RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

80 gallons of water?

I filled my fresh water tank up full enough that water came back out the gravity fill hole and the gauge on the inside wall said full. Then took it to an area to wash it. I attached a hose with a nozzle so I wouldn't use water unless I needed it. About 3/4 thru washing the water pump was sucking air. No water. Inside gauge on wall said empty. I really doubt I used 80 gallons in the process. So the gauge had said full and the brochure says I have an 80 gallon fresh water tank. I can't believe I went thru 80 gallons washing it... maybe but I doubt it. It has always gone thru the water supply fast. Anything I should check?

AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Maybe I should fill it again and let it sit without using any water to see if it stays full. Maybe I have a leak in the tank.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you see your tank(s) I have two tanks that are connected but I think the gauge is only on the first. Maybe you have some sort of restriction between the two? Maybe you have to actually measure the amount of water you are putting in to be sure?
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

About all you can do is measure the flow of the hose your using to fill .
I.E. Get a 2 gal bucket and time filling from the hose ; this will give you a GPM on the hose flow , then time the filling of the tank from empty.
For example if your 2 gal bucket fills in 30 secs. That's 4 GPM .Then if your tank fills in 20 mins , your getting 80 gals into the tank.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

I have a water flow meter. It was cheap. Just put it in line with your hose and measure the water flow. I washed my 25' RV and it took 18 gal total, My 40' rigs obviously took more but NEVER 80Gal. I often washed my rig from the onboard fresh water tank.

Used my meter to check how much water I put into my tank. My tank takes slightly more than the rating.

Timing with a known quantity also works per the previous post but a bit less precise than the flow meter.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
I filled my fresh water tank up full enough that water came back out the gravity fill hole and the gauge on the inside wall said full. Then took it to an area to wash it. I attached a hose with a nozzle so I wouldn't use water unless I needed it. About 3/4 thru washing the water pump was sucking air. No water. Inside gauge on wall said empty. I really doubt I used 80 gallons in the process. So the gauge had said full and the brochure says I have an 80 gallon fresh water tank. I can't believe I went thru 80 gallons washing it... maybe but I doubt it. It has always gone thru the water supply fast. Anything I should check?
Rick,

I replaced the O.E.M. level sensing system with a SeeLevel system and I know they are correct. I can also see my fresh water tank if I lift an outside access panel. Here is the deal. When I fill my fresh water tank all the way to the top and then drive the coach, water gets siphoned out by the overflow drain. I have seen it go to about 60%.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you used a high pressure washer.. I would agree with you it is doubtful you used 80 gallons, those things sip water believe it or not.

If you used just a "Garden hose"... You very likely did.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

I agree with WA8YXM. (Greetings, fellow ham!) We installed RO in our coach, and we keep the fresh tank full of RO water. I use a "cheapie" pressure washer from Sears to wash our coach, and I always use the RO water. No spots, no streaks, just a clean coach. I use a telescoping handle wash brush and a bucket of soapy water. I lightly moisten an area, then brush it with the soapy water, and then rinse with the pressure washer RO. I've found that I can thoroughly clean the roof and the entire outside of the coach, and I usually use maybe 35 gallons for the entire job. It's awesome!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #9

I don't normally use my PW to wash my RV and I don't carry it, but I will do a test at home using my pressure washer vs the hose usage with my flow meter attached. I suspect the PW will use less water.

Of course one has to use common sense when using the PW on anything. Too close can be problematic. I have a 3000 PSI gas powered PW and it can do some real damage if too close. Would never carry this unit in the RV but it can be used as a paint stripper if that is the objective.

I too rinse the area I am about to wash, then take a soft brush using a bucket with cleaner in it and brush on and then just rinse off. If there are bugs to clean off I use wet "bounce" sheets. Works good for me.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

Thanks everybody. Great ideas. I will try to figure out if I have 2 tanks and maybe a blockage. If not I will calculate the amount I am putting in. Thanks again.

Tags
water