RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #1

50amp surge protector

I need to replace the plug on my cord. I have a 50 amp surge protector that I purchased at Camping world. I was wondering if anyone has taken the screws out of the surge protector and wired it directly to the cable?
Mit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #2

Depending on the model, yes you can

Most are secured by set bolts, not pressed or soldered
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see any reason that wouldn't work fine as long as you can get into the protector and there is space for doing the wiring.

Only problem I see is if the protector went belly-up and wasn't passing AC voltage. Then you would be dead in the water with no way to get power to the RV!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #4

Before you go to that extent, just what kind of protector did you buy? If it only protects against surges and warns you of mis-wired or faulty power inputs, but does not cut power to the RV for low power situations, I would advise upgrading to a different type before a permanent install.

A true EMS (Electrical Management System) protector is recommended for RVs because most damage comes from low voltages, maybe on only one line, not surges. These devices detect faults in the pedestal but do not allow power to pass to the RV unless the fault is removed. Then, they continually monitor the power input and if a problem appears later, they shut down power to the RV for protection. Power to the RV is restored when the source power is, once again, safe.

Less expensive protectors only use LEDs to indicate proper wiring and some to indicate low voltage, but they continue to allow power to the RV regardless of its safety.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote