Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
3M Film Question

I’m buying glue remover for the film on the front of my coach. It’s a Monaco Diplomat 2005. Does anyone know if this is 3M film or Diamond Shield? Apparently the glue is different for each.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

Based on your coach build year, it is probably 3M invishield. Good luck with it. I ended up having to repaint after removal!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

On our 2005 Dip I tried everything to remove the 3M mask. Goo-b-gone, paint thinner, acetone, pb blaster, wd 40, with no effect. The only thing that worked was a 500watt halogen light placed too close to soften the mask. Move the light over to heat another section, and while it was hot scrape with an ice scraper. Then used paint thinner to get leftover glue off. Had no damage to the paint and was able to put Diamond Sheild on, by a guy in Mainheim PA.
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If your film is original, it's 3M. The problem is, the glue is under the plastic film. This makes it tough to get the glue remover into the glue.

I used a Costco pressure washer to remove it. The pressure washer cuts through the plastic film.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The best thing I’ve found for removing the glue after you get the film off is Citrus air freshener...not the 100% biodegradable type. I used a heat gun and plastic razor blades to get the film off.

I tried a pressure washer without much success. Do NOT use one with hot water...took the film off really well and the paint underneath.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
3M removal

I followed the DIY advice from Wayne of Ugly Shield in Florida. Couldn’t make the drive to him so I took on the challenge after watching the you tube videos. Took longer than expected but I didn’t have the warm weather to help with the sticky film removal. Also lost a couple inches of clear coat on a black chrome plastic headlight frame. Looks like a brand new coach now, no mold or scratches in the film. I’m NOT planning on having new film installed.

Wayne’s advice was helpful and spot on. Just wish he was closer or there were mobile techs that would follow his guidance.
JnCMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
3M Film Question

I too am using the method by Ugly Shield and the removal of the film is going well. I’m about to order their glue removal product. I just used a can of 3M’s Auto Adhesive Remover and it worked well but does not cover enough area for a job this size.[ATTACH]245181

The plastic chisels work well and this is about two hours worth of work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	245181  
Old 05-09-2019, 03:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
I’m buying glue remover for the film on the front of my coach. It’s a Monaco Diplomat 2005. Does anyone know if this is 3M film or Diamond Shield? Apparently the glue is different for each.
Ours was professional removed in two hours by two guys. They used wallpaper steamers and about 1000 plastic razor blades. The paint looked like new underneath. They had something in a spray bottle they used to remove the glue but would not tell me what it was. I have heard that xylene works.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 AM   #9
YC1

Bob, I used xylene. About a gallon. Other glue designed for decal removal was about useless and 5 times the cost.

Lots of plastic razor blades and a plastic scraper that I kept sanding down. I glued a couple of grits of sandpaper onto a board and kept the scraper sharp. It started out around ten inches long and was about four when done. It was a tremendous amount of work. I suspect a steamer would have been really helpful.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
A heat gun warming up the fiberglass from behind works nicely too. The fiberglass tends to hold the heat and keep the film warm, aiding removal.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #11

It works best when 2 people are doing it but I too removed mine using a steamer mine is a McCullagh I have had for a long time and non marring scrapers from Harbour Freight then mineral spirits to get of the glue followed by "good paste wax my 2002 looks like new done a few hours at a time over a couple of days but call it an 8 hr job for one. If you have a second person you can scrape off the film as it is being heated and it flows rather than stop and go
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Previous coach we did with a wallpaper steamer, 'Quick-n-Easy' remover, and many plastic scrapers. Took about 40 hr total.

Current coach already had 2/3 removed when we bought it, but the remaining part looked awful. Used a credit card this time, took about 45 seconds .

I like the idea of heating the fiberglas from the back, Harry. I'd tried the heatgun from the front on the first coach, but kept melting either my fingers or the plastic blade, or it all would get too hot and start softening the paint. Doing it from the back spreads out the heat more evenly. Very smart
Old 04-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
3M Film and adhesive removal process lessons learned

Just finished removing the 3M clear film and adhesive from my 2008 40PDQ. Used heat gun and plastic chisels for the film removal process. Used the heat gun on low and would swipe a small area for just a few seconds and then scrap the film off with the plastic chisel. Just a little heat softens the plastic enough for scraping off. Like many folks tried various over the counter adhesive removers (Xylene, Goo-b-gone, acetone, mineral spirits, WD40, denatured alcohol, gasoline) and the best I found is Stoners Tarminator. It is carried in auto parts stores in the washes and waxes section not in the adhesive remover section. Tall spray can yellow cap $6 - $7 price range. Spray on adhesive area (6" X 6") let sit for minute or two and scrap with credit card or your wide plastic chisel. May be a thin residual adhesive remaining in some spots that is easily removed with a cloth sprayed with Stoner Tarminator and a little elbow grease. I used a can and a half for the entire front of the coach. I truly understand why they charge so much money to do this task. It is hard, very messy and tedious but if you work in small area increments and use patience you can get through it. Many hours involved but spread out over several days makes it go better. Pictures show partial film removed and adhesive that is left. Clear picture is finished result after use of the Stoners. (Not sure why pictures came out sideways. I click on them and they open in separate window in correct orientation) I hope this summary helps save some time and $$ for those going to go through the film removal process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Film - Adhesive Front shot.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	280659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Film - Adhesive Angle shot.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	280660  

Name:	Front Angle Finished.jpg