RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

97 Monaco Dynasty Cummins Lower Engine Inlet Water Hose Replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the lower engine inlet water hose on a 97 Monaco Dynasty (1996-1998) with the older Cummins 6CTA 8.3 engine before?

After re-assembly of our entire cooling system, we have a leak on the top and bottom of this hose. Re-tightened the lower clamp, but I can not get to the upper clamp to tighten it.

Do you have to loosen or remove the metal hard pipe going to the lower radiator outlet to replace this hose?

Here is a video of disassembly, after the metal hard pipe was removed, showing how hidden this area is.
https://youtu.be/3t-ZGjc1Yvo

Right now I have about 4 gals of coolant installed in radiator. If I add more, it may start leaking at the top clamp on this hose agian. I will use the Bore-end scope to see if I can determine were the leak is occurring. (Cracked/broken hose or from clamps not tightened enough.

How do you access replacement of this hose? Is it from under the coach, or from the rear engine compartment opening?

Stuck, really need help from you pros and old timers out there please!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Engine Inlet Water Hose.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	305264   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Engine Inlet Water Hose2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	305265  

Rightstuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #2

97 Monaco Dynasty Metal Hard Water Pipe

The metal hard water pipe on the 97 Monaco Dynasty, is wedged in the U-Bolt saddles due to the fact it is angled both Up and Down and Side to Side. (See Drawings)

Meaning, with both U-Bolts removed, it is bound in place or wedged.

Thus it does not move easily, if at all.

So, I am looking to not remove the hard pipe, and just replace the lower engine inlet rubber J-hose. (90 Degree)

Is this even possible by a skilled RV or Cummins tech?

And how is it done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Hard Pipe.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	305270   Click image for larger version

Name:	97 Monaco Dynasty Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Hard Pipe2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	305271  

Old 10-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #3

How Do You Replace 97 Monaco Dynasty Lower Engine Inlet Rubber Hose?

So no one knows if you have to loosen or remove the metal hard pipe going to the lower engine inlet to replace the rubber hose?

How do you access replacement of this hose? Is it from under the coach, or from the rear engine compartment opening?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

97 Monaco Dynasty Lower Engine Inlet Hose Replacement Procedure

Since no one knew of the procedure, I have come up with the following. Please feel free to chime in with suggestions and/or comments. Please note your hose clamp socket size may differ from what I have listed.

1997 Monaco Dynasty Lower Engine Inlet Hose Replacement

Parts Required:
2.25 (Engine Side) to 2.00 (Metal Pipe Side) Dia. 90-degree hose (Or J-hose)
Engine end is 2 long before 90-degree bend
Hard metal pipe end is 6 long after 90-degree bend.
There is a metal spring inside the hose.
Cummins PN 3924701 $29.04
Two (2) NAPA PN BK 7051508 Hose Clamp $9.49

Tools Required:
9/16 Deep Socket and Socket Wrench (For Metal Pipe U-Bolt Mounts)
8mm Socket and 6 Cordless Drill Socket Extension (For Hose Clamps)
Cordless Drill (To loosen/tighten hose clamps)
Two (2) 5-Gal Buckets (To collect drained coolant)
Large Flat Head Screw Driver (To assist in hose removal)
Funnel with Hose (To refill coolant)
Paint Marker Pen (To mark metal hard pipe position on rear U-Bolt before disassembly)
1-Gal Container (To transfer coolant from 5-gal bucket to aid in refilling coolant expansion tank)

Removal Procedure:
1. Using leveling jacks, Extend Left Rear Jack completely.
2. From under left rear side, place 5-Gal Bucket under drain on radiator.
3. Drain minimum of 5 gals. of coolant from radiator into 5-Gal Bucket.
4. Loosen metal pipe U-bolts with 9/16 Deep Socket and Socket Wrench. Do not completely remove nuts.
5. Using Paint Marker Pen, mark directly on both sides of the rear U-Bolt, directly on metal hard pipe.
6. Place empty 5-Gal Bucket under hose area from underneath the coach at the rear.
7. Remove lower hose clamp with 8mm Socket, 6 Cordless Drill Socket Extension and Cordless Drill from rear engine access.
8. Climb under coach from rear left side, and sit up facing engine, in the area between the large mud flap, and rear fiberglass end cap of coach.
9. Loosen Upper hose clamp with 8mm Socket, 6 Cordless Drill Socket Extension and Cordless Drill.
10. The metal hard pipe is wedged in place, even with the U-bolts loosened. It takes a lot of force to manipulate in the following steps.
11. Push metal hard pipe toward the front of the coach. It will eventually move at least 4.
12. Remove lower hose from metal hard pipe. Inserting the Large Flat Head Screw Driver between the hose and metal hard pipe may be necessary, to break the rubber hose free.
13. Once lower hose is removed from metal hard pipe, grab hose and twist up and down on the lower engine inlet. If hose turns up and down, now apply force toward the front of the coach to remove hose and clamp.

Replacement Procedure:
1. Place new hose and loosened hose clamp on engine inlet and twist up and down while pushing toward the rear of the coach.
2. Adjust hose clamp so that it is on top, and facing slightly downward.
3. Slightly tighten hose clamp.
4. Place lower hose on metal hard pipe. Inserting the Large Flat Head Screw Driver between the hose and hard pipe may be necessary, to get the hose completely on the metal hard pipe.
5. Push metal hard pipe toward the rear of the coach, until rubber hose is in proper position, and paint marks are on both sides of the rear U-Bolt line up.
6. Tighten Upper hose clamp with 8mm Socket, 6 Cordless Drill Socket Extension and Cordless Drill.
7. Attach and tighten lower hose clamp with 8mm Socket, 6 Cordless Drill Socket Extension and Cordless Drill.
8. Now use Socket Wrench and 8mm Socket to tighten upper and lower hose clamps.
9. Tighten rear metal hard pipe U-bolts with 9/16 Deep Socket and Socket Wrench.
10. Climb out from under coach from rear left side.
11. From under left rear side, Tighten front metal hard pipe U-bolts with 9/16 Deep Socket and Socket Wrench.
12. Using Funnel and 1-Gal Container, transfer coolant from 5-gal bucket.
13. Refill the coolant back into the coolant overflow, using the Funnel and Hose.
14. Start engine and check for leaks.
15. Using leveling jacks, Retract Left Rear Jack completely.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure to stab the front jack down ~3/4" so that the front of the coach can pivot on it. If not the frame may flex enough and you might end up with a broken windshield.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #6

I am in the process of replacing all the hoses on a 98 Dynasty. I have removed the hard pipe to get better access to the lower rubber hose. It is certainly a poor design on Cummins part! Could not find a replacement for it till I read your post referencing a Napa part. Going to try and see if that part will fit my engine.
I am trying to find a suitable replacement for the rubber sheet that directs the airflow into the radiators. Since mine seems to have aged and has tears.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM   #7

Check Rightstuffer's other posts''click name- stats and threads started by" he took the time to list every part hose ect. other poster chimed in on rubber sheet material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo136 View Post
I am in the process of replacing all the hoses on a 98 Dynasty. I have removed the hard pipe to get better access to the lower rubber hose. It is certainly a poor design on Cummins part! Could not find a replacement for it till I read your post referencing a Napa part. Going to try and see if that part will fit my engine.
I am trying to find a suitable replacement for the rubber sheet that directs the airflow into the radiators. Since mine seems to have aged and has tears.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, cummins, engine, hose, monaco, monaco dynasty, replace, replacement, water