Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #1

400 ISL won't turn off !!

Hate to be one of those that screams "Urgent" but I've got an engine running and can't turn it off. It Started with (engine off) brake lights coming on by themselves and the beeper beeping (the one for low air warning). I taped the brake pedal a couple of times thinking something might be stuck. That didn't do it, then I started the engine and did a walk around and didn't see or hear anything unusual. Beeper was still beeping and the brake lights had gone out. I turned the key and nothing happened. I'm getting ready to look thru my cummins book and owners manual but thought I would give you guys a shot and see if there is a way to shut these things down quickly. Any comments would be appreciated......This is a 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter - 400 ISL.

Bryan
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only two ways to stop a diesel under normal conditions. Usual is to shut off the fuel flow. The other is to shut off the air flow. Some older diesels had an air flow shut off too. Your fuel shut off solenoid isn't doing it's job for whatever reason. Shorted wiring perhaps, maybe even a bad switch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Pull the ignition fuse in the main panel. On my coach it is in the outside panel just below the driver seat/behind the left front tire.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

400 ISL won't turn off

Hey Guys, thanks for the reply. I was getting ready to put a board across the opening to my airfilter and tried turning the key off one more time and after a delay of about 5 seconds, she went dead!! I promptly flipped my battery cutoff switches so the beeping would stop. I'll also check out the fuse idea as well for future reference. Tomorrow is another day!! Thanks again... bryan
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My first diesel MH all the wiring burnt, but the engine didn't stop. Had to choke it to death. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #6

You might want to check the condition of the ignition switch. They are known to fail.

Also, you may have a switch back in the engine compartment that allows starting the engine from the rear. That may enable you to shut it down from the back. I know you can start it from the back if the ignition switch is on and assume you can shut it down from there too.

Good luck!
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #7

Be careful blocking off the flow of air prior to the air filter. I knew somebody that was in the same situation and did that and sucked the air filter element into the motor
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
YC1

Not my favorite option but turning off the battery switches would probably do the trick.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #9

You can try but my motor will start and run with the master battery switches off. The only way to stop on is to pull the connector or pull the fuse for the fuel shutoff solenoid. My fuse is located in the RRB.

The other way to shut it off is to kink or pull off the fuel hose from the top of the fuel tank.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
You can try but my motor will start and run with the master battery switches off. The only way to stop on is to pull the connector or pull the fuse for the fuel shutoff solenoid. My fuse is located in the RRB.

The other way to shut it off is to kink or pull off the fuel hose from the top of the fuel tank.
Mike,
Why couldn't you just open the drain petcock on the fuel/water filter separator and let it suck air? You would have to re-prime before starting but seems like it would work.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #11

Yep that would work also.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #12

There's one really nasty "won't shut off" that a friend of mine experienced a couple of years ago. Somehow, the engine stared feeding itself on the lube oil in the sump. It just ran faster and faster until it had used up the oil and then it blew to pieces.

It's an unusual failure but it has soured me on diesels.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #13

I would think if it were possible for it to start feeding itself sump oil and keep running, blowing apart might be the best thing that could happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
There's one really nasty "won't shut off" that a friend of mine experienced a couple of years ago. Somehow, the engine stared feeding itself on the lube oil in the sump. It just ran faster and faster until it had used up the oil and then it blew to pieces.

It's an unusual failure but it has soured me on diesels.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote