RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

50 amp power down to 15 amp power

My coach requires a 50 amp service. I have seen adaptors to adapt the power down to a 30 amp service at a camp site. But I do not have a 30 amp service at my home, only a 15 amp service. If I plug into my home power what will run..if anything? Will my fridge work?? For all you guys out there who keep their coach at their homes do you have 30 amp power or????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used a 50a to 30a adapter, then a 30a to 20/15a adapter many times. You can easily run the refrigerator, lights, etc. You CANNOT run an ac/heat pump. You may be able to run the microwave..

Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure you use the shortest extension cord you can rated for 15 amps. If you don't you will melt cords and plugs and possibly start a fire.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use an extension cord with 12 AWG or 10 AWG. Most extension cords for the yard are 14 AWG and are not really suitable for this type operation. The higher the number the smaller the overall wire diameter.

I run off of 110v all the time when in storage just to keep the converter running. I use a 110 to 30, and a 30 to 50 "dog bone" adapters. Before having 50 amp installed in the driveway I could operate the refrigerator and lights. When I had a 5th wheel with two roof air conditioners, I could run one air conditioner and refrigerator. Turning anything else on would blow my 20 amp circuit breaker in the house. With the basement air conditioner in the MH, before I had 50 amp, I could run the AC in the EMS 20 Amp mode but nothing else.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
TEDDE.....I do the same thing at home. I only have 20 amp service where I park the coach. It works well for keeping the batteries charged and running the refer before a trip. If we come home and its hot, we'll run the A/C while unloading. I've never had a need for more power while at home.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot will depend on what else is on the circuit. For example, at my house I plugged into a 15 amp circuit in my garage, the breaker would trip a lot of times because there were others things plugged into the same circuit. I put a dedicated 15 amp circuit in and had no further problems. I finally put a 50 amp circuit in that I use strictly for the MH because we need to run the AC on really hot days.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
This extension cord will safely carry 15 AMPS to your RV.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Extension-Cord-EC504930/dp/B000TRNMMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303701223&sr=8-1

I leave my coach plugged into a 15 AMP circuit all the time to keep the batteries charged. I can also use the lights and the TV/DVD if I want. It works fine for the Fridge the day before we leave for a trip. If I turn everything off I can test one AC unit at a time but I only do that in the spring to checkout after winter storage. And then just long enough to insure they cool.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed a Progressive surge protector with line monitors while checking it in the shop yesterday with a big 15 amp extension cord through the various adapters, line one had no amperage while line two had 6 amps after first plugged in which was from the refrigerator and battery charger, when I check a few hours later after the charger and frig leveled off it showed a grand amperage total of 1 amp!
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #9

My thanks to all who commented about 15 amp power. We did the same as you do at home when we had a 30 amp gasser. Now with the 50 amp pusher I was not quite sure. We always bring the coach home a few days in advance for cleaning and packing and stocking up the fridge. We live in Canada where we plug our cars in, in the winter so I already have a 15 amp extension cord to the front of he house. I will check to see the wire size though. My car block heaters won't take as much power as a motorhome.
I will now bring her home and start to get ready for the rv season, now that the snow has finally melted..LOL

Thx to all

Ted
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 15-50 amp adapters (Allow you to plug a 50 amp rig into a 15 amp outlet) however they can be hard to find.. There is also a 15-30 and no problem double adapting.

HOWEVER, do be aware that by code, any outdoor outlet has to be GFCI protected (Unless grandfathered that is) and many RV's do not get along well with GFCI's due to the presence of both 12 and 120 volt systems.

Just so you know, a lot depends on your converter, and if you have one your inverter. Also, beyond battery charging not much you can do.

MY rig, has a "plug in" converter, I can "Split" it off (unplug) and run JUST IT on a 15 amp line, and yes, I had to build an adapter to do even that.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It might be better to just install a 50 Amp circuit to plug into. With some help from an electrician friend I installed one at my house for less than $200. That included the wiring (45'), circuit breaker and plug.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #12

Converting down from what the Motorhome is built for is risky business.

If you do use a down converter adapter, review first what you "must" run
and ensure that the current draw will be at least 15% under that which
the adapter is for.

I have seen 30 amp converter connectors burnt due to the motorhome
attempting to draw more than it could supply. Some will say that the
fuse or breaker on the circuit will trip first - not true in all circumstances and the risk of fire is well worth pre-planning.

I have even seen 30 amp to 50 amp converter connectors available in
the market place.........so you can plug your 30 amp motorhome into
a 50 amp connector...yeah right.

Safety above all else.
Las Vegas Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info..I only want to be able to run the fridge and a few interior lights to see what we are doing/packing. Posssibly a TV to keep the kids occupied. We will not run the ac or the microwave. Running a 50 amp service is not a good option for me. Not even a 30 amp is an option.

Thanks to all

Ted
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #14

Magnum system enables you to change the max shore setting to coordinate with the circuit breaker rating from the incoming AC source.When I connect to 15A house power or my small 2000w generator, I reduce the settings on my Magnum remote control pad to 10 or 15A by pressing the "shore" button and turning the dial. This instructs the Magnum to reduce the load to the charging system so that it does not pop a breaker. Otherwise, the Magnum will default to 50A and attempt to charge the batteries as if you are hooked up to 50amps.