Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Every RV with an Onan I have owned has had this issue. I run a fused wire on a switch right next to the start switch. Every time I start the generator I flip a lighted switch next to it to power the fuel pump. Saves a bunch of problems.

I use generators every weekend while racing. I cannot have it shut down, period. I have nearly 10k hours on the last one without an issue.

I found the problem by running a light bulb to the dash that stayed on while the generator board powered the fuel pump. Amazing it would start to flicker quite often, which meant power was not consistent. Finally the light went out and it started to shut down. After that I simply put a switch on it and gave it 12 volts constant power, end of issue.

Every Onan has board problems, just a matter of time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #16

Thanks Don, knowing the boards give trouble is good to know. My generator has only got about 800 hours but when I'm skiing I have the gen on 5 hours a day and I need it to keep the batteries up. As long as the generator is running I know I can get the Cummins going. The gen starts really good in the cold.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Anyone know where the fuel pump for the gen. is located ? Is it on the gen or in the fuel tank?
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
Anyone know where the fuel pump for the gen. is located ? Is it on the gen or in the fuel tank?
It being a generator, they are built to be self contained. They are installed in many different applacations.

There would be no in tank fuel pump.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #19

Doug

There is a little door on the driver side bottom of the gen .
Door has a latch and will swing down , mine doesn't come down far
enough for me so I remove 2 screws and drop the whole door for
better access .
If you can get under you can reach inside , use a flash light and get
someone to push down on the gen sw
I'm pretty sure you can feel the elect fuel pump pulsing .
I haven't replaced mine but I think I saw it inside where the fuel line enters
the back corner , drivers side

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Doug

There is a little door on the driver side bottom of the gen .
Door has a latch and will swing down , mine doesn't come down far
enough for me so I remove 2 screws and drop the whole door for
better access .
If you can get under you can reach inside , use a flash light and get
someone to push down on the gen sw
I'm pretty sure you can feel the elect fuel pump pulsing .
I haven't replaced mine but I think I saw it inside where the fuel line enters
the back corner , drivers side

Ray
Thanks Ray; I know the door you are talking about, I had it off this past summer. That door is a bit of a pain putting back on properly but what the heck practice makes it easier.....
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This may not be anything close to your issue, but I thought I'd share it. I'm also running gas, so that may make a difference. My generator was running rough. It would surge up then down often/a lot. One day, I was having trouble starting it, and knowing that I HAD to have 1/2 a tank of fuel before it would run, I made sure that was not the problem. I looked at the side of the generator, and there was a manual air adjustment (a pretty large knob). I tweaked that one way or the other (I think I gave it MORE air), and voila, my generator started, and ran MUCH better! I turned it back, and same problem again, so I know it had an effect. I can't be more specific, because it's all closed up for winter...
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Airtex E11020 EXACT replacement for Onan 149-2790 or 149-2692 $60-70 or less at O”reillys or Ebay. I have pulled the Onan label off and seen the the Airtex number too!! $186 at Cummins L NEW NAPA # AFP E 11020 $70 Amazon as well...$40 yesterday I got a spare.
I just replaced mine yesterday third one in 3600 hours. I have done them for other folks with as little as 75 hours. Made in Mexico by $3 an hour workers so you get what you get. But they are easy to change on the 10k and 12.5s
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #23

Where do I find the card on my 7500 Onan. I think I should get a spare
Old 01-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #24

Thanks everyone for the help. I went under the gen to checkout the fuel pump and decided to checked the hoses and the intake one was loose so I'm sure that was the problem
Old 01-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #25

Turns out it was the fuel pump. It totally quit now. I hate these intermittent problems as it is so hard to trouble shoot. Taking mine out was a big job as Monaco had installed the gen
over a have inch plate so I had to do a lot off grinding to get at the bolts
Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #26

My generator still had issues and last weekend I took the fuel steel tubing off between the fuel pump and the filter and replaced it with a hose and the last few days the generator has been running perfectly. When I replaced the fuel pump I noticed the strain the fuel tubing put on the pump and I think it puts a strain on the fuel pump and stops the piston inside the pump to bind. I think that is what is burning out the pump. If I'm wrong I will post it and having the hose will make is easier to change the filter.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #27

7500 Onan generater

Had the similar problem. Turned out to be the fuel line cracking. I noticed that you have a gen set on a slide because you mentioned rollers. That means that you flex the fuel line every time you put the gen set in or out, you flex that line. Mine was cracked and admitted air, and I got the 36 code. Put the gen set out and inspect that line for wet spots. I replaced as much of that line that I could get to and it fixed the problem.

Dick L '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan