Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
98 HR Endeavor full wall slide problem

Hi all,

My 98 HRE full wall slide seems to come out unevenly just slightly.

Got under and looked at the rollers and motor and saw that one of the bushings on the front roller seems warped or bent (see pic).

i have no idea who the manufacturer is or how to go about fixing this. Any thoughts? Should I use grease on the rollers or on the tracks?

it is an electric system (not hydraulic) - is there a way to adjust it? also dont see a place/way to manually retract it if motor burns out. (sorry pics are sideways)

do you think it matters if i work on it either in or out?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	178895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	178896  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	178898  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

I guess my biggest questions are:
a) how do i get that bushing off
b) who manufactured the slide out on my HR
c) where can i find a new bushing
d) should the gear or track be lubricated/greased?

thanks
jim
Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

Has anyone ever worked on their slideout bushings?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I would contact the current manufacturer and ask their "technical" personnel.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Personally I would contact the current manufacturer and ask their "technical" personnel.
You mean call monaco/REV group or a slide oout manufacturer?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

To remove the bearing you need to loosen the two set screws in the larger diameter piece next to the bearing. This piece has slotted keys to keep it aligned. You may have to support the cogged wheel to keep the shaft level. Tap the peice with the set screws away from the bearing until the ends of the shafts are exposed. Take the two bolts holding the bearing carrier off. You can then slide the bearing off the shaft if there is enough space between two shafts. If not you will have to remove the shaft by loosing the set screws on the union peice on the other end of the shaft and sliding it so the shaft is free. Loosen or remove the bearing carrier bolts and the shaft sould be free to move out of the way. Don't know where to obtaing replacement bearings. You might be able to get them from a bearing anf shaft store. They look to be a stock type of bearing and not a custom designed item. If the bearing carrier is not reuseable you might be able to get one from an RV salvage yard.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPearson View Post
To remove the bearing you need to loosen the two set screws in the larger diameter piece next to the bearing. This piece has slotted keys to keep it aligned. You may have to support the cogged wheel to keep the shaft level. Tap the peice with the set screws away from the bearing until the ends of the shafts are exposed. Take the two bolts holding the bearing carrier off. You can then slide the bearing off the shaft if there is enough space between two shafts. If not you will have to remove the shaft by loosing the set screws on the union peice on the other end of the shaft and sliding it so the shaft is free. Loosen or remove the bearing carrier bolts and the shaft sould be free to move out of the way. Don't know where to obtaing replacement bearings. You might be able to get them from a bearing anf shaft store. They look to be a stock type of bearing and not a custom designed item. If the bearing carrier is not reuseable you might be able to get one from an RV salvage yard.
Thanks Wes. Any idea who made our slideouts? Wondering if i can get parts from the manufacturer. I know you had some trouble with your slide but cant remember what the issue was.

thanks
jim
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #8

My problem was my gearbox mounting lugs all broke off. I bought a new gearbox but wasn't sure how to get the shaft apart. I finally got ahold of an engineer at the manufacture of the torque nut and got the real info on how to loosen the nut. Just hold the female half of the shaft and loosen the nut with up to 150 foot pounds of torque to break it loose. It makes a nice snap when it breaks loose, tighten to 125 foot lbs. I have never been able to find out who the manufacture of the slide is. Nothing marked on any of the components. Klauber makes the motor/gearbox but not the complete system. I lube my slide cogs and rails with a silicon spray I get at Camping World. Do you use the two braces that go above the microwave when traveling? My slide seems to go out further on the bottom then the top. But the counter top is pretty close to level when the slide is all the way out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	179218Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	179219
Old 10-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-m...rings/=19qamiy

Should find a bearing here.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
My problem was my gearbox mounting lugs all broke off. I bought a new gearbox but wasn't sure how to get the shaft apart. I finally got ahold of an engineer at the manufacture of the torque nut and got the real info on how to loosen the nut. Just hold the female half of the shaft and loosen the nut with up to 150 foot pounds of torque to break it loose. It makes a nice snap when it breaks loose, tighten to 125 foot lbs. I have never been able to find out who the manufacture of the slide is. Nothing marked on any of the components. Klauber makes the motor/gearbox but not the complete system. I lube my slide cogs and rails with a silicon spray I get at Camping World. Do you use the two braces that go above the microwave when traveling? My slide seems to go out further on the bottom then the top. But the counter top is pretty close to level when the slide is all the way out.
Thanks Wes
I dont have the braces. Mine goes out further on bottom too. my slide topper droops and is pretty dirty/moldy. I moved the slide today and i dont see it twisting anymore. i think it has been like this for a long time (before i bought it) as the topper is showing long abuse. I will try to order parts and then clean the topper really well after repairs. I found in my owners manual that holiday rambler made this slide in house. they claimed it as their own innovation

would love to find some braces too.

jim
Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

Something else to check is the floor rollers. There are three or four. One under the couch, one under the drawers on the right side of the counter and one under the cabinet on the left side of the counter. There may be one in the middle also. The one under the couch is just steel and the ones that roll on tile have a plastic sleeve over the steel. You can access them by removing the plastic covers. The plastic on mine started to disintegrate so I replaced it with the closest diameter ABS tube I could find. It smoothed out the operation of the slide a lot.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When we purchased our new/used MH we had a similar problem. One of the slide out motors was bad and had to be replaced. Make sure both are working.

If you need to get replacement floor rollers call Cass Hudson 800-423-1511 and ask for Debbie. She is very knowledgeable and will help you.

https://casshudson.com/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #13

Question about that cog roller

I've been searching all day looking for who made those cog rollers. We just purchased this HR 1998 Endeavor. We discovered not only the inside rollers have the powdered "cheeto dust", but the mechanism that rolls the slide out - a rack and pinion type thing I think. Well, several of those "nipples" have snapped off, one even lodged in the track. We need to replace the cog rollers, but cannot find them anywhere. Any ideas?
Thanks!
pomustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
My problem was my gearbox mounting lugs all broke off. I bought a new gearbox but wasn't sure how to get the shaft apart. I finally got ahold of an engineer at the manufacture of the torque nut and got the real info on how to loosen the nut. Just hold the female half of the shaft and loosen the nut with up to 150 foot pounds of torque to break it loose. It makes a nice snap when it breaks loose, tighten to 125 foot lbs. I have never been able to find out who the manufacture of the slide is. Nothing marked on any of the components. Klauber makes the motor/gearbox but not the complete system. I lube my slide cogs and rails with a silicon spray I get at Camping World. Do you use the two braces that go above the microwave when traveling? My slide seems to go out further on the bottom then the top. But the counter top is pretty close to level when the slide is all the way out. Attachment 179218Attachment 179219
wes How did you hold the shaft ? also did u do this in the unit ? and when it broke loose did it just unscrew and come off ?

Tags
slide