have to determine what other components you need such as the display, battery temp sensor etc.

Here is a link to a post discussing potential changes, NOTE, it has links to other posts with details on how to change>> post #11 is a good one.https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/any...er-447840.html
Do a search on the IRV forum using the box in the upper right corner.

As an option you could take a chance on just putting back in a used RV2012 inverter, Here are several https://rvcomponents.visonerv.com/cg...-converters.pl
Old 01-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #19

Invert

Jim
Thanks will study up. Wife loves to remind me I am 12 grade educated with 10 grade Worth of credits. Good thing for football I would have graduated. Ha
Old 01-23-2022, 07:44 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
You might do some checking on sites like Craigslist, every once in a while there items like inverters listed. This might get you going quick at a lower cost until you figure out what you want to do.

And/or you might consider installing a small inverter just to support the refrigerator, ~1000 watt would be plenty.

I actually installed a 2nd smaller inverter as a backup in case the original has a problem. It gives me some flexibility also if I just want to run the refrigerator with it I can shut the larger one off. It can also charge the batteries if needed. Haven't used it yet but it's ready if/when I need it.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The signal comes from the same wire that is the generator powered on light in the switch (or display panel.)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
The signal comes from the same wire that is the generator powered on light in the switch (or display panel.)

YUP, he got that part of his problems fixed.

Now looking at upgrading the converter that someone else installed instead of an Inverter.

Tags
amps, generator