Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We got a black bra. Put it on and said the hell with the whole mess.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
JAW

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I finished the removal of our 3M mask last Spring. We both worked on it several hours a day and it took 3 weeks. We used a product called Vinyl Soft and the red plastic razor blades (~40 of them). Attempting to use a heat gun made a gooey mess; I don't know if steam would be any better. Part of the problem is that the 3M film loses its tensile strength and could not be pulled off. I parked the MH pointing into the AZ morning sun and that amount of temperature (~110 to 120 deg) surface temperature helped. Paint damage was limited to one area below a running light where it obviously had some paint repair after the coach left the paint booth but before the mask was installed. Un-catalyzed paint had been used so it lifted. When using the plastic razor blade use a slicing motion along an edge of the film not a pushing motion. I do have some pictures if you think any of them might help. Good luck, it was a tortuous job but I'm glad we did it.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
JAW - yes, please send pics. Mine is ugly, too.

I keep waiting for the mask to simply 'fall-off' from me glaring at it but don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
JAW

Monaco Owners Club
Below are some pictures (hope this works, I haven't done this before). The first picture shows the scrapers with plastic razor blades and the bottle of Vinyl Soft. Note: the small yellow holder is too small since it has to be gripped firmly. The second picture shows how I used the slicing motion with the corner of the blade. I could only get the corner of the blade under the film about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. I estimated the removal rate was about 2 to 3 hours per square foot. The last picture reflects how much of the adhesive was left on the surface after the vinyl was removed. The Vinyl Soft solution did remove this but it was slow. I tried 3M adhesive removal products but they were ineffective. I'm not having any luck attaching the photos so I'll try sending them to directly to you.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

Jaw, would you mind sending me the pictures as well as I need to take mine off also.

Thanks

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #20

Finally, i was successful.

The clothes steamer and plastic blades did the job
I only had to use this combo where the film was brittle and has no way to stretch. Areas where i could stretch and pull, it worked fine too.

Later i used gasoline to take that residual goo off.

Looks fine now.
jim
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 AM   #21

Dazzling Detailing did mine!

I just had Dazzling Detailing remove my 3M film and replace it with "generation 3" 3M film. They did a fantastic job! It cost $800.00 to remove the old film and $1200.00 to put on the new film.

I went to Sanford, FL to get the work done. They have a full hook-up parking lot to use while they work on your RV. It is a great set-up.

I have included before and after pictures (at least I tried, this website doesn't upload photos well). If you have any questions or want more photos, please feel free to email me, include your phone number (if you want) and I will call you to talk about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	108979  
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:57 AM   #22

After pic

Another upside down picture, why does this website do that??? Sorry folks, not my fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	108980  
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #23

Great job. We have an 05 Navigator not as bad as yours but I would like the 3m junk taken off and left off.