Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
3M Film Removal... OK, I quit!

Tried the usual methods (heat gun, glue remover, steamer, razor-blades, swearing at it, etc) and nothing seems to be doing even a 'fair' job of removing the badly-checked/spidered 3M vinyl film from the front of our '06 Endeavor without taking forever AND messing-up the paint.

Ironically, trying to remove the film - which is supposed to protect the paint underneath - is doing much worse damage than I've had occur on all my other rv's combined that DIDN'T have the 'protectant' film.

Anyways, I've resolved to just covering it all up with one of those nose-mitten/bra things over the top of the 3M, and try to forget it. Although I've seen a lot of rv's that have them, I never paid any attention to mfgr, quality, standard/custom fit, etc, til now.

Therefore, I'm turning to the Collective for suggestions as to what brand/model may be a 'must have' or 'forget this' from your experience(s).

Thanks in advance.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I got lucky, I removed the 3M mask on my Windsor myself using a steamer and heavy plastic scrapers. It took me +40 hours. I only had a couple deep paint chips that pulled paint. After ~3 years the front still looks better then with the PITA mask.

How 3M is still able to sell this product and why RV manufacturers are still using it amazes me.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree - There should be a class action against 3M to remove the plastic crackle. Mine is bad and I will begin the removal soon - just hope I don't have to repaint when I'm done.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

I wonder if it's 3M or the installation process that is the problem. Our 3M mask on our '06 Dynasty was installed at the factory is now approaching 10 years old, and you still can't even tell its on the coach, except for a couple of edges where a bit of dirt has collected where the very edge has lifted. The front of the coach has zero chips, and it still literally looks new. They put it on the headlight assemblies, too, and they are still clear and chip-free. We wouldn't want to do without it. We've done the same on all of our autos, and ALL of them have held up fantastically.

Our vehicles are in a relatively dry climate (SW Idaho & Arizona) most of the time.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

If we can assume that factory installation would have been the same on all vehicles, then IMO the drier climate is what's allowed your film to remain in good condition.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ummmm... any suggestions about a nose-mitten/bra?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

there is some stuff you can get like this that it well not hurt the RV

terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Put some of this in a hudson sprayer, spray bottle or a rag.

Vinyl-Off by CrystalTek? Green products that work
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Ummmm... any suggestions about a nose-mitten/bra?
Nope, we're off on a tangent.

Seriously, I don't have any advice on a bra except that I've read that they can be a PITA because they get dirt and stuff behind them and wind up creating more issues than they prevent. But I have no practical experience with them.
My paint/coat is peeling on the front of my MH. My plan is to get a spray-on truck bed liner type of material put on there. They come in different colors and different "grit", so it won't look like a truck bed on there. Maybe not what you're looking for, but an alternative to a bra.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a thread about it.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/truc...ra-220526.html
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post

While we were on the west coast last year and camped in an Oregon SP there was a MH that had the whole thing sprayed in bed liner. What a sight to see but there would be no waxing or concerns of dings in the paint.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our old motorhome came with a bra when we bought it and we used it with no problems for ten years. It kept the bugs out of the radiator and chips off the paint. It looked good too! I always removed it when putting the RV back in the barn and especially when it was wet I removed it to dry.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...any suggestions about a nose-mitten/bra?...
I got tired of cleaning bugs off the front and opted for the bra. I still have my clear film on the nose of the MH underneath, and it is in fine shape. I made an appointment with a local company that makes custom boat covers to get my bra made.

I parked the MH in their lot one morning and they came out and took a zillion measurements. They started by fabricating a bra template out of sheets of heavy plastic. They cut all of the light holes and snugged it up around the windshield wipers to meet my approval. Took them about 90 minutes to do.

They then removed the plastic template and retreated to their shop. They took the template apart and used its pieces as a pattern. It took them about three hours to make the actual bra; when they installed it, it was a perfect fit. I spent the whole time in the MH watching TV and working crossword puzzles.

On my next trip to Forest City I stopped in the Parts Department and purchased a Winnebago badge from one of their newer models. I glued it to the center of the bra to add that factory-finish look. Total cost of the project was about $550, and $25 of that was the Winnebago emblem.

Bugs are a whole lot easier to get off the bra than they are to get off the clear film.

\ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0431c.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	84827  
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just because I'm out in the garage swearing doesn't mean I'm not having a good time.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal