Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

6 New Tires, 8 New Shocks, Still a rear Tire bounce.....Please Help!

Hey Guys,
I had the dreaded tire bounce that makes everything in the RV shake when going down the road. I First Changed out the Front Tires, then put on the Centrimatics up Front, Then Changed out the back tires(when I realized the bounce was in my seat and not the steering wheel) The tires helped a small amount but it was still noticeable. I just recently changed out all 8 shocks with Source's Bilsteins and it is much better but definitely still there. The front has a small bounce when turning the wheel around corners on the highway but is very steady most of the time, the bounce from the back is pretty consistent. What is the next step? Thanks for any help you can offer!

2000 Monaco Dip.
Front Tires at 100-105 PSI
Back Tires at 95-100PSI
(I have tried both)
Jfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Install Centramatics on the rear as well I put them on all three axles on my coach and it really smoothed it out. I had a shake at 65 and it cured it.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
Install Centramatics on the rear as well I put them on all three axles on my coach and it really smoothed it out. I had a shake at 65 and it cured it.
Hey Randy,
Thanks, I'll try that! Are they installed per axel(obviously 1 per side)? But with the tandem tires in the rear would they install 1 per side still or 1 per tire?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #4

Check for a bent wheel.
moparglley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Find a good tire shop that has a spin balancer, and spin each tire and wheel, till you find the problem! Tires can be out of round from the factory, not mounted properly, you may have a bent rim, many possibilities! A good tire shop will find the problem! Rail!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Find a good tire shop that has a spin balancer, and spin each tire and wheel, till you find the problem! Tires can be out of round from the factory, not mounted properly, you may have a bent rim, many possibilities! A good tire shop will find the problem! Rail!
I had them spin balanced when they were put on about 1000 Miles ago but a reputably tire shop in Elkhart. Will it be better to have them spin balanced or have Centramatics put on?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
ANY type of balancing product will NEVER fix a tire that was made out-of-round.

Check for that FIRST.

Same for a damaged wheel.

Once you are positive that the wheels AND tires are "true" then it is your personal preference as to what type of balancing product you want to use.

The centramatics or ceramic balancing beads are both excellent as they will continuously balance the tire regardless of the situation and for the life of the tire. Whereas spin balancing only balances the tire at that given point in time when it was first installed.

I have used Innovative Balancing Ceramic Beads in my six tires since 2010 with excellent results.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It could be a bushing problem.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There is just one balancing ring that goes in between the duals for balancing the rear axles.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
It could be a bushing problem.
Can you please explain. Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trailing arm bushings and possible the drive shaft could have worn parts or need grease.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfreeman View Post
I had them spin balanced when they were put on about 1000 Miles ago but a reputably tire shop in Elkhart. Will it be better to have them spin balanced or have Centramatics put on?
Did you watch them when they spun them, how much weight did they take to balance? Did you ask them to check for "out of round" or a bent rim? Most shops will do just the bare min. to get you out the door and down the road!
I always watched them, and told them a max amount of weight to get to balance!
I also ran centramatic's and had the tires and wheels spin balanced, so you could see if out of round, or had a bent rim! And also wanted to know how much weight the tire and wheel took to get balanced!
Anything over 5 or 6 ounces of weight, and i told them to get another tire!
I guess i was not specific enough in my first post, sorry, but the best way to check now would be jack the rear of the MH up with the front wheels chocked good, and put it in gear, and go up to speed, and see where the shake is coming from! I am betting you have a "out of round" tire!
It is a crap shoot when you buy new tires, and more than you think, are out of round!
Let us know what you find out! Rail!

PS, just so you know, i have 35+ years driving OTR and OO exp. and have bought many, many tires in my life, and it is money well spent, to get the right tires the first time! Once you are out the door, you are on your own!
The tire Co's, tire shops, all blame your Truck, MH, Car, as the problem, period! Sometimes that is the case, but when you take them a smooth riding, driving truck, MH, Car, and get new tires put on it, and all of a sudden, Wow, you have a shake, bounce, out of balance thing, it is your equiptment's fault, not the tire's they just sold you! This is why, i watch them very closely, when they mount, balance, and install!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Did you watch them when they spun them, how much weight did they take to balance? Did you ask them to check for "out of round" or a bent rim? Most shops will do just the bare min. to get you out the door and down the road!
I always watched them, and told them a max amount of weight to get to balance!
I also ran centramatic's and had the tires and wheels spin balanced, so you could see if out of round, or had a bent rim! And also wanted to know how much weight the tire and wheel took to get balanced!
Anything over 5 or 6 ounces of weight, and i told them to get another tire!
I guess i was not specific enough in my first post, sorry, but the best way to check now would be jack the rear of the MH up with the front wheels chocked good, and put it in gear, and go up to speed, and see where the shake is coming from! I am betting you have a "out of round" tire!
It is a crap shoot when you buy new tires, and more than you think, are out of round!
Let us know what you find out! Rail!

PS, just so you know, i have 35+ years driving OTR and OO exp. and have bought many, many tires in my life, and it is money well spent, to get the right tires the first time! Once you are out the door, you are on your own!
The tire Co's, tire shops, all blame your Truck, MH, Car, as the problem, period! Sometimes that is the case, but when you take them a smooth riding, driving truck, MH, Car, and get new tires put on it, and all of a sudden, Wow, you have a shake, bounce, out of balance thing, it is your equiptment's fault, not the tire's they just sold you! This is why, i watch them very closely, when they mount, balance, and install!
Thanks Guardrail,
I think I'll take it to a local tire shop and have them check the wheels and rims for out of balance and at the same time have them put centramatics on. I was told that if you put centramatics on they were suppose to be the only type of balancing device you could have on. So no weights and no beads. Does that sound right?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I asked the people at Centramatics if I should have the weights removed when I installed the balancers and they said no, leave them on.

Tags
shocks, tires