Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
I've got 70000 miles on my Series 60 and have been putting off doing a hot set (valve lash or top) but I'm thinking it's worth the $500-$600 to get it done.
Could be worth another .5mpg?

Sent from my iPhone
I with concurrence from the Detroit dealer I went to kept putting it off from 60,000 miles when Detroit says to do it, and the dealer said I'd just be wasting my money as he'd never had one at that low a mileage need any adjustment. I finally had mine done at 108,000 as I was having no drivability issues, no smoke, etc. The tech said it did need adjustment so that was good and the mileage increase is more than welcome. As an addition I had it done in Ocala, FL and was very impressed with the shop, we made the engine as accessible as possible, moved everything out of the way and removed all access panels, it ended up saving me a lot of money.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #16

Ordered my Ugly Fix Monday and received it Tuesday! I had not noticed they are in Charlotte, NC. That is about 45 minutes from me.
Alphamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamonk View Post
No problem. Hope they can help you out.
Dave
I called them yesterday and talked with one of the designers I guess. He assured me it would work with no troubles so I ordered one, but they said they would send a verification of the order and I haven't gotten it yet. Guess I better check with them about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
I installed the Ugly Fix about 9500 miles ago and love it. It always seemed like I was dragging a 50,000 lb. trailer when I started from a stop for about 15 feet then would take off fine. With the Ugly installed it jumps off the line like a dragster (not really). It seem to hold speed on steep grades better now. We have been from sea level to 11,000 feet elevation in the Colorado mountains and the Ugly really works. An added advantage is I really do get at least .5 MPG better which will pay for the Ugly in one long trip. I have to get emission tests every year in Colorado and last time I removed it for the test. I ordered the 3' extension and placed it where I can install and remove from the back (should of got a 4' extension). Next time I am going to leave it in and see how it goes for testing......

Good luck
Dave
We have to so a smog check ever two years on MH's. All they do is look for black smoke. So unless it throws a bunch more soot out it should pass here. I didn't realize they made an extension, guess I should look into that since I have a feeling it's going to be a real hassle getting to mine. Might have to open the interior and that's NOT easy in our rig!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #19

I put The Ugly Fix on our coach approximately 50,000 miles ago. Our coach had a lag on acceleration which the Ugly Fix totally eliminated. This made the throttle very responsive. Fuel mileage increase is 0.5-0.3mpg. The Ugly fix is worth the money.

Another good thing about the Ugly Fix is the reduction in soot introduced into the engine by the ERG. This should prolong engine life.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I put the Ugly Fix in our coach 18 months ago. We have been to eastern PA and Tucson twice and now am in route to Fairbanks, AK. Mileage has gone up 0.8 mpg, seems to climb hills better and definitely runs about 5 DEG cooler when pulling a long hill. I have a Silverleaf and can watch the effect of the cooling fan as it turns on and off. Saved the cost on the first trip east.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #21

Ok I'm dumb but what is the ugly fix and will it do anything to a ISL?
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the web site for the Ugly Fix for a Cummins.... I would call them... Check the Deal of the Day. ISX for $110

The Ugly Fix® Cummins EGR Control Module® Delete - Cummins EGR Performance Module Delete Kit (The Ugly Fix™)

Good Luck
Dave
Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #23

Okay, I got mine installed Sunday. Man was that a job! Couldn't reach it from the bottom, couldn't reach it from the back, couldn't reach it from the access panel in the closet! Finally wound up having to remove the 4" pipe from the CAC in order to get my body far enough alongside the engine to get to it. Have not driven it yet, but I can tell the difference in throttle response just revving the engine. Whew!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I installed and noticed Immediate increase! Yes I can tell a difference with acceleration and power. Added 0.8mpg too!
I installed from the top bedroom access but I have long arms.
Worth every $ !!!!
SSRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As an addendum to my earlier post.
I pulled the bedroom access panel and found that I didn't need to do that for the Ugly Fix install. I did need to get to an upper hose clamp that was leaking so it wasn't a total loss.
I found that it was easy to access the correct connector through the side access on our rig. In fact I could get my whole upper body into the correct area. Found I didn't need the 4' extension cable I bought and will see if I can return it. Ours is so accessible that I can do it alongside the road if necessary although I should wait for it too cool down.
The picture shows the UF module in place just to the right of the black loom cover and on top of the red painted loom in the middle of the picture. Double click on the picture to enlarge it.
Haven't done anything but start and move the rig a few feet and I didn't get any error messages. Also, the UF doesn't leave a footprint in the ECM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_120413[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	131482  
Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 AM   #26

Well I drove my rig about 4 miles to rinse the holding tanks. Definitely much better throttle response from a dead stop. Can't wait to get it on the road for a real time test. Looks like this coming September for another 1300 mile trip to St. Louis, Mo.

Dave
Old 02-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just to add.
The Ugly Fix tricks the engine into thinking it’s at 10000’ which is where the EGR is designed to close. So from ground you get no exhaust gases being recycled

Tags
diesel, replace, ace