Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
98 HR Navigator: re-roof

Owned my coach since 2003. Location central Florida. I am too old to get on ladders or roofs nowadays, so this year I hired a mobile rv tech to do an annual seal inspection/caulk. Once on roof top, told me I would be better off getting a re-roof than paying him for a band-aid job. I checked around and decided to get a PVC membrane instead of a roll-on coat. I was impressed with the strength of the new PVC roofing. Scheduled to install it in 2 weeks by rvmobileroofing.com. Cost about $5K. Any comments?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did he say what was wrong with it?
Old 06-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Did he say what was wrong with it?
X2 and did he show you any pictures of your roof?

Tim
Old 06-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #4

I could swear the Navigator about that age 96 ish IDR ,I was up on it and it had a fiberglass roof. Sheet down center seamed about 12-18" from rolled edge. Eternalbond was on those long seams, as owner had seams leak and professionally repaired. Hard to tell what was done when to every coach model.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
First mobile tech did not specify just how many places needed caulk, but said cost of Dicor would exceed cost of new roof. Referred me to local RV repair facility in nearby town. That dealer told me it would cost about $2500 to coat roof with sealant.
I researched roof replacement or sealant and saw video of PVC membrane and was sold on it. If it can be believed, it requires no maintenance after install. I look forward to never having to get up on the roof again.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have been up on that roof many times and have sealed the cracks myself over the past 20 years I have owned it. No, he did not show me pix... I knew he was telling me as it is. He did not suggest the PVC membrane, I came across this option myself during my search. He charged me for a call-out fee and would not benefit from a roof replacement.
I got the referral to rvmobileroofing from a link on the roofing manufacturer's site. They are located south of Tampa and I am north of Tampa, but within their service area. Their sales offer seemed to be the going rate. Product is about $600 and labor is $150/ft.
Hopefully this will extend the life of my motorhome beyond mine.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It's done.

I flew down to FL to be here before the roofers came. They took about 23 hours to re-roof my Navigator and that includes a little time to fix bad wood around a previously leaking Fantastic vent. That leak, btw, was supposed to be fixed by that so-and-so RV repair shop 3 years ago. It was obvious that it had not be repaired as it should have been.
Back to the roof: They removed everything off the roof including my KVH IN-MOTION satellite dome. Since I never have used it in the last 15 years or so, I told them not to re-install it. (The less roof penetrations, the better in my view.) Also removed permanently was a "booster" cellular antenna that was obsolete. I hardly ever listen to the radio, but decided to leave that antenna mounted. The air horns, however, were reinstalled slightly offset longitudinally (one a little ahead of the other). They swore they put them back on the original locations, but I have to take their word for it. They conjectured that it was to give a different tone when sounding... yeah, right.
Bottom line: would I do it again? Dunno. The membrane is wrinkled from where I can see the roof edges. They swear the wrinkles will come out when the sun causes them to shrink. ??? Not sure if I believe this but will wait and see. Not too impressed with the looks, but convinced my roof is now water tight.
BTW: my roof is/was fiberglass. It could have been sealed with a roll-on sealant, but to do it right would have meant removing all roof top items... so probably about the same labor.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to look at the Henry Tropi-Cool 887 roof coating. It has excellent reviews and has a lifetime warranty! Would probably cost you less than $500, plus installation!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Cost of material is not a problem. Labor is still the big ticket item. About $150 /ft is the going rate. The roof installations still have to be removed, and we found the source of a major leak that had been declared "fixed" by previous repair techs.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edingale View Post
I flew down to FL to be here before the roofers came. They took about 23 hours to re-roof my Navigator and that includes a little time to fix bad wood around a previously leaking Fantastic vent. That leak, btw, was supposed to be fixed by that so-and-so RV repair shop 3 years ago. It was obvious that it had not be repaired as it should have been.
Back to the roof: They removed everything off the roof including my KVH IN-MOTION satellite dome. Since I never have used it in the last 15 years or so, I told them not to re-install it. (The less roof penetrations, the better in my view.) Also removed permanently was a "booster" cellular antenna that was obsolete. I hardly ever listen to the radio, but decided to leave that antenna mounted. The air horns, however, were reinstalled slightly offset longitudinally (one a little ahead of the other). They swore they put them back on the original locations, but I have to take their word for it. They conjectured that it was to give a different tone when sounding... yeah, right.
Bottom line: would I do it again? Dunno. The membrane is wrinkled from where I can see the roof edges. They swear the wrinkles will come out when the sun causes them to shrink. ??? Not sure if I believe this but will wait and see. Not too impressed with the looks, but convinced my roof is now water tight.
BTW: my roof is/was fiberglass. It could have been sealed with a roll-on sealant, but to do it right would have meant removing all roof top items... so probably about the same labor.

here is an article we wrote last year on roof coatings for RV's it might be of some assistance to the group!

4 Reasons You Need the Right RV Roof Coating

Owning an RV is an incredible thing. It allows you to explore the country at your leisure, traveling when you want and then staying to explore areas that pique your interest. Your home on wheels provides all the comforts of a residential house, but with the ability to take it all with you. However, there are a few caveats that RV owners should understand. The most important of these is that you will eventually need to repair your roof, and preparing for that now is vital. In fact, having the right RV roof coating on hand can help with many different problems.

On the Spot Repairs

You know the experience – you’re lying in bed trying to get some sleep when a storm rolls through. The RV rocks with the force of the wind, and then it happens. A big bang sounds, and you know that something’s fallen on the roof. You check it out and find that a branch has caused serious damage to your roof. The right RV roof coating can make short work of that repair, providing you with protection immediately.

Larger Scale Repairs

The right RV roof coating can be used for more than just on the spot repairs. If your roof has sustained significant damage, you might need a larger scale repair. A good RV roof coating can be applied to prevent damaged areas from leaking, and to protect against further damage until you can have the roof professionally assessed. In some instances, you may need to replace the entire roof, but the new roof should be covered with an RV roof coating to provide it with robust protection from day one.

Waterproofing

One of the most significant problems with RV roofs is the potential for water leaks. Falling debris can cause water leaks, but so can drying rubber roofing material and stress. Once cracks form, water can begin to seep in, causing rot and other damage to the wooden frame supporting the roof, to your walls, and to other items in the interior of your RV. The right roof coating can be applied to cracks, holes, chips and other areas that might be letting water into the inside. What’s more, the right RV roof coating will be waterproof as soon as it is applied, without having to wait for it to cure.

Age-Related Repairs

Over time, your RV’s roof will sustain a great deal of wear and tear. Eventually, this will cause it to degrade and then to fail outright. You can prevent that from occurring, or even repair the damage caused by the aging process and exposure to UV light by applying an RV roof coating immediately. The right coating product will block almost 100% of UV light, provide complete waterproofing, and last for years to come.

If you have an RV, your roof needs the protection that is only offered by liquid roof coatings. RV Liquid Roof is one of the most advanced formulations on the market, providing robust protection immediately.

Source:

Rvroofmagic
RV Roof Magic.com The RV Industry's DIY roof coating for over 30 yrs. 10-Yr Warranty. Our proprietary solvent allows for a chemical cross-link cure not found in other coatings.No primer needed one coat! Call 855-281-0907
RVRoofMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof