Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
Feeling a little bummed out this evening. I went over to look a the coach again and check out somethings you guy's told me and the Motor wouldn't even turn over. When you hit the key there was just one click and no turning over. We put a jump box on starter battery with no change except for some reason one of the coach batteries became hot and even put acid out top of fill hole and vapors. Is the single battery on top the starter battery and the bottom two the coach battery. Need some advice. Would the starter go gad just sitting in storage, also coach is plugged in to electricity.
The top battery (probably an 8D battery) is the engine start battery. The two in the drawer below are the house batteries (4D). There may be a button on the dash that combines the output of all batteries for emergency start. It is labeled something like "jump," "bridge," "combine," "emergency start," or something like that.

I agree with the poster above that the starter is unlikely to suddenly die. I would first suspect the battery terminal connections. You could use the battery disconnect switches to cut the power, and then clean the terminals thoroughly. If the cable ends are not molded on, take them apart and clean them. A short soak in Coke or Pepsi really works to clean them up!

Second, make sure the battery disconnect switches have not been turned off.

I don't remember the exact symptoms... There is a remote start box in the engine bay. If one of the switches is activated - like when someone accidentally bumped it - the normal starting system won't work. Yes I have done that, and spent half a day trying to fix a problem that did not exist!

I tried a small jump box on the RV once, and it seemed to make no difference. Maybe just too small of a capacity for overcoming a huge depleted battery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
There is a rear start function, it is in the engine compartment probably left side. Two switches, one says "Front & Rear Start" the second one is the start/stop. If you are hearing a click at the drivers seat this may not be the problem but worth checking, if you had done anything in engine compartment it is easy to hit, took me a couple hours of head scratching when I accidentally hit the front/rear button.

It sounds like the starting battery is bad. If the house batteries are good there is a boost switch that combines the two and you might be able to start. If not might need a new battery that the owner should cover as they would have to if you weren't going to buy.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #31

additional note. A poster mentioned the coach having an engine with electronic controls. This may be true - could have been a feature on the nicer coaches, or on those built later in the year. Our 1998 Windsor has a C8.3-300 without electronic controls.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #32

Quote:
This is the second dash ac unit i've seen unhooked, whats he reason for that.
The dash AC in motorhomes...

Some work great forever. Some are totally inadequate from the factory. They are expected to cool a huge space, and they are assembled from a variety of components, They have 70-80 feet of hose to push through...

Our dash AC worked fairly well six months ago, and was dead last week. Probably a refrigerant leak - I am replacing engine coolant hoses so I have not looked at it yet.

How disconnected? A missing belt could just mean that the belt is broken, and all of the rest is OK. If the compressor lines are disconnected, maybe something more serious.

The components are usually very common stuff, sourced from car replacement part manufacturers.

Me? I would not consider that a deal-breaker. Run the generator, and enjoy your wonderful roof air units. Probably cost under $2 an hour in fuel and they will work so much better. Investigate the dash air later. If it will be $1000 plus to repair, just shrug it off.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #33

Hi again Rodrigo; As to the starting issue. Sounds to me like the 8D starting battery might have a problem. Not sure why one of the house batteries got hot as there would be no connection between the starting battery and the house batteries unless the battery boost switch was on while you were trying to start the coach. As others here have mentioned, batteries can have problems that can cause other problems. Also if the capacity of the starting battery is bad a jump pack does not supply enough amps to start or turn over the engine. I would not write anything off yet. Make sure the batteries are all in good shape before trying to figure out what the starting problem is. If the owner will let you take the batteries out to a good reliable battery store and have them checked to see if they are in tip top shape. Batteries can drive you nuts if they are not up to snuff. I check the water in my batteries once a month and check the specific gravity every other month so I know what their condition is.

Don't give up yet! Let us know what you find out so more info can be provided and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #34

Do not know your battery set up but as said the non starting would not be a deal breaker, could be a battery or corroded connection. The hot battery sounds strange as if you weren’t in boost mode the house batteries should not come into play and the boost switches are normally spring loaded. Now they control a solenoid that could hang up and tie the systems together but that doesn’t happen a lot. Remember the house batteries are usually 6 volt units in parallel if you have 2 for a 12 volt output. Be sure when trying to jump or charge you didn’t somehow get 12 volts on just 1 of the 6 volt batteries.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #35

I didn't bail on my rig because of a weak set of batteries owner and I got It going on his dime. It wouldn't be impossible to conceive that the battery leads have been swapped to the other set of batts, or some form of jumper at the battery isolator or booster is welded closed. Mine which is just a "high end Dynasty "were 2 group 31 12v as start in top tray look like deep cycle. 8D house in bottom look like semi starting batts . Are you sure you didn't get these confused ?
If you help swap batteries take pics and tape/ziptie wires per lug . Many posts of missing wires that disappeared behind battery tray. My house battery tray was a little to short to fit four golf cart batts. That are better deal than deep cycle 8D IMHO. I cut off the bent lip that faced inward to the tray. They fit with some extra space on one side . I store few handy items in there. The previous owner had installed starting 8D batts for house instead of deep I remove top tray cover and used those as starting batteries instead of pair of group 31 commercial starting batts. No use wasting $300-400 of batteries. I spent a couple hours cleaning all frame grounds and dedicated ground on starter as well as every battery lead.
Menards near me has AC Delco gp31 that have 18mo warranty as most only carry 12mo.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #36

Rodrigo, X2 on the posters that advise getting an oil analysis sample BEFORE you have oils changed. Have the shop get viable samples first and then change engine oil, flush and change tranny oil, generator oil. Flush the cooling system. Again, this should be done by a reputable diesel shop as it is very involved and lots of caustic fluids... make sure to tell them to put in an ECL type antifreeze which eliminates SCA testing and the antifreeze lasts forever. Also, while doing this antifreeze job, it is a good idea (very good idea) to change out all hoses and belts. Don't have much advise on the starting issue. Sounds like a bad battery. Let the current owner fix that! On tranny oil, since this is an Allison, replace ONLY with Transynd. Transynd ain't cheap but you should never have to do it again. Generator: you should flush genny radiator and replace the thermostat and the radiator cap. If generator is on a slide, that would be great news as this means changing the thermostat is doable by you as well as being able to examine the engine of genny and replacing the belt if needed. Check out Youtube vids. If the HWH system is working, just leave it alone. Be sure to test the fridge but beware it takes 24+ hours to cool down. Air system is really something a chassis shop would need to check out IMHO.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #37

98 Monaco dynasty

I see tommar that you own a1998 newmar dutchstar. I'm looking at a 2001 newmar dutchstar now it has 81000 miles on it. I haven't viewed it in person yet but it looks really nice from pics. The family is selling because the husband is going to have to have a liver transplant. Its a 3891 model on freightliner chassis with a 300 hp cummins. Is that enough power for that coach. What should I look for. They say it has 1500 miles on a new set of michelins they purchased a year ago. Said everything works and it drives great.
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
i have a 97 endeavor id be all over that air sucks in the front dont sweat it my tires were old i didnt know any better heck mine are 9 yrs old now it will serve you well if its clean id grab it in a heartbeat youll have a ball tires are cheap less than 3k put toyos on it it feel free to pm me ill give u my number battery ran dry more than likely happens if u dont checkem dont over analyze it bro
Old 07-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #39

Quote:
I see tommar that you own a1998 newmar dutchstar. I'm looking at a 2001 newmar dutchstar now it has 81000 miles on it. I haven't viewed it in person yet but it looks really nice from pics. The family is selling because the husband is going to have to have a liver transplant. Its a 3891 model on freightliner chassis with a 300 hp cummins. Is that enough power for that coach. What should I look for. They say it has 1500 miles on a new set of michelins they purchased a year ago. Said everything works and it drives great.
81K miles on a diesel is nothing so mileage is not really a factor. Diesels can go for one million miles! I'm not sure that the 300 h.p. figure is accurate. My coach is 325 h.p. How long has the current owner owned the coach and does he have records, manuals etc.? Dutch Star is a great coach with quality interior; the woods and fit of my coach for example is excellent. Everything that I said about the Discovery holds true with this coach, i.e. what to look for and what to do. I'm assuming that this freightliner chassis also is a side radiator coach. Side radiators are a big plus IMHO. What's the asking price? I paid $26K for mine in early 2017. Since you are looking at a 2001 coach, this will have electronic fuel injection and is most likely a 6CT8.3 engine. My coach was built in 1998 and Cummins was transitioning to computerized engines and the electronic fuel injection; some coaches had this and some had the mechanical fuel injection and I believe mine is mechanical. The good thing is that until 2007, all engines (CAT and Cummins) had no emission controls which are problematic to this day.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #40

98 Monaco dynasty

They are asking 30,000 dollars and for some reason the spartan has a 325 hp and the freightliner has a300 hp according to what I could find. Thanks for the quick response,
Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #41

98 Monaco dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
additional note. A poster mentioned the coach having an engine with electronic controls. This may be true - could have been a feature on the nicer coaches, or on those built later in the year. Our 1998 Windsor has a C8.3-300 without electronic controls.
Matt things have changed somewhat I'm now looking at a 2001 newmar dutchstar and it has a 300 HP cummins, is that enough power. It also has freightliner chassis instead of the spartan. Which is best or are they comparable. I also was wondering what it cost to stay in an RV park. Lots of questions.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Weight has a lot to do with whether there's enough HP. Rule of thumb is 1 HP per 100 lbs of weight. So if the engine is 300 HP and the coach is lest the 30,000 lbs you might be OK.

Best thing to do is start doing some internet searches for RV parks in areas you want to visit and see what rates they offer. There are sometimes offers for weekly and monthly rates. Some offer discounts for AAA, Good Sam, AARP etc, just have to ask.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty