Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #1

50 to 30 to 20

I know I can not run much on 20 amps. But I have access to 20 amps and 30 amps... However in order for me to use 30 amps I have to drag out that huge cord and run across the driveway. With 20 I don't have to do that.

Is is OK to just have 20 amp plugged in?

Thanks Lee
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #2

Lee, That will do just fine, however you shouldn't try and run anything such as your air conditioner. It will keep your battery charged and you could use minor appliances. If you try too much, you will kick your breaker. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

Yes and I will not try and use much.. I promise I will keep an eye on the water levels also...

I just want to make sure it does not hurt the inverter or anything...Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You should try to make sure it is a dedicated 20AMP, or, not run anthing else on the same 20AMP line.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I just want to make sure it does not hurt the inverter or anything...Thanks
It shouldn't hurt anything in the rig, as long as the extension cord is heavy enough and you don't have a lot of voltage drop. Don't skimp on the cord, and don't use a long thin one. I keep my rig plugged in all the time with a 20 amp cord, but it's 50 feet of heavier 12 gauge wire. I have some 100 foot thin 16 gauge cords, and I wouldn't use one of those.

Once you get it hooked up, turn on some lighter loads like a bunch of lights, TV, refrigerator, converter/charger, etc. (but not air conditioners, water heaters, microwave, or other heavy loads) and measure the voltage in the rig. As long as you're up around 110 volts or better I would think you should have no troubles. If it dips down lower than that, I would use a heavier cord. If it starts approaching 105 volts or less, give up and use the 30 amp cord.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I use a 12ga 100 foot cord pluged into a 20 amp breaker. I also use an auto-transformer in the MH to overcome the voltage drop of the long cord. I run the fridge and one cube heater (in the winter) or one AC (in the sumer), and maintain the batteries. If I were to replace the cord or was buying for the first time I would go with 10ga. I also replaced the end of the cord with a box and the correct receptical so as to avoid any volyage drop added by multiple adapter connections.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #7

When I park outside my sister's house in Texas in the summer and can only get 20 amps and I need AC I find by cranking the temp way down so the AC does not cycle then I can do it as long as my wife does not plug in the hair curler or turn on the microwave. I am going to buy this adapter box which divideds the 50 amp up into to 20 amp plugs then you can run two heavy duty extension cords to two different outlets on two different breakers. The box cost $70 but I think it is worth it. I have found that Lowes have the best heavy duty industrial extension cords. They are orange and have a little neon light in the end so you know the cord has power through it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

Thanks I only have to use a 25ft cord and it is a #12.......
Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I store our unit inside at a storage unit when we are home. I have it plugged into a 20 amp plug. I run the frig, converter and whatever else is always on with no problem.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote