Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
96 Windsor pretends she has a dead starter battery OR Where them volts B going?

Turn the ignition key on, Instruments lite up (sometimes "AltCharge" illuminates), turn key to "Start" hear relay/solenoid click, then nothing & instruments go dead. Cycle key (off-on) and no instruments lite up...all is dead, come back 5 min latter and turn key on, instruments lite up, turn key to start and hear click/instruments go off!!!

Battery has 12.8Vs at it's terminals and the same voltage is at the terminals, on the starter back, irregardless if instruments are illuminated or not.

Just went back for photos, about 3 hrs latter, and she's 100% dead at the key, with 12.8V at the battery. House batteries start the generator, but ignition is still dead with generator running.

Suspect there's a bad relay or solenoid in the circuit? If so, how do I find it?

Thanks in Advance for all suggestions

Paul

96 Windsor

Phoenix AZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010883.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	47557   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010886.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	47558  

Name:	P1010887.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	47559   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010888.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	47560  

Name:	P1010889.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	47561  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar issue with my 1999 Diplomat. The small terminal on the starter solenoid that comes from the starter relay had corroded to the point that it was a mass of rust. I replaced the starter and solenoid assembly, replaced the corroded cable end and haven't had any trouble since.
jd7566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

Which solenoid was that I have three plus the one on the starter itself I replaced the three in the run bays and checked all the wire connectors for corrosion but sometimes it still wont start without gen running.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Try cleaning ground strap from engine to frame. To see if it might help, fasten battery jumper cable from engine to frame and see if it starts better. Problem with using a multimeter to test voltage at the starter is it is a very small current, while current needed to start is very high and any resistance in bad connections can cause issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all prior posters. Will try to "Jump to Ground" and advise tomorrow, in the interim, here's more info
Oups...forgot to add that when she went totally dead, at the end of our play date, I disconnected/reconnected the battery in a feeble attempt to reboot any stuck relay/solenoid, but that did nothing ( maybe I need to reload the punch-cards..LOL). No corrosion is evident on any connection...just to to add a bit of info.

Paul
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have a battery 'boost' switch on the dashboard that ties the house batteries into the chassis batteries? Try pressing that switch as you crank the engine and see if it turns stronger. Another indication of a poor connection somewhere in the chassis system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I must confess ... house batteries are another story. I am in the process of changing out my two, BIG 12V batteries with four 6Vs. In my unit I need to modify the battery tray ( cut out back), been putting that off as the local temps have just broken the triple didgets, so have been waiting for cooler weather. I concur it would help if I could supplement the cranking side with the house side, but cranking should stand by it's self. In the interim, since the coach is in "winter storage" and I don't need house batteries, I've pulled the big cells and replaced it with an auto level battery just to keep the circuits intact, so the car 800 CCA battery wont do much good to crank the 6C8.3. Just FYI Thanks for your inputs...Paul
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You'all's ground suggestion was right on!!!

It was a ground problem. I jumped the ground and while better the circuit would still "drop dead" after an engine turn or two. I had checked the battery post connection and it seemed tight, but thought why not give it a couple of ratchet cranks. Tightened it till I saw the yoke start to bend and gave it a crank try...magic, she cranked right up...strong as ever!!! Thanks for all the help.

Tags
battery