Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

$4,400.00 to Replace EGR - Detroit Diesel

Now that I am back on road with my 2005 Signature with the Detroit Diesel, I have been reading about the Ugly Fix! Is anyone running the Detroit Diesel using this chip? It sounds too good to be true, but it has been out long enough that I believe what I am reading. Just looking for some hands on experience. Thanks in advance. And if you don't want to answer on the open forum, please private email me.
Alphamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've got it following recommendation from others that will probably comment.
Unfortunately the EGR system must be in good condition for it to work so you can't avoid repairing it if that is your intention.
The Ugly Fix works as advertised. I get better acceleration and more power. When I'm not smiling gleefully about that I get better fuel economy.
Worth every cent and more. Potentially the engine should run cooler but haven't seen that. I do get an extra 1/2 mile to the gallon on most trips.
You won't see it in the mountains obviously but you will climb those hills much easier.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last I checked they were still working on the ugly fix for our ISX, hope they get it out before the thing blows up again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #4

Yes I have already made the repairs. I ordered the Ugly Fix this morning. Should be worth it just to not have the egr messing around with engine performance. I thought I had read about it on here but could not find anything using the search function. The shop that replaced the egr told me the egr cooler had a slight leak because they could see evidence of coolant in the egr. I will have that replaced before I install the chip. I think the coolant leak most likely caused the egr failure.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Last I checked they were still working on the ugly fix for our ISX, hope they get it out before the thing blows up again.

Might want to take another look. They are now advertising it for the ISX. And, they are on sale.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #6

Have 10,000 miles on our coach since the ugly fix install. Engine runs a tick cooler on the Aladdin gauge. Also getting .7 mpg better. That's point seven. No change in power though. .7 mpg better for a cross country trip more than pays for ugly.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamonk View Post
Might want to take another look. They are now advertising it for the ISX. And, they are on sale.
Sent them a request with info on our ISX as I'm not sure if it'll work on our version. Yep, on sale till the 15th so I have a day or so.
Thanks for the heads up!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Have 10,000 miles on our coach since the ugly fix install. Engine runs a tick cooler on the Aladdin gauge. Also getting .7 mpg better. That's point seven. No change in power though. .7 mpg better for a cross country trip more than pays for ugly.

Man that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Mine is on its way!
Dave
Old 06-14-2016, 04:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sent them a request with info on our ISX as I'm not sure if it'll work on our version. Yep, on sale till the 15th so I have a day or so.
Thanks for the heads up!

No problem. Hope they can help you out.
Dave
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Ugly Fix about 9500 miles ago and love it. It always seemed like I was dragging a 50,000 lb. trailer when I started from a stop for about 15 feet then would take off fine. With the Ugly installed it jumps off the line like a dragster (not really). It seem to hold speed on steep grades better now. We have been from sea level to 11,000 feet elevation in the Colorado mountains and the Ugly really works. An added advantage is I really do get at least .5 MPG better which will pay for the Ugly in one long trip. I have to get emission tests every year in Colorado and last time I removed it for the test. I ordered the 3' extension and placed it where I can install and remove from the back (should of got a 4' extension). Next time I am going to leave it in and see how it goes for testing......

Good luck
Dave
Old 06-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #11

I also have the Ugly Fix, and will echo the performance increases. I had not seen a measurable increase in the fuel mileage until I had the valve lash done, now I am seeing a .5-.7mpg increase. I have 111,000 miles on my Detroit.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #12

Man o man these post are music to my ears. On the first half of my last trip with the EGR faulty I got 3.4 to 3.6 mpg!. On the way home I got 6.2 which is right in line with what I expected. I am waiting on my Ugly Fix now. I think I will just call it the UF fix.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've got 70000 miles on my Series 60 and have been putting off doing a hot set (valve lash or top) but I'm thinking it's worth the $500-$600 to get it done.
Could be worth another .5mpg?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
I've got 70000 miles on my Series 60 and have been putting off doing a hot set (valve lash or top) but I'm thinking it's worth the $500-$600 to get it done.
Could be worth another .5mpg?

Sent from my iPhone
That will not take long to pay for itself.
Dave

Tags
diesel, replace, ace