Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #1

50A Cord reel re-orientation

The power cord on our 2008 Monaco Knight 40DFT is manual crank and faces to the right in the compartment. Unwinds clockwise, and winds counter-clockwise. This might not be so bad, except that the power transfer switch case is about 3" away from the reel. Which makes getting the power cord on the back 2/3 of the reel a complete knuckle buster. I wonder, has anyone found a way to re-install the reel so that it is facing outward? I recognize that this would then create a challenge for getting it to wind and unwind through the hole with the rollers that is at the rear of the compartment, so that's a secondary problem that would have to be resolved. It's a small problem until I am on my knees wrestling with the apparatus... Any and all suggestions other than "buy a different RV" will be appreciated.
pflightnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Take it out and replace with a power reel. I have only had the power reel and can’t think of not having one.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 AM   #3

Some pics would help. Can you shorten handle or move knob closer to center if that's how it works or if that's why your hitting your knuckles.
You may also be able to make a pusher rod think of how a piston drives a crank shaft. It could be a broom stick with a handlebar grip and loop to fit over reels handle.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #4

same coach same cord reel Never found it to be a problem winding in the cord.
once in a while the cord may overlap and get stuck just unwind a little and reposition the cable
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

This is what I'm up against... the box interferes with more than half the reel depth
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210510_142104.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	327871
pflightnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Looks to me like you could move the transfer switch. Would need to see more of the bay to be sure.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

If I understand your problem the reel and xfer switch overlap each other. If that is the case just unbolt the mount for the reel and move it towards the outside so it doesn’t overlap and remount it. On mine like that I hold a rag around the cord as I reel it in and guide it so it rolls on even with no problem.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
klcdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #8

I picture is worth a thousands words. No reason you cant put reel askew ,might have to shorten crank a bit more drill a couple holes . Or agree to move ATS or both. I didn't know they made hatches with rollers all the way around , I'm pretty sure I looked my reel hatch needs to be moved and its broke. I need one of those fo sho.!
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:55 AM   #9
YC1

Looks like a simple move to me. Move to the right and bring it forward so the cord drops more vertically out.

My reel (electric) but looks identical without the crank handle was mounted in the opposite direction so the cord came off the bottom. A real dumb install because the cord always had drag on it.

Reversing it so the cord drops off the top really helped and while I was at it I changed the power switch so it will reel and unreel with power. Just something to make things a bit easier.

It is easy to see your reel appears to be misaligned with the center of the hole.

Remove the four bolts/screws and experiment with it a bit.

Nice to know one could probably add their own crank if the motor portion quit.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote