Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 09:00 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
I was about to get tires back in Feb when the Covid 19 pandemic started to rear it's ugly head.
I did some research and started checking on prices and found the Toyo's were about the best economic option. I think a set of 6 for me was going to be about $3400 out the door. I did not pursue because of the virus.

Tires will normally age out before wearing out. I did have a set of Michelins back in ~mid 2000's on my Class C that had severe cracking when I changed them, they were about 5 years old.

I have Bridgestones on my Class A now, they have held up pretty well and the fronts are aged out. (I haven't taken a trip since 2015) They are 11 years old and will change before traveling.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
It might behoove you to immediately join FMCA and get a big discount on tires...and then have the tire company they show in your area send someone out with all tires and have them put on where er the RV is at this time.
jabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:24 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Algae

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
I'm looking at a 1998 monaco dynasty 36 foot with one super slide. It's a one owner with 50000 miles, nice condition, 325 hp cummins allison tranny. They want 25,000.00 dollars is it worth that and is that a good coach? It has been stored for 10 years. I know I will have to replace tires, belts and hoses. They just replaced the batteries.
I purchased a 1998 Monaco Windsor and discovered Diesel Algae in the fuel which plugged all fuel filters on the way home with it. Apparently caused by the fuel sitting for over a year. There is a treatment that can be used. I had to drain all the fuel out and replace all fuel filters. Hopefully they treated the fuel.
Randy3282001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #60

98 Monaco dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy3282001 View Post
I purchased a 1998 Monaco Windsor and discovered Diesel Algae in the fuel which plugged all fuel filters on the way home with it. Apparently caused by the fuel sitting for over a year. There is a treatment that can be used. I had to drain all the fuel out and replace all fuel filters. Hopefully they treated the fuel.
What is the fuel treatment? A good possibility with the one I just purchased. Has anyone had any experience with Hankook tires or goodyear? Whats the favorite rv tire. The coach I just purchased weighs 30500 lbs.
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
What is the fuel treatment? A good possibility with the one I just purchased. Has anyone had any experience with Hankook tires or goodyear? Whats the favorite rv tire. The coach I just purchased weighs 30500 lbs.
My rig weighs similar.

I removed the Original Michelin tires at @ 7 years.

Toyo for 8 years.

Bridgestone for 7 years.

Toyo again for 4 years.

Tires are a Ford vs Chevy discussion of which there are many on this forum.

Use the search function for years of entertainment and knowledge.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel treatment

Here is the Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide that we have been using every since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	295320  
Randy3282001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my rig for a dealer in Florida, no idea it had sat down there as it was a repo.

Drove it back to TN without a problem and had it serviced at a Cummins shop, no mention of Algae problems.

We then made a long trip and on return I did a complete service. When I pulled the primary fuel filter the inlet holes were almost completely covered over with a black stringy slime, Algae.

Did some research and started using a combination of Biobor which kills the algae https://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-diesel/ and Startron Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Diesel Additive which is an enzyme with breaks it down so it doesn't clog filters. I will use this about every 3rd or 4th time time I filled up and every time I put the rig into a long term storage when not planning a trip. Never had a problem after that.

I also use diesel kleen which help keep the injectors clean and improves lubricity. https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-kleen-cetane-boost/
I'll use this about every 3rd tank.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #64

98 Monaco dynasty

I told the people that own the 98 dynasty that I would take it but now there seems to be a problem. The dash lights won't come on and the motor does not engage from the key. Check in back and the rear start switch is set for front. When you try to charge the lower 2 batteries the generator begins to try to turn over and won't quit. Also one of the 2 batteries linked together starts smoking. I've never in my 72 years went back when I've told someone I would take it. I'm in a pickle now because I don't know what to do. I known these folks for every and have always found them trust worthy and they say they will have some one fix it. I don't doubt that it will start and run because I personally drove it about a year ago and it hasn't been driven since. I'm most worried about what else could be wrong. It's sat for at least 10 years in controlled storage other than when I drove it. Need advice from you guys. I firmly believe a man should stand behind his word and I don't want to not stand behind mine this late in life.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Your post has brought me back to life ! We have been debating whether to sell it or get it back on the road. We have a 98 Dynasty Duke 38' with no slide. Bought it 4 years ago for $32,000 with 65,000 miles. We have only used it twice for camping, but do drive it every 6 months locally to keep it exercised. I currently have it parked in our barn i had built 2 years ago, so it has been protected well. These are great coaches that were built strong.

I just put 6 new Toyo M122 tires on it for $3400 out the door. Things that i have had done or done myself are...front wheel bearings re-packed, new passenger side windshield installed ( thanks FMCA ), new rv refridge , Transynd fluid and filter changed. I replaced the lower 2 house batteries ( 2 12 V batteries ) with 4 6v Duracell batteries and also removed the lower battery tray and made it bigger plus new slideouts. Put all new battery cables on all the batteries. I do need to replace one air bag that has a slow leak.

Most things i can do myself ( retired airline mechanic ) but let the pro's handle the big stuff. The people on this forum have been a great asset to me for when i have needed help. So you will always have an answer from someone. Sounds like you found a great coach that needs some TLC !!

Since this engine is mechanically it has a mechanical fuel shutoff that gets energized from the ignition key. I had to buy a new fuel shut-off switch as the old one would not reset to start. But you can go under the coach or raise the bedroom bed and manually reset the switch by hand.

Now....i need to get back down to the barn and take the grand lady out for a drive !!
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Agree with getting the coach inspected.

Price might be OK if everything checks out but tires could run $4K or more.

The Dynasty is the the 3rd from the top in the Monaco line up. A very nice coach and if in good condition could make a for a good ride.
What's the 1st 2
Robd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Signature

Executive
Old 08-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
I believe there had to be new batteries installed. Are you sure they are hooked up right.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #69

98 Monaco dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I believe there had to be new batteries installed. Are you sure they are hooked up right.
That was my thinking but he says they are right. Are the bottom 2 batteries that are hooked in sequence the house batteries or are they the starting battery. The top battery is a single. One of the problems is that the coach is set low and I can't get under it and the generator comes out the front and the building the coach is in just fits the coach so you can't get to generator. Can't pull it out of bldg because the air is off and brakes are set. I don't know if I had mentioned that when you hook up bottom batteries the gen starter starts turning over. Could this be a stuck relay? Also is there a place to hook up outside air to unlocks brakes? I've looked at couple of the Windsor model and I really like the opposing slides.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
The top single battery should be for starting and the lower 2 should be for the house, two 6 volt batteries in series for a 12 volt system. Make sure they are hooked in series.

Generator trying to start might be because the inverter is set to start the generator because it is showing low voltage. AGM automatic generator start. Try turning off the inverter, there is a switch on the inverter that can be turned off.

There is an air connection, unfortunately you have to open the generator compartment to get to it.

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty