Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
‘95 C8.3 Boost?

took my Ď95 dynasty out for an exercise lap yesterday and it felt a little sluggish to me. all instruments indicated normal ops - rpm, temps and pressures - but i noticed boost max appeared to be 16 lbs ... i confess iíve driven it so little in the 20 months weíve owned it that i donít recall a previous max.

is 16 lbs in the proper max range or is it significantly off?

fwiw, I just installed a new fuel cutoff solenoid and it may need adjusting ... unsure if this would play a role in the discussion.

thx in advance for your feedback.

(originally posted in Cummins forum but since no response, may be better here.)
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Good morning Radacravitz; I have never had a boost problem on my 01 Windsor with the 8.3. At full throttle I get around 23+ boost. If you have a exhaust brake on your year of coach, when was the last time it was lubed. Also did you happen to use the exhaust brake and after that notice the low boost? I also lube the waste gate linkage on the turbo with the same lube I use on my exhaust brake. It is the Pac-Brake lube recommended by the brake mfg. All those parts can get rusty. This is just off the top of my head so who knows. Let us know what you find and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
thx very much for your suggestions, oilburner. i was wondering about the pacbrake lube issue - I havenít lubed either of those since bringing the coach home; i **meant** to do the pacbrake last year when i did chassis, u-joints, steps, etc ... but didnít get to it ... didnít know about the other but, frankly, should have been more curious.

itís raining again today but I can get to the waste gate linkage, pacbrake will wait until it dries a bit.

thx again, very much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

If you haven't already, replace the fuel filters. If it can't get fuel to the cylinders, it can't produce boost.

Bad filters are the #1 power robbing issues.

Over 2 years of limited use could have some growth blocking up the filters.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you haven't already, replace the fuel filters. If it can't get fuel to the cylinders, it can't produce boost.

Bad filters are the #1 power robbing issues.

Over 2 years of limited use could have some growth blocking up the filters.

thx, twinboat ... I had wondered about that but gave it a lowered risk since Iíve replenished & treated fuel (sea foam and Cummins recommended additives) as Iíve driven it / used gen) and itís hit ~ 1/2 tank.

given your comments Iíll put fuel filters back on the list.

any thought on the new fuel cutoff solenoid possible mis-adjusted being a potential cause?

thx again for your suggestions, very much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #6

It could be, but you can test that by tying it full open, right ?

With unknown filter hours, is change them anyway.

I bought a diesel boat in RI., 10 years ago. It came with all sorts of fuel additives that didn't help the plugged filters.
I bought a case of filters and headed to FL. Each filter change lasted longer. After a tank or two of fuel, it held 500 gallons, it was good for 500 hours between changes.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
geez, I hadnít thought of tying it full open ... please pass the dunce hat as Iím clearly a chucklehead.

gotcha wrt filters ... Iím thinking Cummins filters unless you have another to suggest.

thx again, Iíll go sit in the corner now ;-)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

I used Wix on my boat and job.
The job had 30+ diesel powered machines, never had a problem with Wix filters.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
ok, thx - same for oil / air filters, too, I assume. thx very much.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #10

If your solenoid isn't all the way you won't get full fuel and not full boost. It happen to
me when my solenoid quit and I had wired it open but had not pull the wire hard enough.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your maximum turbo boost on your C8.3 Cummins stock engine should be about 23 psi. Less than that you won't have much power.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
thx to each of you for your feedback:

boost is back @23 after changing fuel filter & fuel / water separator and lubing the pac brake. i did the work in a batch so didnít test each as the possible culprit / solution.

It runs like a champ again and tomorrow Iíll order a few of each filter to have on hand.

thx again for your help, very much appreciated.