Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ok, I looked all over mine, and see no seams or anything indicative of anything being over the paint. The previous owners were extremely proud owners and took care of the RV to the extreme, so I'm guessing they had it removed at some point.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Jealous, Robbie... I'm so jealous! Looks like you did indeed miss that headache. The film edge would show right about where the shading changes above the headlite turn-signal assembly.

But, if you're feeling left out, I'm sure you could volunteer to help others do theirs .
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
For now, if you are in the Dallas area and a few frosty bevs are involved, I'm all for helping.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, I could sweeten the deal, RobbieH. Right now, we're caretakers of some undeveloped state park property in the FL Keys... right on the bayside and plenty of room. Frosty beverages still included, too.

Finally got wife involved. She has a LOT more patience than I do (well yeah, she married me, what does that say??) and as others have said, it just takes time. Lots of time.

Still working with the wallpaper-steamer, plastic scraper blades, Rapid-Remover adhesive cleaner, and then rubbing compound to finish it off and get it all shiny again.

Lots of work.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
I wish I had time to come visit in Florida. We are prepping our house to list, and getting ready for full-time!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
One of the quotes to remove mine was $3000! I said no thank you. I can almost have it repainted for that amount.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #21

Watched the pros remove one last week. Heatgun ,plastic scrapers and 2 gallons of xylene on for just long enough to soften glue. Then polish and buff . Took one guy about 10 hours plus buffing.
roddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddie View Post
Watched the pros remove one last week. Heatgun ,plastic scrapers and 2 gallons of xylene on for just long enough to soften glue. Then polish and buff . Took one guy about 10 hours plus buffing.

Xylene, last time I used that, was to dope my race tires, opps did I say that! [emoji56]
Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
They musta used diluted xylene (uhhh... on the coach, not on the tires, I mean ). I tried xylene on a very inconspicious spot on the coach and washed it off right afterwards - still discolored the paint a little.

I think getting that film off is kinda like waiting for Christmas, it's going to happen but on its own schedule and you can't really hurry it. I bet the UPS guy thinks I'm starting a meth-lab or something with all the various 'HAZARDOUS' label chemicals he's been delivering of late. I've tried 'em all.

A heat-gun and plastic blades works very well, but there's an extremely thin-line between enough heat to soften the film and too much heat and softening the paint too . It was too tough to keep that distance & heat & time regulated without causing damage. Don't have to ask how I know.

Having the best luck with a Wagner wallpaper steamer and orange plastic razor blades. I took off the attachment on the end, and use just the hose nozzle pointed close to the film for maybe 5 seconds. Once it starts, it's easy to just move the nozzle slowly and follow it with the blade. Takes a lot of blades tho, they bend and then break easy with the heat.

I follow it with 'Rapid-Remover' or with 'Quick-n-Easy', and more blades. QnE seems to work a little better, but will fog the headlite plastic when/if you get some on it (and now I have another job to do ).

I'd say we have maybe a total of 12 hours into it so far and are about 3/4 done, so I guessing 16-18 hours total to complete. And that's not all at once, more like an hour here and 20 minutes there, etc. That's also not counting the attempts with different methods or materials, because I'd only do maybe 1/4 square foot each time, down low where it wasn't seen easily if something went wrong.

I hope this helps. It's not a fun-job but not difficult either, just time-consuming. But WOW! does it look better afterwards!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #24

He was dobbing the thick glue and scraping with the plastic scraper to remove the thickest glue. He did mention it took real finess not to remove the clear coat.
roddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #25

had mine done they just repaired glass and re painted front top and rear due to clear coat delam. Looks great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh paint.png
Views:	103
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	156403  
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #26

We had good luck with this

http://www.autotechmfg.com/products
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 AM   #27

Link is not working for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
We had good luck with this

http://www.autotechmfg.com/products
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Auto Tech Manufacturing Click here and then hit products.

Anybody tried this stuff? GraphXOff Vinyl, Adhesive and Paint Remover - GROG

My nephew is in the graphics business...30 hours to get his nose clean. Soooo I watch all these threads and am waiting for the miracle solution before I do mine.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote