Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

7 prong trailer plug wiring question.

Getting ready to go on vacation to Northern Cal to get away from the 120 heat here. I was checking the lights on my tow dolly & Ford Edge. I found running & turn signals working fine. I have stops on left side but not right.
As my Monaco has separate turns & brakes I know the trailer plug needs to be wired with a 4 to 3 wire adaptor.
My question is where is the adaptor. I have wired in quite a few of these & always did it at the rear of the vehicle. I've looked and sure don't see any thing but the loom coming out of the plug. Loom then goes to the left side of engine up and disappears.

I have a adaptor and would be easy to replace the bad one if I could just figure out where it is.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Hope your NorCal trip is in a few weeks, 107 today going up to 111 by mid week, then 104 by Saturday, next week high 90's.

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

I'm confused by your question. An adaptor should just plug into the 7 pin round plug and whatever you're adapting too would plug into the adaptor.
Hartman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #4

Mike-

On many coaches the turn signal switch supplies combined and uncombined stop/turn signals- such that a separate 3-to-2 "adapter" is not required for the signals to the trailer hitch.

Below find a wiring diagram drawn from a set for a 2007 Signature. It does not have an adapter.

Your coach... well it may. If there was one, I'd expect it to be within five feet of the hitch connector. The fact that one side works and not the other indicates to me that there's no adapter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _2007 Monaco Signature Wiring Diagrams p4.pdf (75.0 KB, 149 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree you need to find the 4-wire to 3-wire Module/Converter. For other folks, the coach has separate stop and turn lights whereas most trailers/tow dollies have combination stop/turn lights, as well as many cars. Thus they need a 4-wire to 3-wire Module/Converter. Curt makes one and there are others as well.

Getting back to the original question, I don't think Monaco was installing modules/converters back in 2002, or even 7-way sockets. Check your build sheet. So I suspect this was an aftermarket installation, in which case the module could be anywhere. So think like an aftermarket installer - where would the easiest location to install it. Usually in the rear someplace, but also could be up front.

I have a 2004 Knight and had to install my own 7-way socket and module, including running a trailer brake wire all the way from the front to the rear. PITA!

Gene M
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman2112 View Post
I'm confused by your question. An adaptor should just plug into the 7 pin round plug and whatever you're adapting too would plug into the adaptor.
When you wire in a trailer plug from a vehicle that has separate turn & stop lights you have to wire in one of these.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...id=20131171819

Doesn't have to be this one I only posted to show you that there are more wires from the tow vehicle then to the pulled vehicle. The black box takes the separate turn & stop lights from the tow vehicle & converts to turns & stops on the same wire.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Mike-

On many coaches the turn signal switch supplies combined and uncombined stop/turn signals- such that a separate 3-to-2 "adapter" is not required for the signals to the trailer hitch.

Below find a wiring diagram drawn from a set for a 2007 Signature. It does not have an adapter.

Your coach... well it may. If there was one, I'd expect it to be within five feet of the hitch connector. The fact that one side works and not the other indicates to me that there's no adapter.
Mark
Because the left does work that's telling me there is a adaptor. If no adaptor my tow dolly would have either turns or stops on the left side but not both.
The yellow wire to the left side is being supplied 12V with brakes applied. Green wire for right side isn't.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Getting ready to go on vacation to Northern Cal to get away from the 120 heat here. I was checking the lights on my tow dolly & Ford Edge. I found running & turn signals working fine. I have stops on left side but not right.

As my Monaco has separate turns & brakes I know the trailer plug needs to be wired with a 4 to 3 wire adaptor.

My question is where is the adaptor. I have wired in quite a few of these & always did it at the rear of the vehicle. I've looked and sure don't see any thing but the loom coming out of the plug. Loom then goes to the left side of engine up and disappears.

I have a adaptor and would be easy to replace the bad one if I could just figure out where it is.

In the triple digits all week, maybe 99 on Saturday. You need to go to the coast. [emoji51]
Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

I have had many problems with my 7 blade male to female connection - usually one side not working but sometimes both. I have a simple tester with a clamp on a wire on one end, a bulb in the middle, and a point on the other. I have confirmed each time that I have a signal but noting is coming out of the other end of the cable (7 pin blade on one end, 6 pin round on the Toad end).

Often have to bend the blades, scrape some corrosion, and re-try. On my coach (same chassis) there is a connection at the bottom middle of the engine cover attached to the frame member with a flat connecter that is wired to the coach on one side and goes to the 7 blade on the other. Pretty sure it is factory and don't really understand why they did it instead of just wiring to the 7 blade female under the coach.

Since I am sick of the problems with the connections I've ordered one of these: http://ezconnector.com/
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

Found it. Caked in inches or dirt, oil & road grime about 2 feet away from the rear of the 7 pin trailer plug up above the hitch. Here is the one it has.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Hope your NorCal trip is in a few weeks, 107 today going up to 111 by mid week, then 104 by Saturday, next week high 90's.

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
That's kinda chilly. We had 119 yesterday and expect 120 today in Phx
Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #12

Was 122 yesterday where I work in Thermal. Only got to 117 where I live so once the sun went down my son & I wired in a new wiring convertor. It isn't as heavy duty as what was there but just needs to get me by for my vacation.

Tags
trailer, wiring