Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #15

If this is directed at me, I have a Sony sound system that is dead in the overhead by the TV processor and a Kenwood stereo in the dash that is not yet connected to anything TV related. Doable to patch TV to the dash but would rather fix the installed surround system given it is all there so to speak.

I believe there is another thread on options to replace the 4 ohm sound system, As to not hijack this thread with it.

Thanks for asking though! Ideas and how to's shared here are very helpful and appreciated.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Can’t you use your Bose sound system for your tv sound?
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Windecker, you're right about the new TV speakers. The ones in this new Samsung TV are okay, but not as good as the old Sharp TV speakers. The big problem is when the AC is running. Like Paul says, I plan on using the Bose Lifestyle system. I routed an optical audio cable back into the video cabinet and connected it to the Bose amplifier. The new Samsung TV has a unifying remote that turns on the sound system when you turn the TV on, so it works pretty seamless.

I had issues with the Sony DAV-DZ120 home theater system that came in my Executive. I bought a used, but slightly newer, Sony BDV-E3100 home theater with Blu-ray on eBay ($120) and substituted that into the Exec sound system. I kept the same Sony speakers. That gave me Blu-Ray and Bluetooth with excellent sound. That system sounded great and also came on when you turned the TV on.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
If this is directed at me, I have a Sony sound system that is dead in the overhead by the TV processor and a Kenwood stereo in the dash that is not yet connected to anything TV related. Doable to patch TV to the dash but would rather fix the installed surround system given it is all there so to speak.

I believe there is another thread on options to replace the 4 ohm sound system, As to not hijack this thread with it.

Thanks for asking though! Ideas and how to's shared here are very helpful and appreciated.

Windecker

On my tv it has a audio out jack, so I just connected it to my Bose AV35 audio in jack.
I just turned the tv sound down and use the stereo system for sale throughout the coach
Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #18

Very cool upgrade! If you ever decide that you would rather have a metal adapter, let me know. If you send me the dimensions I can cut it out on my CNC table and powder coat it here. The new tv doesn’t weigh much so I’m sure the wood will be fine [emoji106] I have a Samsung smart TV in mine, it was installed by the previous owner. I still need to hook it up to the Bose system though.
djgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
On my tv it has a audio out jack, so I just connected it to my Bose AV35 audio in jack.
I just turned the tv sound down and use the stereo system for sale throughout the coach
You will have better quality sound using the digital optical audio out port on the TV connected to the digital audio in port on the Bose Lifestyle. This will require a 10' optical digital audio cable.

Wow Dan, thanks for the offer. We use lots of CNC parts on the race cars. In this TV install I actually needed the 23/32" thickness of the plywood along with the dampening effect of a wooden mount.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The Bose Lifestyle AV38 sounds pretty good and the hard drive that stores music is a nice feature. It doesn't have bluetooth, unfortunately.

Mine quit and I had to send it to Bose for repair last year.

I considered replacing it but the digital signal wire runs from beside the TV to the subwoofer under the galley sink and all of the speaker wires go from under the sink to the individual speakers.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
TV upgrade for a fixed TV mount

I thought I'd post a TV upgrade for a fixed TV mount also. This was a 2007 Executive that originally came with a 32" Sharp TV installed in the front dash over the windshield. When we purchased it, a professional RV shop had installed a new LG TV in it (I think 42"). Notice how the LG TV sits several inches below the ceiling and just doesn't fit well.

I removed the LG TV and built a new mount out of 3/4" oak plywood with 1/2" plywood spacers. I tried to place the TV as high up as possible and moved each of the overhead cabinet doors over slightly so we could fit a 50" Samsung 4k TV. I added a piece of 3" wide flat black wood trim behind each side of the new 50" TV where it overlapped the cabinet. This retains full use of each overhead cabinet. The 50" Samsung fits very nicely and doesn't hang as low as the original Sharp. Not in the picture, but I found some black foam corner protectors on Amazon that do a good job preventing head bangs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original LG TV Mounted.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	179336   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Mount.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	179337  

Name:	TV Mounted.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	179338  
Old 10-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Paul, yes the TV sits about 3/8" above the lift frame and has about a 1 1/4" space on each side.

Capt, yes it connects to Wi-Fi and also my phone. In fact, when I first turned it on it wanted to connect to my Samsung phone for easier setup.
I tried last year to connect NFL mobile from my Verizon phone to my TV and Verizon/NFL blocks it. I do get the NFL channel on my Dish receiver,

Ended up with a 40 inch Samsung HD Smart TV upgrade in the front that barely fit the cabinet and a 24 in Insignia HD Smart TV in the back Cabinet. Combined the 2 with a WiFi system connecting the two front and rear.
Able to stream from phone or wireless network from house so far.
Crank up Batwing antenna gave me some local channels
Quite impressive to have a few options and no Satellite!
Thanks Vito and Hypoxia!
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #23

Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I thought I'd post a TV upgrade for a fixed TV mount also. This was a 2007 Executive that originally came with a 32" Sharp TV installed in the front dash over the windshield. When we purchased it, a professional RV shop had installed a new LG TV in it (I think 42"). Notice how the LG TV sits several inches below the ceiling and just doesn't fit well.

I removed the LG TV and built a new mount out of 3/4" oak plywood with 1/2" plywood spacers. I tried to place the TV as high up as possible and moved each of the overhead cabinet doors over slightly so we could fit a 50" Samsung 4k TV. I added a piece of 3" wide flat black wood trim behind each side of the new 50" TV where it overlapped the cabinet. This retains full use of each overhead cabinet. The 50" Samsung fits very nicely and doesn't hang as low as the original Sharp. Not in the picture, but I found some black foam corner protectors on Amazon that do a good job preventing head bangs.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
50" TV install in overhead lift- Signature, Executive, Dynasty, and Navigator

Based on Vito's great inspiration I was at Costco looking at the 50" Samsung. Opposite it was a 49" TCL 4K with Roku built in. We have the same TV in 55" at home and it is a great TV, so I bought the TCL 49".

When I took out the Sharp 37" and tried the TCL, the width was perfect. Less than 1/4" on each side. I needed to cut away about 3" of the top of the frame to fit it in flush. It would not overlap like Vito's did due to the shape of the back of the TV

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	180213

The other mod I made was to cut away some of the plastic rear spacers to clear a bulge on the bottom of the TV. I cut them in place but realized later they are just held on with two screws in the backs so I could have removed them and then cut them.

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	180214

The TCL has a 200x200 VESA mount, so I was able to just drill new holes in the existing mount. The depth was perfect. No spacers were required and the front of the TV is flush with the frame.

I pulled 3 HDMI, a coax, an optical cable, an Ethernet cable, a USB extender cable, and a red/white/yellow RCA cable through to the cabinet where the directTV receiver and Bose are located. I tried 10' cables, but they were too short. I ended up getting 15' cables which worked great. I also had to get a longer 10' power cable.

I tried a headphone cable to run to my dash head unit, but it cut out the internal speakers and had a bad ground loop hum. I may try an isolating headphone cable another time.

The Bose AV38 I have is unimpressive. No HDMI. Composite video and S-Video is all, and the TV does not have S-Video so composite only. I'll likely only use it for the setup menu on the Bose. It'll do for now, but I will find a way to replace it. The challenge is that the speakers are terminated under the cooktop in the passenger slide where the subwoofer unit is. Running cables will be a chore.

I was watching Amazon Prime 4K video streaming from my Mobley as well as DirecTV via HDMI. In both cases audio is fed from the TV to the Bose using the optical cable.

Couldn't be happier!

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
The Bose AV38 I have is unimpressive. No HDMI. Composite video and S-Video is all, and the TV does not have S-Video so composite only. I'll likely only use it for the setup menu on the Bose. It'll do for now, but I will find a way to replace it. The challenge is that the speakers are terminated under the cooktop in the passenger slide where the subwoofer unit is. Running cables will be a chore.
Nice job on the install.

The AV38 has one feature I like which is the hard drive to store music on, I would rather have bluetooth though. I use the digital audio cables for sound and ran the HDMI cables from DirecTV and DVD to the TV. The sound is good but not spectacular.

Replacing it would be a chore. I sent mine back to Bose when it quit as that was easier than running wires. The subwoofer is mounted like yours under the sink, re-wiring would probably be a 40' run.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I was not aware of the hard drive in the AV38. I stream all my music. If no internet, then I still have the music channels on DIRECTV.

That would be quite a cable run, especially as it needs to end up in the slide.
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=pwhittle;3857168]I was not aware of the hard drive in the AV38./QUOTE]
https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/p...8_series1.html
Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, that's great Paul. Interesting, I ended up with 10' cables and you used 15'.

I ordered an S Video to HDMI adapter on eBay and I'm using it to connect the Bose to the TV. It should be better quality than the RCA cables but i haven't tried it yet.

My Bose is a Lifestyle 35 system. Is there a newer Bose receiver-amplifier we can get that has HDMI and Blu-Ray, but will still connect to our speaker system?

Tags
install