Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan

Has anyone replaced their 97 Monaco Dynasty cooling fan? The stock one has a metal hub, and nine (9) "Multi Wing" plastic fan blades. The entire assembly is 24" in Diameter.

Each of the nine (9) fan blades is 8" long, 4" wide on the end, and 5" wide at the mounting base. I am guessing they are mounted at 40 degree angle. If you are looking at the fan from outside of RV, rotation is clockwise, resulting in pulling air toward the engine.

The metal hub has a 1 1/8" DIA. center mount hole, with keyway for fan motor mounting shaft.

There are two (2) additional mounting holes on the center hub that are 1 9/16" or 1 5/8" apart.

Does anyone have a source and part number for direct stock replacement?

Has anyone modified to a all plastic version from the Multi Wing website yet?
https://www.multi-wing.net/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	301358   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	301359  

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	301360   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	301361  

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	301362   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	301363  

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan7.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	301364  
Rightstuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #2

Hi Paul; I personally don't have any parts info. I would try contacting Source Engineering in Coburg Oregon as I understand they handle some of these cooling parts for Monaco Coaches. Check out their web site and see if you find any info there. Sure someone else here has the info you are looking for.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Attached is the parts diagram for my cooling fan, which shows it is a 26" diameter. The part number is 26-9-4ZLPAG-37.5 BS
I did a quick search and it did take me the Mulitwing site PDF on how to adjust so that may be the company that provided Monaco fans.

http://www.coolersbyrr.com/documents/Crowley%20Fan.pdf
This explains the part number sequencing and how to adjust.
I have not had to replace mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Engine Fan Cooling.pdf (78.4 KB, 45 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #4

Is there some sort of issue with it. Besides just a couple of small chips in blades. I work in industry and order many parts . If I had to guess low end cost of item like that not for RV just replacement part for ind. fan $600 but for RV ?$$. You seem to have the manufacture do you have to go through distributor or order in bulk.
We discussed getting it on motor shaft . I now see it has a taperlock. You extract the hub with "jack bolts usually same that are in hub" thread in the threaded holes it will remove/pull the taper lock and release pressure that tightens it on the shaft. You can put a screwdriver in the gap and spread it slightly if too tight on shaft , do it very carefully by hand ,not with hammer it can crack if careless" Taperlocks make things much easier and things can be adapted to several shaft sizes that way.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #5

97 Monaco Dynasty Chipped Fan Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Is there some sort of issue with it. Besides just a couple of small chips in blades. I work in industry and order many parts . If I had to guess low end cost of item like that not for RV just replacement part for ind. fan $600 but for RV ?$$. You seem to have the manufacture do you have to go through distributor or order in bulk.
We discussed getting it on motor shaft . I now see it has a taperlock. You extract the hub with "jack bolts usually same that are in hub" thread in the threaded holes it will remove/pull the taper lock and release pressure that tightens it on the shaft. You can put a screwdriver in the gap and spread it slightly if too tight on shaft , do it very carefully by hand ,not with hammer it can crack if careless" Taperlocks make things much easier and things can be adapted to several shaft sizes that way.
153stars,
Several of the blades have small chips, and hairline cracks. I would hate for a small imbalance to destroy my rebuilt HYD motor, down the road. (Even 5 to 10 years.) Because of my disabilities, this complete cooling system rebuild has been very hard on me physically. I will never be able to do this agian, and unless some miracle happens, I will not be able to pay a shop to repair, in the future.

So I have to get it right, like the original factory condition, so the cooling system will last another 20 years. (The rest of my lifetime.)

Here are pics of the nicks in the plastic fan blades:

What does everyone think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan10.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	301421   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan11.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	301422  

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan12.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	301423   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan14.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	301424  

Old 09-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan is Different than 2002 Monaco Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Attached is the parts diagram for my cooling fan, which shows it is a 26" diameter. The part number is 26-9-4ZLPAG-37.5 BS
I did a quick search and it did take me the Mulitwing site PDF on how to adjust so that may be the company that provided Monaco fans.

http://www.coolersbyrr.com/documents/Crowley%20Fan.pdf
This explains the part number sequencing and how to adjust.
I have not had to replace mine.
jacwjames,
Thank you for the info!
The setup on your 2002 Windsor is defiantly different than what I have on my 97 Dynasty.

Here is a embarrassingly stupid question:

In this picture, what direction would the fan assembly need to turn (Clockwise or Counter-clockwise), in order for the airflow direction to be toward the table?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan15.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	301437  
Old 09-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #7

Good morning Paul; Yes, getting older is a pain when you want to work on this stuff.

The answer to your question would be clockwise. Let's see what others say!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightstuffer View Post
jacwjames,
Thank you for the info!
The setup on your 2002 Windsor is defiantly different than what I have on my 97 Dynasty.

Here is a embarrassingly stupid question:

In this picture, what direction would the fan assembly need to turn (Clockwise or Counter-clockwise), in order for the airflow direction to be toward the table?
CCW as shown
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
CCW as shown

Looks like it should rotate counter clockwise.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #10

Yes CCW. Compare it to your ceiling fan in your house
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:01 AM   #11

97 Monaco Dynasty Cooling Fan Rotation Direction

I would think it would be CCW, like several of you have suggested.
Unfortunately, it turns clockwise!

So what are we missing here? Is it possible, it was mounted wrong from the factory, 23 years ago?

8.3Oilbuner, you are the only one so far to say clockwise. What do you know that the rest of us do not?

My HYD motor is out for a rebuild, so I can not say with certainty which direction it turns, but looking at this current eBay listing for the exact same motor, the motor turns clockwise, if you are looking at it from the outside of the RV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	301538  
Old 09-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #12

Maybe you can just get new blade/ blades from manufacture. But how to set the angle with little equipment ???? Machine shop. Some of what I believe I see is reinforcement strands composite but near the one chip maybe a crack.
Do you see any indication of any prior balancing on large metal hub , like a small pocket of metal ground away or drilled holes or blind holes ???.
Something like this may work to balance. If I used it I would measure distance to a table top and rotate all blades to same location. If not stupid off kilter I wouldn't sweat it.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002EPFE...ustomerReviews
If you can picture this. Two parallel pieces of angle iron "aluminium because it has smooth edges" leveled and spaced to fit blade a shaft that fits hub. Heavy side will go to bottom "if it rolls off not level enough". Similar things used to balance RC propellers spinning at 30K rpms.
There are places that balance rotating items not mounted on equipment. They may a rough in jig that would be fine for application.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #13

….CCW vs CW????....assuming your pic in post #6 is showing the outside of the hub, the blades would have to turn CCW [as viewed from outside the RV] to pull air thru the radiator and toward the engine...but again, this is a matter of "perspective."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #14

Good morning Paul; Well, this is a good one. I basically, from memory, that's not the greatest anymore, I took your fan and rotated it up to the the vertical position and installed it on the motor behind the radiator. I then, tried to remember the rotation while looking from the back side of the radiator out. Now, not 100% sure I have that correct! I think the fan, when looking at the back side mounted in the coach, runs clockwise. So if I am correct, the answer I gave you was wrong. I need to go out and get under the coach and see, in the mounted position, what direction the fan rotates to pull air in through the radiator. Could be a while as it is now raining here. Will post back when things dry out, unless you have the answer you are looking for. Sorry!

Tags
cooling, fan, monaco, monaco dynasty