RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
3M protection

Hey guys,

My older DP came with the optional (I believe) 3M protection shield for the front end. Iím sure it has done its job admirably as the stuff is proving to be a formidable adversary to get off.

Iím trying to remove it because it has started to deteriorate and makes my decent looking coach look awful. Does anyone have the secret formula or any luck with this?

My power washer is only 1800 psi and the 3M only laughs at it. Iíve thought of heat guns and scraping but with my disabilities I wouldnít last 10 minutes and would be down for days. Are there any solvents that could penetrate this tough rhino hide?

Thanks beforehand,

Any and all thoughts/suggestions welcome
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #2

Hi ArkansasRomr; Yes, it is a horrible job to do. I started on my 01 Windsor this year and still not finished because of the effort it takes to get that crap off. There is a company in Florida that makes a product called something JUICE. This company removes masks on coaches. If you go to U-Tube and put in something like, 3-M Mask removal, you should get some video's by the company doing the mask removal using their JUICE product. I did not use their product as it is not cheap! I used good old fashion gasoline as a solvent and that still takes work. Also put in your question about the mask removal in the search box at the top of this page and there should be a lot of info by others here who have done this job.

I am 85% done on my coach and keep finding excuses to finish the job. Good luck on your search for an easier way to get this done. It is doable, but not easy!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I removed mine in 2012. It took me ~40 hours over 4-5 weekends. I used a good steamer which helped. I tried several different chemicals (3M, GooGone) and finally just resorted to gasoline. My wife had some puppy peepee training pads and I found if I soaked with gasoline and held them against the coach it allowed the gasoline to do it's work with out evaporating. I used heavy scrapers to remove the mask and the adhesive.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
heat gun and xylene ( Goo Gone's main ingredient) or mineral spirits. Plan on a lot of tedious hours of work.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi ArkansasRomr; Yes, it is a horrible job to do. I started on my 01 Windsor this year and still not finished because of the effort it takes to get that crap off. There is a company in Florida that makes a product called something JUICE. This company removes masks on coaches. If you go to U-Tube and put in something like, 3-M Mask removal, you should get some video's by the company doing the mask removal using their JUICE product. I did not use their product as it is not cheap! I used good old fashion gasoline as a solvent and that still takes work. Also put in your question about the mask removal in the search box at the top of this page and there should be a lot of info by others here who have done this job.

I am 85% done on my coach and keep finding excuses to finish the job. Good luck on your search for an easier way to get this done. It is doable, but not easy!

Hey Oilbuner,

Thatís what I was afraid of! Iíve worked hard all my life and retirement means sitting with a nice glass of iced tea. So the work involved has scared me off the project. But Iíll give the gas a go because that front end looks nasty.

Thanks again
Old 09-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I removed mine in 2012. It took me ~40 hours over 4-5 weekends. I used a good steamer which helped. I tried several different chemicals (3M, GooGone) and finally just resorted to gasoline. My wife had some puppy peepee training pads and I found if I soaked with gasoline and held them against the coach it allowed the gasoline to do it's work with out evaporating. I used heavy scrapers to remove the mask and the adhesive.
Hey jacwjames,

So gas certainly seems the route. The gas soaked pads sound like a good idea as well.

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
heat gun and xylene ( Goo Gone's main ingredient) or mineral spirits. Plan on a lot of tedious hours of work.
Hey Spdracr39,

I will look into the xylene. I do have a heat gun that I purchased just for the job, guess I need to start using it.

Has anyone tried a high pressure (3500 psi) power washer?
It may take off the paint as well as the mask!

Thanks
Old 09-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I used a Powerstroke 3200psi pressure washer from Costco. It has interchangeable nozzles and I experimented with each one. I ended up using the 0 degree nozzle (most powerful) and cut a zig zag pattern in the film. Then went back at an angle and blew it off.
Still had to use Goo Gone to remove some leftover adhesive.

If the paint is good it will not take it off.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #9

Wife And I removed the mask on our coach, working off and on over about a week. We used a steamer, plastic scrapers and lots of goo gone and elbow grease. I think at the time a company here in Fla. would remove it for about $800, and after the 1st day I told my wife that I should have taken it to them. But at the end of the week I was kind of proud of the 2 of us doing the job ourselves.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #10

Good morning ArkansasRomr; There is a U-Tube video back in 2016 of a gentlemen using a pressure washer to remove a heavy detartrated 3-M mask on his class A coach. I found the video by using Bing. It is about 6 minutes in length and shows the pressure washer in action. If you can find it you might want to watch the video. Takes some of the hard labor out of the job!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I first tried Xylene then ended up using gasoline and a plastic scraper on mine. Here is a video showing me doing it.

https://youtu.be/rQHjDNNpejs
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good morning ArkansasRomr; There is a U-Tube video back in 2016 of a gentlemen using a pressure washer to remove a heavy detartrated 3-M mask on his class A coach. I found the video by using Bing. It is about 6 minutes in length and shows the pressure washer in action. If you can find it you might want to watch the video. Takes some of the hard labor out of the job!
That video would be great!

Thanks
Old 09-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I used a Powerstroke 3200psi pressure washer from Costco. It has interchangeable nozzles and I experimented with each one. I ended up using the 0 degree nozzle (most powerful) and cut a zig zag pattern in the film. Then went back at an angle and blew it off.
Still had to use Goo Gone to remove some leftover adhesive.

If the paint is good it will not take it off.
So a higher psi washer will take that demon off! Thatís good news.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
I first tried Xylene then ended up using gasoline and a plastic scraper on mine. Here is a video showing me doing it.

https://youtu.be/rQHjDNNpejs
I may have to go the gasoline route since my washer is only 1800 psi. If it turns out to be too much work (disabilities) I may have to break down and get a high power washer.

Thanks for the video!