Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #1

Smile 50 gallon Propane Tank Removed & replaced with 5 gallon portable tanks

2000 Monaco Diplomat 38D. The factory standard 50 gallon propane tank was leaking very very slowly when I purchased the Motor home 3 years ago. When the quote came in to repair it we decided to extract it ourselves. Our propane usage is now only the 3 burner gas cook stove. No gas furnace or gas water heater or dual power fridge, they are all electric now. The huge space left from removing the 50 gallon tank (and all of the connections to places no longer needed) was irresistible! I put a 3/4 inch thick plywood floor in the bay and used the LP on/off switch for an LED light for the bay. We installed a standard 5 gallon hand twist LP connector (with regulator) to the main line servicing the cook top stove ! We no longer have to wait on a propane service tech to come out and fill out tank. The 5 gallon bottles are available anywhere! The bay can hold 5 bottles easily! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT THE PICTURE? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201106_105701.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	307077  
miloketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #2

Sure is a lot of space in there.

You going to anchor those bottles somehow, and are there some vent holes to the outside?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201106_105701.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	307078  
Old 11-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

YES....those propane cylinders MUST be HELD vertically in transit and when in use.
Install the standard dual propane cylinder rack
Example: Simple and secure

https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-King-KT2.../dp/B00IZCNOVC

AND bottom floor Ventilation required....just like your Tank was exposed so should the cylinders be
Simple air vent installed would suffice. Like those used to vent battery cases in 5vr front compartments

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...3300BK-05.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

The addition of a slide out tray would be nice.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Great Idea!

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

That should have been a ASME tank meaning extremely robust in its design. What caused the leak if i may...A protected tank losing its integrity?
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyezOpen View Post
That should have been a ASME tank meaning extremely robust in its design. What caused the leak if i may...A protected tank losing its integrity?
^^X2. Hate to speculate, but given that someone gave a quote for repairing the leak, I would have to believe it was from a threaded connection to the tank, not the tank itself. Scuttling the ASME tank would normally be a distant last option IMHO.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
^^X2. Hate to speculate, but given that someone gave a quote for repairing the leak, I would have to believe it was from a threaded connection to the tank, not the tank itself. Scuttling the ASME tank would normally be a distant last option IMHO.
Don't see why it would be a last resort.

No need to lug around a 50 gallon, heavy steel, tank to just run a stovetop.

If the portable cylinder get old, just swap it out at an exchange place.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #9

An original Milk Crate sized for 4 gallon jugs will perfectly hold & stabilize a propane tank. Multiple linked together would be quite stable.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had considered to something similar but for me to get the tank out I would need to move the fuel tank. Bought our coach six years ago with 27 gallons of propane in the tank. It still has 27 gallons in it today 😳 The two burner cooktop is the only thing that uses gas and obviously it does not get much use.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If not using gas for your water heater what do you use when not on shore power?

I know you can use the genny but we camp at locations that don’t allow use at times.

We removed our furnace and frig I have been looking to upgrade the cooktop to induction so all that would be left is the hot water heater.

Wonder how long the 5gal tank will run the water heater.

Also wonder about the cooktop when boondocking.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When boondocking our heat and hot water run off diesel.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Sure is a lot of space in there.

You going to anchor those bottles somehow, and are there some vent holes to the outside?
Thanks for adjusting the picture! There is plenty of ventilation now but I like the prefab vents, think I'll add one. Finding matching milk cartons to contain and protect the cylinders is my next project.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
If not using gas for your water heater what do you use when not on shore power?

I know you can use the genny but we camp at locations that don’t allow use at times.

We removed our furnace and frig I have been looking to upgrade the cooktop to induction so all that would be left is the hot water heater.

Wonder how long the 5gal tank will run the water heater.

Also wonder about the cooktop when boondocking.
We think a bit ahead of our hot water needs and run the Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel generator. It's noise level is below National Park noise standards. The water stays hot for a long time, just needs an occasional boost.

Tags
ace, propane, replace, tank