RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
96 Windsor...Air Compressor broke, Emer Air input no work...stuck..now what???

Well, air compressor blew a head gasket (see next post after i have a beer!!!) so I lost air pressure and brakes locked up. I thought " No Problem. just pressurize the system at the rear air input with my handy pancake compressor and I'll drive somewhere to get the compressor fixed". So I plugged in the electric compressor and it went to 100psi and nothing happened. I thought my coupler valve might be stuck so I took it off and air went through the valve but it doesn't go into the system. So what's happening?? Is what I thought was an emergency air input really an out-put only with a 1 way 'out only' valve????? Any help would be appreciated!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One follow-up. I replaced the Haldex air dryer with a Meritor if this has any bearing.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Paul,

My 98 Exe. has a out only air by the propane tank. If I want to put air into the system I have to put it in in the front by the gen set. There should be a connection there meant to be used when towing the coach. That is probably the only place you can put air into the system. The other connection has a check valve not allowing air to go in, only out.

Hope this gets you going.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On the 2 coaches I have had, 1999 Monaco Dip. and my current 2003 H.R. I have 2 air access's, one has a quarter turn valve and a type C male fitting that is an input to the coach air tanks. the other is an output, it has a universal female coupler fitting. It is not used to charge the system. The valves for my Monaco where in the roadside front cargo bay, the valves on my H.R, are next to the generator, with access when you slide the Generator out.
Good luck
John G.
PS when you input air to the coach from an external compressor it is not going through the air dryer system so I wouldn't use it too long?!
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

Paul,
Then I got to thinking. Same thing happened to me a few years ago on our first coach. I got a head gasket and the cummings guy told me to pull the head and sand it flat using emery paper. You will need a couple of sheets of fine sanding paper and a flat surface to sand the head flat. Get type writter size sheets of paper and work the head in a figure eight pattern until flat again. The head is thin and made out of aluminum and has warped after so many heat cycles. Mine was an easy fix and lasted several years after the simple repair. Good luck.
Attached Images

larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all responders. I'll post the results in case any one has the same problem. Polled a bunch of Monaco dealers as to the location of the input valve and they weren't much help..tow operators were the best source and suggested if I couldn't find a valve towards the front of the coach that I should then check the front tank and if an input is not available, they carry their own parts and install them in the valved bleed-out that is threaded; for the tow. So here's my modification ( a $3 elbow and a dollar male air tip) ...worked well, external air compressor got me going and engine air pump worked well enough at rpm to get me the 23 miles to the shop. Three pix, First the tank ( stains are soap sud trails as I tried to find an air leak that is collapsing suspension..no luck) first mod and second with protective tip...LOL
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Could get 3 pix to post so I'll try just the last one
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On our coach, the air coupler at the rear of the coach is air out - for getting air to inflate the tires, etc. There's an air coupler at the front of the coach behind the generator door. It's for putting air into the system, so a tow truck operator has a good place to hook up his air compressor.

Maybe yours is the same ?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ah Ha...photo files were too big to load...with help of son, got them down to internet size so will post for all to see. Happy Trails, Paul... Looks like it's one photo at a time...see next 2 posts for all 3 photos
Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
sorry all...wont load pix. anyone who wants a view just PM me.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
One more try, reduced to reading the FAQs, lets see if I can learn a new trick
Ah Ha, one does not add an attach via the "Add Video" box but by the "Manage Attachments" link further on, any way lets hope this works!!......LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010238.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	29815   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010239.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	29816  

Click image for larger version

Name:	reP1010240.JPG