RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
95 Monaco Dynasty charging issue

I have a 95 Monaco with a Cummins. Sometimes when I first start it the amp guage reads 10 amps and the tach is not working. I have been told the tach runs from the alternator but I am not sure. I had the alternator rebuilt last year but that does not mean there is a problem with it. After it runs for a little while the tach starts working and the amp guage reads 14.
I am leaving for Alaska in 8 weeks and I want to fix it before I leave.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
95 monaco dynasty charging issue

I assume that you mean the Volt gauge when you say Amp gauge.

If the alternator is a single wire model (like mine) it will not start charging till the engine revs up some. Typically mine will start charging, and the tachometer starts working, at around 1500-2000 rpm.

That is normal and does not need fixing.

My tachometer sometimes becomes erratic when I have the generator running, but I can tell from the Volt meter that is is still charging.

Paul

pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Yes volt guage. My alternator has 3 small wires and 2 very large wires connected to it. I think one of the large wires charges the house and the other charges engine battery.
I do not remember it doing it before. I am pretty sure the tach started working and the volt guage read 14 volts soon as I started the engine. I just noticed it doing it all the sudden late last year.
I also noticed the battery is low. I wonder if this caused the battery to go down or is the battery bad causing the delay in tach and proper charging because not enough voltage until the alternator makes enough voltage.
I am stumped.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your alternator is factory stock, it should be a Hehr alternator with an external regulator mounted on the rear wall close to the regulator. The regulator is replaced with a standard inexpensive Ford regulator.

The tachometer receives its signal from the AC (I believe) post on the alternator. If the tachometer is reading incorrectly or jumping around, usually the fault lies within the alternator, and usually indicates that the alternator will soon quit working altogether.

The heavy charge wire from the alternator can be traced going from the alternator to the solid state isolator on the engine firewall, passenger side near the back of the compartment. This isolator isolates the house batteries from the chassis batteries, and distributes the charge from the alternator appropriately to each bank of batteries. These isolators have a history of failure. Available from most auto parts stores. Make sure to get a 200 amp version.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:37 AM   #5
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Papa_Jim

I hope it is not the alternator because I just had it rebuilt. I guess with my luck it could be bad.
Do you think it is the regulator or the isolator? How do I check to see which one it is?
Thank You for your help
Old 04-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, you can check the middle post on the isolator. Make sure that you're getting over 14V there. If you are, then check the other two posts, see if you're getting voltage there. If you're getting voltage at the middle post and not at one of the other two posts, then the isolator is your problem. If your not getting voltage at the middle post, then the alternator and/or regulator is your problem. You can take your alternator and regulator to any good electrical shop and they can test them for you.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Papa_jim
I will check that and let you know the results.
Thank You very much for the information.
Chris
Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #8

I chased the same type of problem with my 1996 Signature. It ended up being the voltage regulator (after changing the alternator,,,) (I now have a good spare,,LOL) I Just got an old ford regulator out of a salvage yard and its been 100% ever since.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Ok i noticed battery was low so i charged the battery. I started it up and the tach worked perfect and charged at 14 volts. Could the battery being low cause the delay in the the tach and 14 volts on the guage or do i still have a problem. i checked the power going into the isolator, out to the house, and to the engine battery and they were all good voltage.

I do not mind buying the part I need but I want to buy the correct part.

Thank you again Chris
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #10

Still sounds like you have something not right. How long has it been since you started it last? These units don't usually draw of the engine battery while sitting by design. How old is the battery? How are the connections?
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
On my 01 I had an issue where the voltage meter on the dash was not showing a charge and the tach was not working. Turned out two of the three small wires connected to the alternator had worn through their crimp connections because they were at a tight angle to the wire. Mine plugged into a connector about 3' from the alternator so I could disconnect the three wires and then unplug the harness.
New connectors and all is well.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Ok I had the battery tested and it tested junk. I put a new battery in it and everything worked every time I started it up. I do not want to get my hopes up but hopefully the problem is solved. I am going to go on a short trip and see if everything works right.

Tags
monaco, charging