Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
’95 Dynasty, Mechanical C8.3 Won’t Fire

spins like crazy but wonít fire. all indicators / gauges appear normal. batts charged & 3/4 tank of fuel. started right up / ran fine a week ago.

prioritized list of 3 things to check would be appreciated.

thx in advance.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

Power to the shutdown coil.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Power to the shutdown coil.
thx for the quick feedback, much appreciated!

(not a trick question ;-)

is the the shutdown coil the same as a fuel shutoff solenoid?

i've found a similar scenario with "shutoff solenoid" in a mid 90's foretravel post.

thx again.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
On the injection pump there is a solenoid that manually pulls the spring load shutoff lever to the run position. It's the size of your fist and they get weak assuming it's getting power. As someone else turns the key on you should see it try and move and you can help it move to the on position...engine will now start.

Not that expensive and easy to change: http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Fuel-Shut-Off-Solenoid-For-Ford-Cummins-Diesel-2-1-2-bolt-spacing-8-3L-5-9L/272886744342?hash=item3f89514516:g:WKoAAOSwIX1Z4VS s:rk:2f:0
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Check the wiring connections at the shutdown solenoid first. I found the ground wire loose during one episode.

You can tie up the fuel pump lever to get the rig to start by using a tie wrap or coat hanger. You will need to release the tie up to shut the engine off.

If you are buying a new solenoid, be careful to measure the distance between the mounting bolt holes and order one with that measurement specified.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
great feedback, guys, thx - i'll begin by checking the connections - and then take the manual adjustment approach, something the foretravel user did ... turns out his was stuck and just needed to be manually manipulated to get things going.

thx again to each for your feedback, very much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When was the last time you changed the fuel filters? Could be air in the fuel line, try pumping the manual fuel primer pump on the engine.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
the coach has been driven quite a bit since filters were last changed, but Iíll give the primer a try.

itís been raining catsínídogs for days - and will through tomorrow - so itíll be a few days before I return with results.

thx very much for the suggestions, folks.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Do you use any type of fuel treatment.

In the right conditions Algae can plug a filter pretty quick and once Algae is in the tank it's hard to get rid of.

Pull the primary fuel filter and check the top as you take it off, if you have an Algae problem you'll see it, a black slimy goo.

I use Biobor when I put my coach up when not planning to use, it kills Algae. I will also on an occasional basis use Startron, which is an enzyme which will break down the dead Algae.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #10

Since it ran last week and you shut it down normally, don't open the fuel system until you confirm the shut down solenoid is functioning first.

If that's working, then try priming the system. If that gets it started, then start looking over the fuel line connections and filters.
Needed to prime it indicates a slight leak in the suction side of the fuel lines, causing the fuel to drain back towards the tank, leaving only air in the lines.

If you have an un-diagnosed electrical issue, and open up the fuel system before checking that, you could be adding to the no start problem.

In 40 years of diesel repairs, I have never seen a sitting filter plug up enough to cause a no start situation.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
thx again to each of you for your feedback, I really do appreciate the level of detail provided.

i do use fuel treatment and yesterday morning used a flashlight to check for algae / growing things in my fuel tank ... none visible to the naked eye or in the visible filter (canít remember the filter mfg but itís the same everyone else seems to have installed.) fwiw, the diesel gen starts easily and performs flawlessly so iím think the fuel is good.

aside from this engine I have zero diesel experience but rinsing through yesterdayís feedback my take is the issue is with the solenoid so will check power to it first then manually manipulate it to see if I can fire it up. i mentioned this to a buddy of mine who has the same engine in his older dodge p/u and heís had the same symptoms and solution as described.

iíll report results as soon as I test - thx again!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
8.3 won't fire followup

thx again to every one for their feedback, much appreciated. since last post the weather has cleared and i have:

* discovered that i have a solenoid, P/N/ 240-22053, and a "coil commander", P/N SA-4759 (no mfg i.d. visible)

* tested solenoid connectors and confirmed power is getting from batts to the solenoid connector.

* primed the fuel sys, but not sure i primed it long enough - how long should i prime it for / how will i know it's primed?

* with the solenoid in place, i have wrapped my hands around the solenoid and had my friend turn the ignition on. starter spun as expected but i felt no internal motion from inside the solenoid ... shouldn't i have felt something inside activate / move.

* i gently tapped the solenoid with a tool and no change.

i have zero issue with replacing the solenoid if needed but wanted to test things through beforehand.

thanks again for your feedback and as always, any / all feedback is welcome.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would have thought you could have felt the solenoid working.

You might try taking the solenoid off and checking it, you can probably activate it by putting power to it to see if it works.

With the solenoid off you might try starting the rig, you'll have to manually shut if off though.

On my Kubota tractor I have a solenoid type fuel cutoff, it sometimes hangs but once I lubricate the shaft it will work again. I have a manual overide off/on pull so I can still operate the tractor.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Lift up or wire to the up position the fuel lever attached to the fuel shutdown solenoid.

Then crank the engine.

If the engine starts, you need to adjust the travel of the FSS lever or replace the solenoid (the two magnets inside the gizmo are not holding the fuel lever up properly).

If the engine starts, you will need to release the fuel lever to stop the engine or you can drive until you run out of fuel......

If the engine does not start, your problem is elsewhere....

The fuel lever actuator rod extends down and out of the grey vinyl billows in the attached picture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19202957392...m=192029573920
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire